Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    Duke, Wake, Richmond, Elon, William & Mary, Vanderbilt and Virginia need to be in the same sports universe. The absurdity of competition against state universities with third party booster clubs is clear.

I totally understand that as long as Duke is in the ACC, they have to keep up. Hopefully the vision of the trustees and athletic department includes a plan for what is coming next, additional re-alignment of football powers.
    This makes total sense with respect to football (at least). I'm not sure how Duke stays in the ACC for all other sports but plays in some new conference for football? And what happens to the TV football revenues from the ACC? I hate to be a pessimist but it seems like Duke (and other similar schools) are in a (somewhat) no win situation.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    This makes total sense with respect to football (at least). I'm not sure how Duke stays in the ACC for all other sports but plays in some new conference for football? And what happens to the TV football revenues from the ACC? I hate to be a pessimist but it seems like Duke (and other similar schools) are in a (somewhat) no win situation.
    we're stuck. We need to keep the football TV money rolling in to support non revenue sports, which we're very very good at. So yes, we need to play ACC football.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    we're stuck. We need to keep the football TV money rolling in to support non revenue sports, which we're very very good at. So yes, we need to play ACC football.
    Yea, that's the dilemma Nina and the Duke admin face. (and part of the reason, I guess, that they get paid big bucks). I would think their strategy, at this point, is to try to incrementally improve the football program (by spending some more money on coaching and other football-related upgrades) without completely breaking the bank and without reducing even further the academic requirements for the football players. Good luck to them and the new coach!

Duke, Wake, Richmond, Elon, William & Mary, Vanderbilt and Virginia need to be in the same sports universe. The absurdity of competition against state universities with third party booster clubs is clear. .
    UVA is a state university so not sure why it’s included. Vandy is currently spending several $100 million to upgrade facilities. With the exception of Wake, I wouldn’t attend those football games if you paid me a $100 and a free meal at the Angus Barn. We might as well play those games at a small high school stadium.

At this point we have to go big or go home. Duke has the money to do whatever it wants. We tried half way for almost fifty years and we were a laughing stock. Time to pay up and make a splashy hire! Having said that these 10 year contracts are stupid. I expect a lot of buyers’ remorse over the next four years. Pay 3 or 4 million with at most a five year contract, along with good money for assistants. That would draw some interest.

Duke, Wake, Richmond, Elon, William & Mary, Vanderbilt and Virginia need to be in the same sports universe. The absurdity of competition against state universities with third party booster clubs is clear.

I totally understand that as long as Duke is in the ACC, they have to keep up. Hopefully the vision of the trustees and athletic department includes a plan for what is coming next, additional re-alignment of football powers.
    Well, Wake (75M), Duke (116 M), Vandy (prob. > 100M) and Virginia (110 M) all have athletic budgets far exceeding Elon and Bill & Mary, who are each just over $30 M.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    UVA is a state university so not sure why it’s included. Vandy is currently spending several $100 million to upgrade facilities. With the exception of Wake, I wouldn’t attend those football games if you paid me a $100 and a free meal at the Angus Barn. We might as well play those games at a small high school stadium.

At this point we have to go big or go home. Duke has the money to do whatever it wants. We tried half way for almost fifty years and we were a laughing stock. Time to pay up and make a splashy hire! Having said that these 10 year contracts are stupid. I expect a lot of buyers’ remorse over the next four years. Pay 3 or 4 million with at most a five year contract, along with good money for assistants. That would draw some interest.
    Wake has spent a ton of money as well, their AD was just on the radio talking it up yesterday or the day before.

I am quite aware that UVA is a state school. I am also aware of the large variation in athletic budgets of the universities mentioned. What about mission and shared values? The pool of high school FB players that are also good enough students to succeed at Duke are all being recruited by the same schools. I get that we have to stay in the ACC now. I also get that Duke needs to take a leadership role in defining what’s next. The idea that we are looking over our shoulder and getting best ideas from WF shows how far behind Duke has become.

Bronco Mendenhall has resigned per 99.9 The Fan.

Found a link: https://virginiasports.com/news/2021...ootball-coach/

Huge surprise, hope everything is ok with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post

Shocking. That will affect the Duke coaching calculus

Six years at UVa -- 36-38, although an overall winning record after going 2-10 his first year.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Shocking. That will affect the Duke coaching calculus
    Oh man. The new Duke football coach has to teach math as well?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Six years at UVa -- 36-38, although an overall winning record after going 2-10 his first year.
    I see ESPN has this story included on the right side...I don't think Cut's leaving ever got covered on that site. (I may be wrong on that).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I see ESPN has this story included on the right side...I don't think Cut's leaving ever got covered on that site. (I may be wrong on that).
    It did, but unlike Cut, I don't think Mendenhall was expected.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Derek Jones is headed back to the ACC. He is leaving Texas Tech to join the coaching staff at Virginia Tech.
    Bob Green

ESPN reporting Venables to Oklahoma. Details to be finalized today.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32793128/oklahoma-looks-finalize-deal-make-clemson-dc-brent-venables-ou-new-head-football-coach

Sorry, don’t know why it won’t copy properly.

Hold up just a minute now. His actual name is “Bronco”?? Perhaps they should have hired a “Stallion”.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    (Moving from the coaching spec thread.)

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Looks like Miami will be getting Mario Cristobal, the Oregon coach, for $8 million a year. What will Duke have to pay to get the head coach and assistant coaches we need? How much are we willing/able to pay?
    Either Miami fired Manny behind closed doors in secret, or he's getting very nervous right now watching his phone.

Other reports, including Mike Ryan Ruiz of the Dan LeBatard Show, indicate that the deal is already done for Cristobal to leave Oregon for Miami. As of Sunday morning, Manny Diaz had not been fired or removed from his post as Miami head coach. Cristobal, was reportedly on the road recruiting Saturday for Oregon. Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports reports that Cristobal is "perhaps the leading candidate,'" but no decision is yet made.
    https://247sports.com/Article/Mario-...low-177227009/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    (Moving from the coaching spec thread.)

Either Miami fired Manny behind closed doors in secret, or he's getting very nervous right now watching his phone.

https://247sports.com/Article/Mario-...low-177227009/
    Co-head coaches? I'm sure that would work well.

I completely agree. At this point with K retiring and bball sure to fall and NIL and the Transfer Portal..well it is the perfect storm. Enough to cause college coach's to draw 50% more than pro HCs and that is without the unique problem about to face Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by dukewolf View Post
    I completely agree. At this point with K retiring and bball sure to fall and NIL and the Transfer Portal..well it is the perfect storm. Enough to cause college coach's to draw 50% more than pro HCs and that is without the unique problem about to face Duke.
    I guess you haven't been paying attention to Scheyer's recruiting.