Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Quote Originally Posted by laxdawg97 View Post
    There's some nostalgia!

SMU spent a decade and a fortune positioning for a P5 bid -- including going through a messy split from the Methodist Church that may still be in litigation.

After all that, watching an upstart like the University of Houston boat race them for a Big 12 invite was humiliating, especially for fervent football boosters. Losing Sonny Dykes, their only winning coach since the Death Penalty, to their bitter cross-town rival (Big 12 member TCU), added insult to injury.

They are in 'now or never' mode and Rhett Lashlee has strong support, yet boosters I know are still openly musing about Hugh Freeze as a 'break glass in case of emergency' option to keep from being left behind. Who knows how it plays out... they could just as easily give up, but if not it's a fairly short putt from Freeze to Urban.
    I grew up in University Park, four generations of my family have gone to SMU, and I’ve been going to SMU games through all of the Texas Stadium and Ownby (ugh—eff Ken Pye) and Cotton Bowl redux and Ford days. There’s certainly a lot of truth in your comments, but the notion that SMU separated from the UMC for P5 conference reasons is risible. It was for control, for student recruitment, and for academic standing. But mainly control. That it would marginally benefit SMU in trying to appeal to the PAC 12 or the ACC is an unintended byproduct. SMU’s most natural/historic P5 home, the Big XII, would never have cared anyway.
    Last edited by AustinDevil; 12-16-2021 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Typo

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Mack Brown will be looking for some new staff, since he and a few of his crew have "mutually agreed to part ways". (IE, Mack fired 'em)

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-an...ways/20067595/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Mack Brown will be looking for some new staff, since he and a few of his crew have "mutually agreed to part ways". (IE, Mack fired 'em)

Sorta like my mutual parting of the ways with Michelle Pfeiffer a few decades back.

Not exactly the same though.

It looks to me like Hubert Davis should follow Mack's lead and also fire his defensive coordinator
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Biggest potential driver of the carousel at this point is if Harbaugh leaves Michigan for either the Bears or the Raiders. Anyone care to opine on the likelihood of that?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Biggest potential driver of the carousel at this point is if Harbaugh leaves Michigan for either the Bears or the Raiders. Anyone care to opine on the likelihood of that?
    I don't know whether Harbaugh wants to leave Ann Arbor, but I am quite certain he wants back the $4MM he gave up this year, and a new contract that looks more like market for recent coaches who've reached the CFP (and the guy down the road in East Lansing, a 3rd year HC who just got $95MM guaranteed).

If Harbaugh does leave, I imagine it'd only be for the chance to coach a QB he views as transcendent -- more likely the haircare model in Jacksonville than either Carr or Fields. But that'd require the owner to reverse course and fire the GM, whom Harbaugh bailed on the 49ers to escape. He's a weirdo though, so you never know.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I don't know whether Harbaugh wants to leave Ann Arbor, but I am quite certain he wants back the $4MM he gave up this year, and a new contract that looks more like market for recent coaches who've reached the CFP (and the guy down the road in East Lansing, a 3rd year HC who just got $95MM guaranteed).

If Harbaugh does leave, I imagine it'd only be for the chance to coach a QB he views as transcendent -- more likely the haircare model in Jacksonville than either Carr or Fields. But that'd require the owner to reverse course and fire the GM, whom Harbaugh bailed on the 49ers to escape. He's a weirdo though, so you never know.
    The speculation amongst Michigan fans is that Harbaugh is using this reported flirtation with the NFL not only to improve his contract, but also get the athletic department to commit to investing in resources to make the university competitive with NIL… supposedly Harbaugh views this as the next hurdle to Michigan truly recruiting with the big boys.

It would be very weird for Harbaugh to leave Michigan after only just now regained the support of the place he supposedly adores. It would also be odd for the NFL to take a chance on him not only after the Meyer fiasco, but after one good season from Jim. Stranger things have happened though.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

It was worth at least a chuckle when MSU threw $95 million at their coach and thusly inspired he went out and got pummeled by Mishygan.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It was worth at least a chuckle when MSU threw $95 million at their coach and thusly inspired he went out and got pummeled by Mishygan.
    Sorry budwom, that was OSU he got pummeled by. I wish it had been UM though.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Sorry budwom, that was OSU he got pummeled by. I wish it had been UM though.
    ah, sorry...but anyway, quite a pummeling (I did see them whomp Mishygan)..I guess the AD got caught up in the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    The speculation amongst Michigan fans is that Harbaugh is using this reported flirtation with the NFL not only to improve his contract, but also get the athletic department to commit to investing in resources to make the university competitive with NIL… supposedly Harbaugh views this as the next hurdle to Michigan truly recruiting with the big boys.

It would be very weird for Harbaugh to leave Michigan after only just now regained the support of the place he supposedly adores. It would also be odd for the NFL to take a chance on him not only after the Meyer fiasco, but after one good season from Jim. Stranger things have happened though.
    Well I don't think the NFL would feel like it's taking a real big chance on Harbaugh, as he has already proven himself at that level, taking a team to the Super Bowl. He also showed that he can develop quarterbacks -- Colin Kaepernick was his name.

But I agree with you that I don't think he's going to leave Michigan, not just when he got the monkeys off his back, got his program to the level on the field that everyone has wanted, and he's very secure there now. The only thing is: He is 58 years old. It's now or never. Many of the coaches getting play now are in their 30s and 40s. There's gonna be less and less interest as he heads into his 60s. But still - I think he stays and gets a nice bump in his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Well I don't think the NFL would feel like it's taking a real big chance on Harbaugh, as he has already proven himself at that level, taking a team to the Super Bowl. He also showed that he can develop quarterbacks -- Colin Kaepernick was his name.

But I agree with you that I don't think he's going to leave Michigan, not just when he got the monkeys off his back, got his program to the level on the field that everyone has wanted, and he's very secure there now. The only thing is: He is 58 years old. It's now or never. Many of the coaches getting play now are in their 30s and 40s. There's gonna be less and less interest as he heads into his 60s. But still - I think he stays and gets a nice bump in his contract.
    I don’t know how long Jim’s contract has been in place, but it seems that recent contracts are very long and worth very many dollars.

Carolina is hiring Gene Chizik as “assistant head coach for defense”. Chizik reunites with Brown (Texas 05-06), and returns to Chapel Hill (15-16).

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33019817/north-carolina-tar-heels-name-gene-chizik-assistant-head-coach-defense

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Carolina is hiring Gene Chizik as “assistant head coach for defense”. Chizik reunites with Brown (Texas 05-06), and returns to Chapel Hill (15-16).

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33019817/north-carolina-tar-heels-name-gene-chizik-assistant-head-coach-defense
    He was just on a list of USFL head coaches but apparently that was incorrect.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-coach-defense
    Is he bringing his own bag man, or does UNC provide one for him?

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-coach-defense
    Bringing Charlton Warren, too, to coach DBs. They could do some damage with the talent on that roster today. Yikes.