Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    I wonder if they just wanted to get a jump on other schools, since there are so many coaching vacancies this year. Or maybe they have someone, like Shane Beamer, in mind.

At any rate, there is lots of competition to be shopping for a head coach this year. Unfortunately for us.
    Here's at least a partial answer to that question.

Babcock said it was a mutual agreement to separate. Once it became clear that Babcock could not guarantee another year, Fuente decided it would be best to leave rather immediately rather than finish out the season.

Babcock said the buyout was negotiated down from $10 million to $8.75 million to be able to make the move now. Had the Hokies waited until Dec. 15, the buyout would have decreased to $7.5 million
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...football-coach
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Here's at least a partial answer to that question.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...football-coach
    I love coaching buyouts. So by not coaching two more weeks and getting an early start on Thanksgiving, Coach F picks another $1.25 million. VT pulled off some masterful bargaining to ink that deal. /s

Michigan State about to mortgage the farm to keep their HC. I believe 90 million for 10 yr extension.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Michigan State about to mortgage the farm to keep their HC. I believe 90 million for 10 yr extension.
    I don't understand sports contracts, nor even come close to pretending to, so someone take me to school.
    Why on this green Earth would you give any coach a 10 year extension?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

If you think Sparty offering HC Mel Tucker 10yrs $90mil is outrageous - LSU (according to multiple sources) have offered Oklahoma HC Lincoln Riley 8yrs $96 mil.

I don't understand sports contracts, nor even come close to pretending to, so someone take me to school.
    OPM...other people's money.

Insanity comes to mind.

Big business. From limited research, the stadium seats 75,000 and average ticket prices appear to be around $50 per game. 7 game season X $50 X 75,000 (if full) = $26,250,000. Obviously these numbers are "rough" and do not account for all factors (including increased giving when team is doing well/parking/concessions), but a sizeable % reduction in fan attendance due to poor performance is a big deal. I don't really agree with a 10-year extension though.

This is one reason Duke cannot compete at this level.

Beats the heck out of me. I can't recall a time where we've seen something like that and had it work out absent all-time greats. Charlie Weiss and Paul Hewitt (not a 10 year deal exactly, but a similar kind of thing) come to mind off the top of my head (no doubt there have been some​ successful coaches on 10 year contracts).

So 5-years from now you can pay $40 million to buyout the contract because he failed to beat your rival and win it all?

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    So 5-years from now you can pay $40 million to buyout the contract because he failed to beat your rival and win it all?
    Highly likely that in exchange for a ten year contract, the buy out was reduced significantly from a straight pro rata...obviously I don't know that for a fact, but that would make sense. Also could be that with a reduced buy out should they want to fire him, he might have a reduced buy out should he want to take an NFL job or something.

Seems to be paying off so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    If you think Sparty offering HC Mel Tucker 10yrs $90mil is outrageous - LSU (according to multiple sources) have offered Oklahoma HC Lincoln Riley 8yrs $96 mil.
    I have no opinion either way on Mel Tucker, but twenty minutes into his big clash with tOSU, he's getting thrashed in the ugliest of manners.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I have no opinion either way on Mel Tucker, but twenty minutes into his big clash with tOSU, he's getting thrashed in the ugliest of manners.
    49-0 now lol.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Couldn’t survive getting blown out by the Gamecocks. I guess Harsin is safe for now since it’s his first year at Auburn. But judging from their message board last night, his seat is already warming up.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    49-0 now lol.
    I know it doesn't speak well of me but I'm a little happy with Mel's loss. He was the coach of my Colorado Buffaloes - one day he denied that he was interested in Michigan State - the next day he resigned and took the Michigan State job. He knew his agent was negotiating with Michigan State when he said he wasn't interested.

Sour grapes, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I know it doesn't speak well of me but I'm a little happy with Mel's loss. He was the coach of my Colorado Buffaloes - one day he denied that he was interested in Michigan State - the next day he resigned and took the Michigan State job. He knew his agent was negotiating with Michigan State when he said he wasn't interested.

Sour grapes, I know.
    Not a bit. I'm still feeding off the sour grapes I acquired after Spurrier checked out from Duke early and cacked up the '89 bowl game. I was living in Colorado when Tucker pulled his act, and although I had no skin in that game it still left me with a bad impression.

And I am taking a perverse delight in Mullen's firing. I think it is a very bad look when a coach walks out on one team and assumes the coaching job for another team in the same conference. I never liked Tuberville after he pulled that on UMiss. Mullen got his just desserts; he probably reached his peak level of competence with Miss St and would have probably been safe there for many years. Plus, I just plain hate the Gators (another Spurrier reference there).

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post

Sour grapes, I know.
    Oh, it’s fair. I feel the same about what Lane Kiffin did to Tennessee even though I have no dog in the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Not a bit. I'm still feeding off the sour grapes I acquired after Spurrier checked out from Duke early and cacked up the '89 bowl game.
    I don’t blame Spurrier for going back to his Alma Mater and he is more than square in my book. Agree the bowl debacle was painful but not sure the narrative of “we just showed up to party” (my words, not yours) is accurate or not.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Not a bit. I'm still feeding off the sour grapes I acquired after Spurrier checked out from Duke early and cacked up the '89 bowl game. I was living in Colorado when Tucker pulled his act, and although I had no skin in that game it still left me with a bad impression.
    You can't blame Spurrier for taking the Florida job...blame Duke for not giving the job to Spurrier when they got rid of Red....as for the bowl game, all he had to do was ride Dave Brown's hot hand...instead of benching him for Billy Ray IMO