Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Penn St losing is costing HC Franklin a fortune. USC or LSU may not want to pay big $$$ for a coach that cant win the big games. Let alone his poor game management.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Plus, Vandy’s BBQ is in Statesboro. Hit the one near the courthouse, Coach, and not the one at the mall.
    I concur, but I’ve only been to the spot near the courthouse and wasn’t aware of the other. As with most Georgia Q joints, the Brunswick stew is delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I concur, but I’ve only been to the spot near the courthouse and wasn’t aware of the other. As with most Georgia Q joints, the Brunswick stew is delicious.
    They make all the stew in Brunswick. That's why.

Butch Davis out at FIU

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    Isn't it always with Davis?

Yea, NEVER a good sign when your employer posts the "help wanted" ad for your job WITHOUT telling you and while you're still working in that job!

Yeah. On the one hand, it’s a bad sign when your employer starts posting the job half-way through the season.

On the other hand, Davis said they undermined him, but his 4-15 record over the 2.5 seasons prior to that posting (and 0-4 since), with the 1 win this season against barely D1 LIU was probably pretty undermine-y already.

Miami just fired the AD, Blake James. Further evidence that Manny Diaz' tenure may not be very much longer at the U

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ami-hurricanes

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by ElliottHoo View Post
    Yeah. On the one hand, it’s a bad sign when your employer starts posting the job half-way through the season.

On the other hand, Davis said they undermined him, but his 4-15 record over the 2.5 seasons prior to that posting (and 0-4 since), with the 1 win this season against barely D1 LIU was probably pretty undermine-y already.
    Very true. Sure was a quick dropoff for them, though.
    He led the Panthers to bowl appearances in 2017, 2018 and 2019 -- the best three-year record (23-16) in team history -- before FIU went winless last year.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Per The Athletic, Justin Fuente let go at VT; Napier, Chadwell, Venables and Elliott the leading candidates to replace him

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    Per The Athletic, Justin Fuente let go at VT; Napier, Chadwell, Venables and Elliott the leading candidates to replace him
    Isn’t Venables always a leading candidate to replace a coach. Perhaps this is the place for him. Similar school,, good recruiting area.

It was past time. In not even 6 full seasons, he was 43-31, 28-20.

1 bowl win in 2016, the Belk Bowl. The Hokies are better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    It was past time. In not even 6 full seasons, he was 43-31, 28-20.

1 bowl win in 2016, the Belk Bowl. The Hokies are better than that.
    The final straw - he couldn’t break 50 against Duke.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

ESPN also reported that Fuente is out.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...football-coach

Quote Originally Posted by DeweyDevil View Post
    ESPN also reported that Fuente is out.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32643652/justin-fuente-virginia-tech-hokies-football-coach
    Gamecock faithful hoping it’s Beamer so they can get Chadwell from Coastal because the grass is always greener and they’re just a good coach away from being a contender

I guess the margin of victory against the Devils wasn't enough

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Isn’t Venables always a leading candidate to replace a coach. Perhaps this is the place for him. Similar school,, good recruiting area.
    I guess the margin of victory against the Devils wasn't what the cigar smokers were looking for. They left millions on the table to cut him loose today rather than waiting until the middle of December.
    GTHC

If I were a VT fan I would be hoping for Napier, with Chadwell as the (fairly distant) second option. Maybe I just have PTSD from our own little taste of Clemson last year, but I just don't totally trust the Clemson guys to take over a program.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    If I were a VT fan I would be hoping for Napier, with Chadwell as the (fairly distant) second option. Maybe I just have PTSD from our own little taste of Clemson last year, but I just don't totally trust the Clemson guys to take over a program.
    Seems like minimal risk with NIL money. You’d have to really be sloppy to cheat so blatantly that the feckless NCAA could prove it. Academic rigors are no longer applicable either. Worse-case, just lawyer up and don’t cooperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthman View Post
    They left millions on the table to cut him loose today rather than waiting until the middle of December.
    I wonder if they just wanted to get a jump on other schools, since there are so many coaching vacancies this year. Or maybe they have someone, like Shane Beamer, in mind.

At any rate, there is lots of competition to be shopping for a head coach this year. Unfortunately for us.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    I wonder if they just wanted to get a jump on other schools, since there are so many coaching vacancies this year. Or maybe they have someone, like Shane Beamer, in mind.

At any rate, there is lots of competition to be shopping for a head coach this year. Unfortunately for us.
    The middle of December is way too late IMO, considering the early signing period for recruits and the competition from other schools for the top coaches. They were never going to wait that long, so might as well make the change now.