Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa. Easy on the snark there.

No, what I'm saying is that SC has many many advantages that Duke does not have. It is a far more appealing job from the boosters, budget, fan base, etc all the way down to recruiting and facilities. Duke lacks those things, so it would take more money to lure an equally attractive coach.

Is this really a crazy idea?
    Not being snarky, really! In fact I agree with what you say, I just see it in a mirror from your viewpoint.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Not being snarky, really! In fact I agree with what you say, I just see it in a mirror from your viewpoint.
    Fair enough. I bristled at the HCIW getting hit by a car analogy.

I suspect most coaches would see SC as a far more attractive opportunity than Duke - out empty stadium speaks volumes.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Fair enough. I bristled at the HCIW getting hit by a car analogy.

I suspect most coaches would see SC as a far more attractive opportunity than Duke - out empty stadium speaks volumes.
    Barring that unforeseen disaster...I'm sure Jon looks both ways before crossing the street. (PS...it was a truck..a car might simply have put his return to the bench as "indefinite". )
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Barring that unforeseen disaster...I'm sure Jon looks both ways before crossing the street. (PS...it was a truck..a car might simply have put his return to the bench as "indefinite". )
    Better than undisclosed foot injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I beg your pardon?
    No soap. Radio.

Not most, ALL coaches would. SC has a great football atmosphere, and has for years "felt like" a big time program, even though they only achieved that from time to time. Williams Brice at night is one of the best atmospheres
    anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Not most, ALL coaches would. SC has a great football atmosphere, and has for years "felt like" a big time program, even though they only achieved that from time to time. Williams Brice at night is one of the best atmospheres
    anywhere.
    Exactly my point. We will have to pay more for the same.

Receivers need to catch these balls!

Going to end up giving it back to VT with over 2 minutes left.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Receivers need to catch these balls!

Going to end up giving it back to VT with over 2 minutes left.
    Oops...wrong thread. If a mod would like to move or just delete these posts feel free!

Exactly my point. We will have to pay more for the same.
    Yes, I was buttressing your point...clumsily. Agreed on all.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Coach K agreed to take the Duke job in 1980 without knowing know much Duke was going to pay him. Michie was incredulous.
    He was pretty sure it was more than Army was paying I would imagine.

In other news, it looks like Duke is going to help Justin Fuente keep his job for at least another week.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    In other news, it looks like Duke is going to help Justin Fuente keep his job for at least another week.
    Doing our part to help the unemployment situation. For a few years.

And a much bigger budget. And yet they still got that guy to show up for "just" 2.75M.

Duke can and possibly will do it for less.
    You do realize his salary is low because they have to pay a $13mm buyout to Will Muschamp

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    a $13mm buyout to Will Muschamp
    Sorry, this makes me laugh uncontrollably.

You do realize his salary is low because they have to pay a $13mm buyout to Will Muschamp
    So? New guy could have said no.

But that doesn't change the argument that an exciting coach can be had for less than 3 mill...regardless of the reasons....I would also say that SC probably generates 8 million in tickets, concessions and parking per home game...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    There are a few very warm seats in the ACC right now, and they are all far more appealing that Duke's. Not the best time for us to be shopping. (But we still have to.)

There are a few very warm seats in the ACC right now, and they are all far more appealing that Duke's. Not the best time for us to be shopping. (But we still have to.)
    I was listening to CBS Sports Radio before I headed out. They had much of the ACC on the hot seat, but everybody but Cutcliffe returning next year.

The KS-TX and KS-OK scores gives me optimism for next year but scares me for the trip to Lawrence next year. While that is one of the biggest turnarounds I've seen, 50% of that amount can be pretty common. (Ex. Look at Indiana last year to this year.)