Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    3-4 ACC wins would be fantastic. When was the last time we saw that?
    All the way back in 2019 when life was normal.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    To be clear, I didn’t see this coming. I had high hopes in 2019 and hopes heading into 2020. It was how 2020 played out that dashed my hopes. 2021 has now shredded and torched my hopes, and then farted in their general direction just to rub it in.

I would love to see Duke get 3-4 ACC wins on average and compete for the division when they catch lighting in a bottle.
    Exactly. I had high hopes thinking that Duke had a Clemson transfer who had played in some ACC games. Then Covid hit - Duke got a late start and last year was poor. Then the QB leaves and others with the new transfer rules and Duke has to start again with another QB. Cut has mostly averaged 3-4 ACC wins during his Duke tenure- sometimes more and sometimes less. Could he do it again when everything is back to normal- I think yes but he won’t get that chance and that is okay. At some point it will be time for a change and next year is fine. My point is that 3-4 ACC wins is the likely average. Cut did that until the very recent Covid times. Will a new coach do much better than that- we will see but let not lose sight of what Cut did- absent these crazy last two years.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    To be clear, I didn’t see this coming. I had high hopes in 2019 and hopes heading into 2020. It was how 2020 played out that dashed my hopes. 2021 has now shredded and torched my hopes, and then farted in their general direction just to rub it in.

I would love to see Duke get 3-4 ACC wins on average and compete for the division when they catch lighting in a bottle.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Exactly. I had high hopes thinking that Duke had a Clemson transfer who had played in some ACC games. Then Covid hit - Duke got a late start and last year was poor. Then the QB leaves and others with the new transfer rules and Duke has to start again with another QB. Cut has mostly averaged 3-4 ACC wins during his Duke tenure- sometimes more and sometimes less. Could he do it again when everything is back to normal- I think yes but he won’t get that chance and that is okay. At some point it will be time for a change and next year is fine. My point is that 3-4 ACC wins is the likely average. Cut did that until the very recent Covid times. Will a new coach do much better than that- we will see but let not lose sight of what Cut did- absent these crazy last two years.
    Same here.

I had good hopes for 2019, and it turned our to be a tough year. Still, no reason to change course.

2020 was challenging on many fronts, some out of our control. No reason to change, but reason to seriously evaluate 2021. (Or better stated, reason to consider changes but I would give Cut another year given what he has done and the screwed-up COVID year).

2021 — self-explanatory.

Tl;dr — I would not have made a change before this year and would have been surprised if we did. I would make a change at the end of this season and will be surprised if we do not.

It’s time!

This is now beyond embarrassing. This stretch of 11 straight ACC losses, almost all in blowouts, has been maybe the most painful Duke football I’ve seen. Cut is a good man, but has no answers, and has clearly the lost the team. He looks old, tired and his body language is terrible. I’ve mentioned before that Mark Richt at UGA and Paul Johnson at GT were successful and great runs, but both eventually faded and were let go. Kirby Smart was great upgrade at UGA, and jury is still out on Geoff Collins.

Saw the recent interview with Nina King in the N&O. She is “disappointed” but was clear that no decision would come until after season. I’m sure decision has already been made, but another embarrassment on Thu night ESPN game would be the final nail in coffin. Now that baseball is doing well, football is only sport where we are not competitive in ACC. Our recruiting last few years and number of NFL players should put us in middle of pack. Transfer portal will help too

I don’t know about Jim Knowles, but I would be in favor of Jeff Monken. I’d be fine with triple option, but we need better discipline, fewer turnovers and penalties. Let’s just be competitive and relevant again. Tired of being the laughingstock!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieAtlanta View Post
    This is now beyond embarrassing. This stretch of 11 straight ACC losses, almost all in blowouts, has been maybe the most painful Duke football I’ve seen. Cut is a good man, but has no answers, and has clearly the lost the team. He looks old, tired and his body language is terrible. I’ve mentioned before that Mark Richt at UGA and Paul Johnson at GT were successful and great runs, but both eventually faded and were let go. Kirby Smart was great upgrade at UGA, and jury is still out on Geoff Collins.

Saw the recent interview with Nina King in the N&O. She is “disappointed” but was clear that no decision would come until after season. I’m sure decision has already been made, but another embarrassment on Thu night ESPN game would be the final nail in coffin. Now that baseball is doing well, football is only sport where we are not competitive in ACC. Our recruiting last few years and number of NFL players should put us in middle of pack. Transfer portal will help too

I don’t know about Jim Knowles, but I would be in favor of Jeff Monken. I’d be fine with triple option, but we need better discipline, fewer turnovers and penalties. Let’s just be competitive and relevant again. Tired of being the laughingstock!
    https://247sports.com/Article/Duke-f...rt--175337490/

Quote Originally Posted by DukieAtlanta View Post

Very interesting and diverse points in your post...and your description of Cut IN BLUE is right on the money, and has been for a couple years to my eye. As for the transfer portal, i'm not sure how that helps us at all. In theory I think so, but I don't think people see Duke on TV and want to come. I think they want to leave. I see the portal as a problem. I like Knowles...but sorry on Moncken...and NO NO NO on the triple option. Air it out. First team to 50. The triple option might be the quickest way to being competitive, but it's also a turn off to fans IMO. AIR IT OUT and BLITZ BLITZ BLITZ ...what have we got to lose?

Fuente was effectively fired today (“mutual decision”). Can you imagine what they would have done to him if they had lost to Duke? Boggles the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    Fuente was effectively fired today (“mutual decision”). Can you imagine what they would have done to him if they had lost to Duke? Boggles the mind.
    Beating Duke doesn't give you the job security it used to.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Beating Duke doesn't give you the job security it used to.
    It didn’t work for Seth, either.