Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    So another potential Duke hire is off the table? Jeez, maybe Jason Garrett WILL be the new Duke head coach! (just joking here, I think it is extremely unlikely Duke would go down that road. Too much risk with such a pick).
    Not saying one way or the other on Garrett...but Elliott was the WRONG guy for Duke....

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Not saying one way or the other on Garrett...but Elliott was the WRONG guy for Duke...
    Sigh. C'mon, show your work.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    If Duke chose Jason “Vanilla Meh” Garrett as head coach I would be 100% out on Blue Devils football for the rest of my life.
    Ditto

According to sources, Miami did the whole process backwards.

First: pursue new head football coach (December 3-5)
    Second: fire existing head football coach (December 6)
    Third: hire new athletic director (December 8)

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Sigh. C'mon, show your work.

-jk
    I have, earlier. Even got sporks for it. My theory is that Elliott's offensive success at Clemson (and the same for Chad Morris) was based on superior speed, talent, size...not based on scheme. I futher theorized that a lot of coaches could score points with Etienne, Lawrence, and their receiver group. Chad Morris also bombed as a head coach. And then there's the fact that Clemson fans are hoping and praying someone hires him away....so Dabo doesn't have to fire him.

Seems I can't win. When I repeat a theory, I get slammed for that. When I don't, I get slammed for that. It is what it is.

I have, earlier. Even got sporks for it. My theory is that Elliott's offensive success at Clemson (and the same for Chad Morris) was based on superior speed, talent, size...not based on scheme. I futher theorized that a lot of coaches could score points with Etienne, Lawrence, and their receiver group. Chad Morris also bombed as a head coach. And then there's the fact that Clemson fans are hoping and praying someone hires him away...so Dabo doesn't have to fire him.

Seems I can't win. When I repeat a theory, I get slammed for that. When I don't, I get slammed for that. It is what it is.
    Believe it or not we don't all keep detailed notes on all of your analyses and how you defended your latest theory/hot take.

Slow down. Read the room. There are a lot of really smart, interesting, charismatic posters here.

Somebody has to be the punching bag; it’s an important role. 😜

I have, earlier. Even got sporks for it. My theory is that Elliott's offensive success at Clemson (and the same for Chad Morris) was based on superior speed, talent, size...not based on scheme. I futher theorized that a lot of coaches could score points with Etienne, Lawrence, and their receiver group. Chad Morris also bombed as a head coach.
    Morris bombed as a HC because he believed his rep as a scheme guru and QB whisperer meant he could short-change other elements of the CEO job. He bolted SMU before it caught up with him there, but got exposed quickly in the SEC.

To me, Clemson's track record of player development is far more relevant to Duke than anything they've done schematically. Yes, they benefited from a weak conference schedule to preserve their depth, but they also beat Alabama on the biggest stage with recruiting classes mostly ranked in the teens. Particularly impressive is how they've developed the OL room.

Elliott has also never coached QBs, and as long as our interview committee understands how to scrutinize staff construction, the risk of the shortcomings you cite is very manageable. Culture, recruiting, and player development are what Duke needs to prioritize, and where Elliott's Clemson tenure excites me.

My key concerns with Elliott are:

A) Clemson staff stability = fewer potential hires whom he's worked alongside = higher risk of misses. He may end up battling for first-choice position coaches with Venables and OU, who will win the bidding war 100/100 times.
    B) While Duke needs to recruit beyond the SEC footprint, Elliott has never played or coaches outside of the state of SC; in fairness, he is a CA native, but ties TBD.
    Last edited by laxdawg97; 12-08-2021 at 11:49 PM.

Sounds like Elliott and his family went to Charlottesville, so I suspect that's where he ends up...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Ex-Duke DC Mike MacIntyre is replacing Butch Davis at FIU.

MacIntyre, the former coach at Colorado and San Jose State, emerged Wednesday in FIU's search, as ESPN first reported, and an agreement was finalized early Thursday. He replaces Butch Davis, who went 24-32 at Florida International and 1-11 this season.
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...football-coach

MacIntyre returned to college football as defensive coordinator for Duke from 2008 to 2009. His defenses produced two of the best seasons statistically the Blue Devils had achieved. In 2009, the American Football Coaches Association recognized MacIntyre as FBS Assistant Coach of the Year.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_MacIntyre
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yep, those were the good old days, lose a good defensive coordinator and replace with equally good Jim Knowles. Then we starting replacing experienced assistants with young inexperienced guys. Wonder why we went down hill?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Yep, those were the good old days, lose a good defensive coordinator and replace with equally good Jim Knowles. Then we starting replacing experienced assistants with young inexperienced guys. Wonder why we went down hill?
    When Latina was replaced by Marcus Johnson and then Jim Bridge (who was AWFUL), thats when the new assistants really started to decline in quality IMO...so 2017 I think?

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    When Latina was replaced by Marcus Johnson and then Jim Bridge (who was AWFUL), thats when the new assistants really started to decline in quality IMO...so 2017 I think?
    If we wanted to do a post-mortem on Cutcliffe's tenure and where things went wrong, I think the place to start is to find the last time he said "we are competing for championships" and then look at why he might have quit saying it. Seems like it was probably around that time (although maybe I've just been missing it)...

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    If we wanted to do a post-mortem on Cutcliffe's tenure and where things went wrong, I think the place to start is to find the last time he said "we are competing for championships" and then look at why he might have quit saying it. Seems like it was probably around that time (although maybe I've just been missing it)...
    Excellent point.

I’m just going to leave this here. USC’s film school should put out a statement clarifying that they were in no way involved. Though Deadspin should also be embarrassed for mistaking “Tusk” for the USC fight song, lol.

https://deadspin.com/watch-lincoln-r...1848179503/amp

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I’m just going to leave this here. USC’s film school should put out a statement clarifying that they were in no way involved. Though Deadspin should also be embarrassed for mistaking “Tusk” for the USC fight song, lol.

That’s much worse than advertised. Riley should leave now and join us to a clean rendition of Devil with the Blue Dress that any HS JV squad can perform.

I think they were just comparing the "marching band music video" vibe between this video and the Tusk music video.

In any case, thanks for sharing. Truly awful, everyone take a look before you head to work. Great stuff.

Announcement near?

Heard from a blogger this morning with two sources close to the program who have indicated that Duke will soon announce that the new FB Coach will be Mike Elko. Just passing this along.

Maybe they think Deacon Blues is the Alabama fight song.

If you're USC and Snoop isn't involved, are you even trying?