Bob Green

Kenpom wins.
    Duke wins.

Wendell. Moore. what a game.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    A complete game by Wendell.

Wendell was a stud, he's going to be our solid, steady veteran. Would like to see Roach play more of a senior Quinn Cook role and look for his 3 more. Keels had a few good moments but also struggled a bit. Same with Paolo. When Williams gets his head on right and plays the way he is capable of, this team will go to another level.

Very nice game by Wendell. The offense just wasn't right for most of the game, but it was nice to see the defense keep us going until the offense picked it up at the end. Paolo had a few big time moves. Good to see Roach hit a few threes. I'd like to see AJ more involved.

25.5 point spread (I don't partake but enjoy following)

Now time for some USA soccer!

Moore was fantastic. Keels struggled offensively but had 6 steals and really excelled on defense. Banchero was great on the boards and scores so efficiently. Acceptable 3-point shooting and very good FT shooting. The biggest issue was dumb turnovers and bad half court execution.

Keels and Williams missing multiple shots at the rim, rushed wide open 3 pointers especially in the first half and first half turnovers kept this one from an early blow out.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Damn I had a long commentary going and the thread shut down.
    Moore and Roach were the only 2 that had really good 40 minute games.Banchero has the capability to play much better than tonight.

Williams seems to be struggling first 2 games. John was not that sharp tonight either.The hype on Joey Baker has exceeded his shotmaking abilities. He passes on open shots too much and is too inconsistent. Spatola the announcer mentioned it as well.The other announcer missed pronouncing Art Heyman's name, but corrected himself and repeated his name again.I don't know if they tracked assists in his era,but I would think Art Heyman had more than 1 Triple Double. Moore was the 5th Triple Double. Shelden Williams,RJ Barrett, and Eugene Banks are the others.
    https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...elden-williams

Keels did not shoot well,but he is still good in every facet of the game. Team rebounding can be worked on. Better than Kentucky game,but John and Williams are having position issues. Blakes, Griffin and Jones all scored. We need to develop a reliable bench. They will improve with some playing time.Griffin will get better. Good ending,but we were not a high tuned team tonight. Starts and sputters until last 6 or 7 minutes.

Energy was not great for the first 25 or so minutes but I sort of expected a let down game. Wouldn’t shock me to see John start tomorrow, he’s playing better than Williams right now even though Mark has the higher ceiling. Good moments from lots of places but mostly a learning experience kind of game. Moore was everything we hoped he would be coming into the season.

Deceptive final score, pretty much a 10 to 12 point game for the first 30+ minutes before we finally got some separation. Some of it was Rucker getting hot, but we turned the ball over a little too much and the offense was gummed up with the poor three point shooting and spacing before Roach finally went off.

I did like that we tried to get the ball inside more in the second half and got Army in the bonus sooner, I think our attack was a little slack in the first half after the hot start and Army had very few fouls.

Wendell was awesome and so was our defense, really impressed at how well we contain at the point of attack and how connected our guys are. i assume there was a bit of a hangover after the Kentucky game, plus we’ve got another game tomorrow night so K was running a lot of players in and out. Tomorrow night and the next few games will hopefully help us establish more rhythm offensively.

Some thoughts:

1. Our offensive play was very sloppy at times tonight, but I thought we showed flashes of greatness on defense. Particular shout-out to Wendell and Roach, who were both very disruptive in passing lanes. Being able to defend quick guards is an ingredient for success in March, and early indications are that we’ll be able to do that.

2. Mark Williams needs a confidence-booster game or two. Going against Tshiebwe on Tuesday and a tough, physical Army team hasn’t been the easiest start to the season for him. I’m optimistic that he’ll outperform against Campbell and Gardner-Webb.

3. Wendell, it would seem, has made The Leap. What I’m most impressed with is his newfound ability to finish through contact, especially in transition. Last season he’d have lost control of the ball or gotten blocked at the rim. This year he’s gotten much better at body control, which lets him hang in the air a bit longer to get those tough buckets.

4. Keels needs to continue to learn to play through contact when fouls aren’t being called.

5. Kenpom predicted a 84-59 win for Duke tonight. Spooky. (And Duke covers!)

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Wendell, it would seem, has made The Leap.
    This. And it may be the most important development we have all year.

Triple double, fifth in Duke history, with one turnover.

Wow, just wow.

Loving that junior leap.

I think our offense just needs to slow down a little. We missed a lot of open passes and had the ball stripped on a few plays that should have been layups. Everything just felt a bit hurried. We will get there. Love the defense.

Did anyone else notice that at one point during the game, Coach K seemed to be irked by something that Army's Jalen Rucker said or did? From our seats, it appeared that Coach K was pretty animated, first saying something to Rucker while he was out on the court in front of the Duke bench, then discussing it with an official while pointing to Rucker before turning to direct a few words towards the Army coach. At the next timeout, the Army coach had a brief conversation with Rucker, who later came over to the Duke bench and appeared to apologize to K. Did I just imagine all that, or was something going on? I've never seen K talk to an opposing player on the court like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Did anyone else notice that at one point during the game, Coach K seemed to be irked by something that Army's Jalen Rucker said or did? From our seats, it appeared that Coach K was pretty animated, first saying something to Rucker while he was out on the court in front of the Duke bench, then discussing it with an official while pointing to Rucker before turning to direct a few words towards the Army coach. At the next timeout, the Army coach had a brief conversation with Rucker, who later came over to the Duke bench and appeared to apologize to K. Did I just imagine all that, or was something going on? I've never seen K talk to an opposing player on the court like that before.
    Someone asked about this in the postgame press conference and Coach K didn't want to talk about it. I didn't see anything on TV and the announcers didn't mention it. I'd definitely be interested to see some video of this.

I think it was Luke DeCock that tweeted that he saw something happen between them. Then I guess he asked K about it in presser and K said he would rather talk about Paolo on the cover of Slam. So something definitely happened.

Not exactly military precision, but a win's a win.

WMJ's game has really taken a step up...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese