Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2021-22 Degenerate Gamblers pre-season picking contest

You asked for it, you got it...

The pre-season picking contest is here: https://contests.covers.com/officepo...9-addb00695790

The password to join the group is: DBR2122

For folks who are not familiar, this is a contest where you pick college basketball games against the spread or the over/under. You make wagers in the amount of 100-500 units on each game and we keep track to see who is the best picker. This contest will include games played between now and the start of the ACC season at the beginning of January. The contest technically ends on January 3.

Important rule: Though the website will display games that do not involve ACC teams, YOU CAN ONLY PICKS GAMES INVOLVING and ACC TEAM. If you pick, for example, the Kansas-Michigan St game, then (regardless of whether your pick is right or wrong) you will pay a penalty of being forced to make an incorrect pick in some other game to balance out your improper pick. It really is easier if we do not go there so just remember to ONLY PICK GAMES INVOLVING AT LEAST ONE ACC TEAM!

One more important rule-- it is possible to be such a loser that you are eliminated from the contest. As in years past, if you find yourself 5000 units in the hole, you are out and may not make any more picks. Now, if you are -4900 you can still make a bunch of picks that day in the hope of catching up, but the moment you get to -5000, you are done picking.

If you have any other questions feel free to post it here and I can answer. For now, follow the instructions below and get started!

Contest Name: DBR 2021-22 Pre-season ACC Picking contest
    Access Password: DBR2122
    Commissioner: JasonEvans
    Start Date: Nov 9 2021
    End Date: Jan 3 2021
    How To Join: Click on to the following link --> https://contests.covers.com/officepo...9-addb00695790

-Jason "this is my year... I can feel it!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I didn’t notice all ACC teams with games as available picks tonight. Is that correct or am I going crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I didn’t notice all ACC teams with games as available picks tonight. Is that correct or am I going crazy?
    It is very possible more games will get added by Covers, but you are correct that several games are not available yet including Louisville-Southern, Va Tech-Maine, Syracuse-Lafayette, and UNC-Loyola.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is very possible more games will get added by Covers, but you are correct that several games are not available yet including Louisville-Southern, Va Tech-Maine, Syracuse-Lafayette, and UNC-Loyola.
    All of the ACC games are now up. I placed 24 bets (as usual).

It is fully possible to go from winner of last year's contest to out of the race in one evening. YOLO.

We've got 12 people in so far and I am sure more will join.

I've made about a dozen bets on tonight's games. I love Duke (-1), Lou (-26.5), and Va Tech (-27) to each cover. I also expect Virginia will play a little bit faster than usual this year and so they will hit the over (124).

So, my advice would be to bet against each of those in a big way

I'm on to a nice start... betting against the CHeats is like a double win

And Pitt goes down in flames

One L for me right off the bat.

I'm in. Thanks, Jason!

- Chillin

I took Army plus 25.5 points.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Duke wins by 26.
    Bob Green

Duke wins by 26.
    I have to confess, I was thinking of you when garbage time came. Coach K didn't pour it on, but Army just kind of wore out eventually.

I'm laying the points today....on the max bet versus the Camels.

Because I'm an idiot, I placed a bet yesterday on Boston University (playing yesterday), when I intended to place one on Boston College (who doesn't play until today). *Sigh* I've never tried to lose a bet before, but I seem pretty good at it normally. Let's see where this goes...
    Last edited by Phredd3; 11-17-2021 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Because I'm an idiot, I placed a bet yesterday on Boston University (playing yesterday), when I intended to place one on Boston College (who doesn't play until today). *Sigh* I've never tried to lose a bet before, but I seem pretty good at it normally. Let's see where this goes...
    Ooooh, this should be fun. Please post your attempts to fail here.

Ooooh, this should be fun. Please post your attempts to fail here.
    Today I'm picking Butler to lose by 3.5 points or less (or to win) against Izzo's team. So as hard as it is for me to cheer for the team in green, it'll sure be convenient for me if they can win this one and limit my pain to just one iteration of the 50-point VIG. If they lose, I'll still be kinda happy despite the extra pain, and if they win by three or less I'll just shoot myself to stop the misery.

Don’t worry. Looks like you are not the only one. Appears our current leader has made quite a few out of conference selections.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Don’t worry. Looks like you are not the only one. Appears our current leader has made quite a few out of conference selections.
    Uggg... I just looked at HereBeforeK is picking whatever game he wants, not just ACC games. Clearly he did not read the rules at the beginning of this thread.

26 of his 33 wagers thus far have been made on non-ACC games. That is simply to much to come back from. I'm going to ask Covers to remove his profile from our contest. He is disqualified. Once he is kicked out, he can rejoin if he follows the rules of the contest.

Bummer...

Today I'm picking Butler to lose by 3.5 points or less (or to win) against Izzo's team. So as hard as it is for me to cheer for the team in green, it'll sure be convenient for me if they can win this one and limit my pain to just one iteration of the 50-point VIG. If they lose, I'll still be kinda happy despite the extra pain, and if they win by three or less I'll just shoot myself to stop the misery.
    Self-quoting to confirm that Michigan State clobbered Butler last night, so my account is now straight. Of course, that also puts me from the lead - which I held legitimately early on - back to fifth place. I've got some work to do, but at least I'm no longer cheating.

Uggg... I just looked at HereBeforeK is picking whatever game he wants, not just ACC games. Clearly he did not read the rules at the beginning of this thread.

26 of his 33 wagers thus far have been made on non-ACC games. That is simply to much to come back from. I'm going to ask Covers to remove his profile from our contest. He is disqualified. Once he is kicked out, he can rejoin if he follows the rules of the contest.

Bummer...
    Isn't it hysterical how often this happens? The rules seem so simple. Yet people make mistakes (Phredd) or just simply don't read/follow rules (HBK) every single year.

It's not like this is our first time doing this. So funny to me.

- Chillin