Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Football Coaching Carousel 2021-22

We've heard of some firings and "retirements", but as far as I can tell this is the first hiring. UCONN is bringing ex-UCLA/NFL guy Jim Mora on as their head coach. For all the folks yelling about how big names (or anyone recognizable, really) require big money, put this in your pipe.

Mora and UConn have agreed to a five-year contract in which he will make $1.5 million in the first season and could earn another $200,000 in annual performance incentives. He will begin his head-coaching duties Nov. 28 after serving as an assistant coach for the rest of the 2021 season, which will allow him to recruit.
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...otball-program

That's a unique and smart setup for UCONN bringing him in now as an assistant, although I can imagine that will be interesting for the other coaches working next to the guy that might ultimately fire you. From a recruiting standpoint, it makes sense.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    We've heard of some firings and "retirements", but as far as I can tell this is the first hiring. UCONN is bringing ex-UCLA/NFL guy Jim Mora on as their head coach. For all the folks yelling about how big names (or anyone recognizable, really) require big money, put this in your pipe.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...otball-program

That's a unique and smart setup for UCONN bringing him in now as an assistant, although I can imagine that will be interesting for the other coaches working next to the guy that might ultimately fire you. From a recruiting standpoint, it makes sense.
    I mean, we're talking about a guy who hasn't coached in ~5 years (by the time next season starts) and is looking to rehab/restart his career after flaming out in the NFL after a hot start and then again at UCLA after a hot start (seems to be a pattern). This would be about as exciting as hiring Joe Judge.

If they were bringing in Jim Mora Sr. ​it would be another story, but his son is neither all that nor a bag of chips. This would be like hiring Charlie Weiss. Sure you got a great price, but...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I mean, we're talking about a guy who hasn't coached in ~5 years (by the time next season starts) and is looking to rehab/restart his career after flaming out in the NFL after a hot start and then again at UCLA after a hot start (seems to be a pattern). This would be about as exciting as hiring Joe Judge.

If they were bringing in Jim Mora Sr. ​it would be another story, but his son is neither all that nor a bag of chips. This would be like hiring Charlie Weiss. Sure you got a great price, but...
    Say what you will, but the guy finished with a 46-30 record at a major football school, and with a 31-33 head coaching record in the NFL.

Coach Cutcliffe came in to Duke with a far less impressive record with less expansive experience, and out of the box was hired for a larger salary.

So like I said, "For all the folks yelling about how big names (or anyone recognizable, really)"...
    Recruits will pay attention to someone with that kind of pedigree, success, and ties. UCONN likely did very well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Clay Helton was hired by Georgia Southern last week. He will average $800,000 per year. (4 million over 5 years; starts at $700,000 in year 1 and finishes at $900,000 in year 5).

Of course, he also has a reported $10 million buyout from USC.

https://www.wsav.com/sports/new-deta...tons-contract/

Of course, it’s a lot cheaper to live in Statesboro, Ga than LA.

Say what you will, but the guy finished with a 46-30 record at a major football school, and with a 31-33 head coaching record in the NFL.

Coach Cutcliffe came in to Duke with a far less impressive record with less expansive experience, and out of the box was hired for a larger salary.
    Is 46-30 that much more impressive than 44-29? The last time Mora had a winning record, current high school freshmen were something like 8 years old. Our evaluation of coaches is just different, I guess, I don't see Mora as a good hire at all, to be honest, although at a lower level like UConn it is probably a good gamble, I guess. 10 seasons as a head coach, 4 of them below .500 (and one at .500).

So like I said, "For all the folks yelling about how big names (or anyone recognizable, really)"...
    Recruits will pay attention to someone with that kind of pedigree, success, and ties. UCONN likely did very well.
    You can absolutely get a big/recognizable name for cheap, I don't think anyone has said otherwise, it's just that you have to go for someone who isn't necessarily a successful big name. In 2026 you might be able to get a guy like Adam Gase for a million or two after he's been out of coaching for 5 years and isn't getting any better offers in a similar fashion, but why would you?

Obviously although we also disagree on what Duke needs to look for in an HC and what they'll need to do to land that person, the crux of this disagreement hinges on our very different takes on Mora's career which we're probably not going to iron out with further discussion. I see him as a guy with a floor of ~3 wins and a ceiling (at a place like Duke) of probably 7. Probably a little higher ceiling at UConn, due to the level of competition.

$1M is a whole lot of money-- a vast sum. There are in my estimation hundreds of superb football coaches in the country at every level who would jump to make that kind of money. Identifying them is the issue, of course, and prior success is an easy metric, but I will never be convinced that scores of excellent coaches are not there for the hiring.

the crux of this disagreement hinges on our very different takes on Mora's career which we're probably not going to iron out with further discussion.
    No. The crux of my disagreement is the premise that it's going to take 5 million to get anyone to come to Duke, which many, many people have said is the case.

And that's now provenly not true. If you can make the argument that Duke is a 3.5M dollar better job than UCONN right now, I'm all ears.
    I 100% guarantee you that if Duke offered the same cash to Mora, he would have come in two shakes of a leg. For the same price.
    That being said, I'm not saying that I want a guy like Mora. I trust in Nina King to make as good of a hire for football as she did with Women's Basketball. But it's very clear she doesn't need to empty the coffers to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    $1M is a whole lot of money-- a vast sum. There are in my estimation hundreds of superb football coaches in the country at every level who would jump to make that kind of money. Identifying them is the issue, of course, and prior success is an easy metric, but I will never be convinced that scores of excellent coaches are not there for the hiring.
    1M is not going to draw flies in P5 football, though. FCS? Absolutely. With the Scheyer hiring, I would think that Duke could make a comparative offer--especially with The Legacy Fund financing assistant coaches salaries for hoops.
    Last edited by devilirium; 11-11-2021 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Clay Helton was hired by Georgia Southern last week. He will average $800,000 per year. (4 million over 5 years; starts at $700,000 in year 1 and finishes at $900,000 in year 5).

Of course, he also has a reported $10 million buyout from USC.

https://www.wsav.com/sports/new-deta...tons-contract/

Of course, it’s a lot cheaper to live in Statesboro, Ga than LA.
    Plus, Vandy’s BBQ is in Statesboro. Hit the one near the courthouse, Coach, and not the one at the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    Must spread sporks. They are there. And you can hire a guy for 1 million, or 5 million, and in the end it's a crapshoot. Just gotta cross fingers that you get lucky. There a more than a handful of 3M-5M guys that will be looking for new work after this season because their ADs decided the gamble didn't pay off.

I'm sure uconn football will manage to squeeze the life out of this coach, too. There are plenty of uconn boosters with delusions of grandeur for uconn football, and they came close to almost being decent before running the coach off.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm sure uconn football will manage to squeeze the life out of this coach, too. There are plenty of uconn boosters with delusions of grandeur for uconn football, and they came close to almost being decent before running the coach off.
    Sigh.
    They might. They might not. But regardless, two parties right now are decently happy, and a fan base is very likely encouraged. That's not a bad thing. And in the end, I don't care about either of them...but it is a nice comparison for us.

There will be many other hires and fires in this thread as the season unfolds that are way out of our league, or beneath us, yet still interesting. But this isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    UConn is a horrible job. They went from being in a very spread out conference with no real rivals to being an independent, which doesn't really work these days unless you are Notre Dame. Their stadium is 20 miles from campus. Football is a very distant third behind men's and women's basketball at the school.

They are lucky to get who they got - it was worth taking a shot with him.

Interesting note I found in doing some googling for this post - their coach Randy Edsall, who just left the school after two stints, is the brother of basketball referee Duke Edsall.

Bet we could get Zac Roper for a cool half mil. Talk about savings!

Reported.

I can make at least that with "Fire Roper" bumper stickers, hats, and t-shirts by the end of season three.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    UConn is a horrible job. They went from being in a very spread out conference with no real rivals to being an independent, which doesn't really work these days unless you are Notre Dame. Their stadium is 20 miles from campus. Football is a very distant third behind men's and women's basketball at the school.

They are lucky to get who they got - it was worth taking a shot with him.

Interesting note I found in doing some googling for this post - their coach Randy Edsall, who just left the school after two stints, is the brother of basketball referee Duke Edsall.
    there was hype when orlovsky was there and they went to a BCS bowl, and had a couple other good years around there. Unfortunately, all momentum went out the window when edsall bolted, and a lot of shenanigans between boosters and the department over the succeeding hire.

In either case, there is not a lot going on sports wise in the middle of CT, so it was something. It's not like they're competing with UNC/wake/NCSU for eyes in the state. But it's also not like the state on the whole is doing very well at all...
    1200. DDMF.

. I trust in Nina King to make as good of a hire for football as she did with Women's Basketball. .
    With all due respect, really? I just don't see any analogy there at all. I'm not saying I doubt her necessarily, I just don't see any comparison whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    With all due respect, really? I just don't see any analogy there at all. I'm not saying I doubt her necessarily, I just don't see any comparison whatsoever.
    I want to see results first.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Coach Kara has reinvigorated the fan base in a way that would be very rare for a new coach to do without prior experience, and for me that is a home run. Hopefully in the end it will be a grand slam.

If a new football coach can do the same for the football fans, I'll be very, very happy.