Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Tracking the Duke Transfers

Let's use this thread as a place to track and talk about the guys who recently left Duke for more playing time elsewhere. I think it could be worth noting over the course of the season.

Henry Coleman's debut at Texas A&M has Aggie fans saying he will be a big star -- 27 points and 7 rebounds plus a block and a steal

Patrick Tapé was the starting C for San Francisco as they won their opener against LIU. He had 9 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 steals.

Jaemyn Brakefield came off the bench for Ole Miss, playing 17 minutes with 10 points, 3 rebs, and 2 assists.

JGold started at PG for Oklahoma and played 29 minutes, scoring 9 points with 4 assists and a couple boards. I'm just gonna assume he played lock down D too
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Alex O’Connell had 20 pts, 7 boards and 2 assists in 35 minutes for Creighton.

Interesting thread, Jason! Thanks for starting it.

Quote Originally Posted by RetireVergaJersey View Post
    Alex O’Connell had 20 pts, 7 boards and 2 assists in 35 minutes for Creighton.
    Alex also led the team with three steals and shot 37.5% (3/8) on 3 PT FG.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Let's use this thread as a place to track and talk about the guys who recently left Duke for more playing time elsewhere. I think it could be worth noting over the course of the season.

Henry Coleman's debut at Texas A&M has Aggie fans saying he will be a big star -- 27 points and 7 rebounds plus a block and a steal

Patrick Tape was the starting C for San Francisco as they won their opener against LIU. He had 9 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 steals.

Jaemyn Brakefield came off the bench for Ole Miss, playing 17 minutes with 10 points, 3 rebs, and 2 assists.

JGold started at PG for Oklahoma and played 29 minutes, scoring 9 points with 4 assists and a couple boards. I'm just gonna assume he played lock down D too
    Coleman- what? Those are Nick Horvath pick up game numbers. Amazing. Did he dunk everything- did he develop a jumper. That is one kid I wanted to see develop. I did not expect it to be this fast. Wow.

This just proves that in 1983, Duke should’ve fired that coach with the last name (starts with the letter ’K’, followed by a bunch of letters that don’t go together). Obviously, he doesn’t know how to recognize or utilize talent.

Seriously though, thanks for starting this thread. I like to follow former Duke players, whether they are in the pros or on other college teams.

Really wished Coleman had stayed with Duke but not sure how much PT he would have gotten this year. Probably less than 10-12 minutes. Last night he played 34 minutes and was 10-17 [1 was a missed 3]. Several were 10 ft jump shots.

Really going to miss watching Coleman. Still think he has an NBA future.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Patrick Tapé was the starting C for San Francisco as they won their opener against LIU. He had 9 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 steals.

I'm sure it sounds crass, but so be it. I could give a rat's patootie about a guy that played one year at Duke before leaving to chase minutes elsewhere. They are no longer Dukies, so whatever.

However, I WILL enjoy following Jordan's season. It sounds like he got off to a solid start.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I thought Patrick Tape was already a grad transfer when he played at Duke last year? How does he have any eligibility left? Isn't he, like, 26 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm sure it sounds crass, but so be it. I could give a rat's patootie about a guy that played one year at Duke before leaving to chase minutes elsewhere. They are no longer Dukies, so whatever.

However, I WILL enjoy following Jordan's season. It sounds like he got off to a solid start.

That's a pretty disingenuous way to describe Coleman. That staff recruited him, pitched him on being a 3-4 year development...he showed plenty of promise last year with the opportunity to play signficant minutes this year, and then bam - Theo John grad transfer comes in overnight to take his spot. Why would Coleman stick around after that? It really was a slap in the face to him and left a bad taste in my mouth. So yea, I forgive him for "chasing minutes" after being unceremoniously passed over like that.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I thought Patrick Tape was already a grad transfer when he played at Duke last year? How does he have any eligibility left? Isn't he, like, 26 years old?
    Because of COVID, last year didn't count against ANY player's eligibility/years. So, normally, yes, he'd be "done" but he's basically a grad transfer THIS year now ("4th" year playing as he sat out one year at Columbia and last season didn't count).

How about OADs?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Wilson View Post
    That's a pretty disingenuous way to describe Coleman. That staff recruited him, pitched him on being a 3-4 year development...he showed plenty of promise last year with the opportunity to play signficant minutes this year, and then bam - Theo John grad transfer comes in overnight to take his spot. Why would Coleman stick around after that? It really was a slap in the face to him and left a bad taste in my mouth. So yea, I forgive him for "chasing minutes" after being unceremoniously passed over like that.
    So you're saying that John came to Duke with the guarantee of playing starting minutes? That the staff said to him "you're all set here", and then went to Coleman and told him he was going to have to take a seat, and no matter of work would change that?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    How about OADs?
    What about them? My stance on them will never change, and in 3 or 4 years I will have forgotten most. But at least they left to turn pro. They didn't run from Duke, they left for $.

This is a neat idea for a thread, thanks for starting it.

I'm happy that the transfers are getting significant playing time elsewhere and wish them nothing but success. It's a shame they didn't want to continue playing for Duke, but I understand it. I also wish DJ Steward would be on this list. It's doubtful he would have started for this Duke team, but he could have been a significant contributor off the bench. I assume he would have improved across the board in the offseason and would have provided even more shooting. Alas, that ship has sailed.

What about them? My stance on them will never change, and in 3 or 4 years I will have forgotten most. But at least they left to turn pro. They didn't run from Duke, they left for $.
    I didn't mean it as an accusation. I was just curious about your stance.

I assumed this was a football thread.

Very cool to see Coleman doing well.

Coleman

Hurray for Henry! I will root for him. He seemed like a great young man. The game must have slowed down a bit for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Because of COVID, last year didn't count against ANY player's eligibility/years. So, normally, yes, he'd be "done" but he's basically a grad transfer THIS year now ("4th" year playing as he sat out one year at Columbia and last season didn't count).
    Thanks for that explanation. I forgot about the 2019/2020 season being a "pass" season for eligibility because of Covid.

Here are the highlights of the Texas A&M game - Henry layups and dunks.

https://12thman.com/watch/?Archive=9555&type=Archive

Interesxtingly, Henry did not play in A&M's only exhibition game, and they barely won.
    Last edited by chrishoke; 11-11-2021 at 12:09 PM.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide