Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coach K's Farewell Gifts - A Complete List and Purely Objective Ranking

Ranking / Gift / Giver

1. Bottle of Pappy 23yr - Calipari, Self and Izzo
    2. Collection of Gifts - donation to Emily K center, framed photo of K's MSG appearances and bottles of wine - MSG
    3. Shadowbox about the Champions Classic - ESPN
    4. Plaque - Winston Salem State

This will be quite a list, I suspect.

1. His 6th National Championship/ the other CBB coaches

I might be a naive mark, but I like the spirit behind the Cal/Self/Izzo joint gift. (And the substance - I would also welcome such a gift.)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    I might be a naive mark, but I like the spirit behind the Cal/Self/Izzo joint gift. (And the substance - I would also welcome such a gift.)
    Only $300 msrp. That's a $100 per coach. Average yearly salary between the three is $5.8M.

Bunch of cheapos
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Only $300 msrp. That's a $100 per coach. Average yearly salary between the three is $5.8M.

Bunch of cheapos
    msrp, sure, but hard to find, so in reality, probably paying more.

in any case, when you get to that range, the whiskey doesn't get better, just more rare.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    msrp, sure, but hard to find, so in reality, probably paying more.

in any case, when you get to that range, the whiskey doesn't get better, just more rare.
    Pretty sure Izzo, Self, or Calipari can call the Buffalo Trace Distillery and get a bottle at MSRP. Actually, I'd guarantee that.

Sad thing is all three coaches likely expensed the gift to the university. Which is kinda funny cus the state tax payers of Kansas, Michigan, and Kentucky just bought Coach K a drink.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Pretty sure Izzo, Self, or Calipari can call the Buffalo Trace Distillery and get a bottle at MSRP. Actually, I'd guarantee that.

Sad thing is all three coaches likely expensed the gift to the university. Which is kinda funny cus the state tax payers of Kansas, Michigan, and Kentucky just bought Coach K a drink.
    given the publicity, i wouldn't be so sure that didn't get it from the distillery for free

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    given the publicity, i wouldn't be so sure that didn't get it from the distillery for free
    You are probably right, but I like my theory better. a) shows how cheap our rival coaches are given they expense the gift and b) tax payers indirectly bought Coach K a drink

Now, Coach K does strike me as a fine wine guy. So he's probably regifting this bottle...

You are probably right, but I like my theory better. a) shows how cheap our rival coaches are given they expense the gift and b) tax payers indirectly bought Coach K a drink

Now, Coach K does strike me as a fine wine guy. So he's probably regifting this bottle...
    Coach K strikes me as the type of guy who could tell some great stories about his friends who gave him the bottle, while sharing a glass or two with some unbelievably lucky bastard.
    Carolina delenda est

My guess would be that they paid for it --Calipari took the lead, I guess, and the others reimbursed him. Goodness knows, they can afford to shell out a few bucks, and the potential damage from doing it on the cheap is significant.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post
    Ranking / Gift / Giver

2. Collection of Gifts - donation to Emily K center, framed photo of K's MSG appearances and bottles of wine - MSG
    3. Shadowbox about the Champions Classic - ESPN
    4. Plaque - Winston Salem State
    Where's Roy Williams on this list? Sure, he's retired, but he's the gift that keeps on giving...

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Where's Roy Williams on this list? Sure, he's retired, but he's the gift that keeps on giving...

More like the gif that keeps on giving.

Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post
    From Cal's post-game presser:

"So but we, the coaches, I don't know if they, if you -- we got him a, we got-- the three coaches together, because none of us are going to be able to do anything here, so we did a Zoom
    call. And Bill Self said, Cal, why don't you get us a bottle of Pappy for him and we'll all chip in, which they didn't chip in, just so you know. So we got him a bottle of Pappy -- you guys know what that Pappy Van Winkle? We got people that don't know in this room. Well look it up. Okay. I sent, when we gave it to him it was, If you don't drink bourbon -- and I knew he didn't -- but if you don't drink bourbon, you save this and when I retire you give it back to me. He came up to me prior to the game and said, My daughter saw this and said, You can't get this. And I knew he didn't know. He was like, Hey, nice bottle, pour it out, you know. And I would have done the same, but now I live in Kentucky, so I know what bourbon is. And I need some bourbon right now, to be honest with you."

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

I thought Roy would give Coach K some of the timeouts he saved up over the years.

I think the gift Coach K would like the most is no more gifts. He is a very humble guy and I don't think this is his thing. I think the donation to the Emily K Center means a lot more to him than some trinket that will collect dust in his closet.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I thought Roy would give Coach K some of the timeouts he saved up over the years.

I think the gift Coach K would like the most is no more gifts. He is a very humble guy and I don't think this is his thing. I think the donation to the Emily K Center means a lot more to him than some trinket that will collect dust in his closet.
    He’s gonna need a bigger closet.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    He’s gonna need a bigger closet.
    Perhaps

tardis.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

I'm pretty sure that he's OK with this. :O). I imagine that whatever he doesn't want that he'll re-gift or put it up for charity.

23 year old pappy will make a nice old fashioned. Kentucky fans can supply the bitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    From Cal's post-game presser:

"So but we, the coaches, I don't know if they, if you -- we got him a, we got-- the three coaches together, because none of us are going to be able to do anything here, so we did a Zoom
    call. And Bill Self said, Cal, why don't you get us a bottle of Pappy for him and we'll all chip in, which they didn't chip in, just so you know. So we got him a bottle of Pappy -- you guys know what that Pappy Van Winkle? We got people that don't know in this room. Well look it up. Okay. I sent, when we gave it to him it was, If you don't drink bourbon -- and I knew he didn't -- but if you don't drink bourbon, you save this and when I retire you give it back to me. He came up to me prior to the game and said, My daughter saw this and said, You can't get this. And I knew he didn't know. He was like, Hey, nice bottle, pour it out, you know. And I would have done the same, but now I live in Kentucky, so I know what bourbon is. And I need some bourbon right now, to be honest with you."
    That is a gem of a press conference quote. It’s pure Calipari.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke