Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Other People’s Basketball 2021-22 - Sacrifice to the Weaufx Gods

Jeff Capel’s Pitt Panthers are down 27-9 to The Citadel. This is not good. Jeff can’t have another year like last year. He just can’t.

I was just about to start this thread. The Kansas-MSU game is pretty good. It feels like KU is better but the Spartans have competed well and stayed close behind better play inside and solid defense.

In a game featuring a future Duke opponent, Ohio State only leads Akron by 3 at home about midway through the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I was just about to start this thread. The Kansas-MSU game is pretty good. It feels like KU is better but the Spartans have competed well and stayed close behind better play inside and solid defense.

In a game featuring a future Duke opponent, Ohio State only leads Akron by 3 at home about midway through the second half.
    Very close game at the Garden in game 1 of the Champion’s Classic doubleheader.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Very close game at the Garden in game 1 of the Champion’s Classic doubleheader.
    Less close

Presbyterian leading Clemson by 8 at half. Really pathetic.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

It doesn't look good for Capel to last the entire year. Program in chaos. No recruits coming in, player getting arrested, not winning, and fans turning against the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    It doesn't look good for Capel to last the entire year. Program in chaos. No recruits coming in, player getting arrested, not winning, and fans turning against the coach.
    And a key guy got hurt last week.

The entire ACC struggling in their games

Absolutely unimpressed with Kansas. First game is first game, but not seeing 3rd in the polls.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    The entire ACC struggling in their games
    Not really all of the ACC. Syracuse is up by 30 and BC, Va Tech and UNC are all up comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefan5656 View Post
    Absolutely unimpressed with Kansas. First game is first game, but not seeing 3rd in the polls.
    Looked really good in the second half. Balanced and experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Looked really good in the second half. Balanced and experienced.
    Better, literally as soon as I posted.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    UVA, Pitt, and Georgia Tech all lost to "lesser" teams.

At home.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I actually wasn't wildly impressed with Kansas, and tend to agree that #3 might be an overestimate. Agbaji was really excellent last night. But they were playing against what I expect to be a highly mediocre MSU team, and aside from Agbaji they didn't look great. They don't have any post depth, as Lightfoot and Clemence don't seem to add a lot of quality.

HOWEVER, they were also missing Jalen Wilson, who would have been their starting PF. So that definitely accentuated their lack of quality after McCormack and Agbaji in the frontcourt.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I actually wasn't wildly impressed with Kansas, and tend to agree that #3 might be an overestimate. Agbaji was really excellent last night. But they were playing against what I expect to be a highly mediocre MSU team, and aside from Agbaji they didn't look great. They don't have any post depth, as Lightfoot and Clemence don't seem to add a lot of quality.

HOWEVER, they were also missing Jalen Wilson, who would have been their starting PF. So that definitely accentuated their lack of quality after McCormack and Agbaji in the frontcourt.
    They don't have much frontcourt depth, you're right. Lightfoot has never met expectations despite him being there for what seems like about 7 years (the new Perry Ellis?) but I could see Clemence developing as he seemed to have a decent feel for the game and he'll get stronger and more confident. But yeah it's not much.

Nevertheless, with ASU transfer guard Remy Martin, who is really quick and can really score (albeit inefficiently sometimes) in the backcourt, plus Agbaji and Wilson on the wings, and McCormack down low, that's pretty good. Not #3 in the nation good, but still once all these transfers learn to play together, I expect Kansas to be a top-10 quality squad.

They don't have much frontcourt depth, you're right. Lightfoot has never met expectations despite him being there for what seems like about 7 years (the new Perry Ellis?) but I could see Clemence developing as he seemed to have a decent feel for the game and he'll get stronger and more confident. But yeah it's not much.

Nevertheless, with ASU transfer guard Remy Martin, who is really quick and can really score (albeit inefficiently sometimes) in the backcourt, plus Agbaji and Wilson on the wings, and McCormack down low, that's pretty good. Not #3 in the nation good, but still once all these transfers learn to play together, I expect Kansas to be a top-10 quality squad.
    Yeah, I think that sounds about right. I agree with the previous poster (and you) that #3 is an overestimate. But I do think they'll be top-10-ish good.

Every time I see the name "Remy Martin" in a hoops article, I say to myself -- "I'll drink to that!"

Kindly,
    Sage
    '"Perry Ellis?" No, I don't say, "Nice threads."'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I guess the East Coast bias has lessened. There was a lot of groaning on these boards about the late start time of our game against Kentucky. Try these on for size:

Friday - 11:30PM EST
    2- UCLA vs 4- Villanova

Saturday- 10:30PM EST
    1 - Gonzaga v 5 - Texas

NIL opportunities being offered by Sleepys.com and MyPillow and Red Bull

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I guess the East Coast bias has lessened. There was a lot of groaning on these boards about the late start time of our game against Kentucky. Try these on for size:

Friday - 11:30PM EST
    2- UCLA vs 4- Villanova

Saturday- 10:30PM EST
    1 - Gonzaga v 5 - Texas

NIL opportunities being offered by Sleepys.com and MyPillow and Red Bull
    To be fair, those are home games, so that makes the time there what? 8:30 and 7:30? Sucks for the Villanova fans though.
    Our own game with Gonzaga is a 10:30 tip, so we'll be in the same boat soon enough.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Bobby Hurley’s ASU team got beat at home by UC Riverside on a 75 foot buzzer beater. Pretty amazing shot.