Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

The "I'm Not Going to Jinx It" Thread, 2021-22 Basketball Edition

Starting this thread a smidge early this year since, with the transfer portal and general weirdness upon the land, I expect things will be topsy-turvy and entertaining as heck.

Any time we see an upset brewing, we talk about something else, whether it's our favorite whiskey (no badgering), or whether Huskies or Salukis are better, or just post our current/favorite libation. Anything but the upset.

The goal, of course, is to let everyone know about impending upsets without startling the outcome. Upsets are delicate creatures, easily frightened, and will flee the court - they should only be approached obliquely. Shouting "UPSET ALERT: Akron is up on Ohio State!" causes shots to clank and rebounds to go awry, and we get Zip. Instead, maybe drop into Yoda speak. "A trend to Buck, I will not."

Caveat: Of course, the observer effect suggests that simply one's awareness is enough to jinx the whole dang enterprise. We will just have to take our chances.

Enjoy!

Also, someone last year requested notification of the network showing the upsets. Seems like a good idea, so if you could include those in your posts, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    Also, someone last year requested notification of the network showing the upsets. Seems like a good idea, so if you could include those in your posts, it would be appreciated. Thanks!
    oof...dunno...that might jinx it.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    oof...dunno...that might jinx it.
    I will encode my network reference. Is "MouseWork" too obvious?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Shouting "UPSET ALERT: Akron is up on Ohio State!" causes shots to clank and rebounds to go awry, and we get Zip.
    The subtlety here is much appreciated and admired.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I will encode my network reference. Is "MouseWork" too obvious?
    With the creative folks here, the idea of encoding the network is bound to be fun. Run with it.

"Rupp-roh!" (SEC Network)

This is probably my favorite yearly EK board thread category, and as usual Brevity knocks it out of the park (and with appropriate brevity, I might add).

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    This is probably my favorite yearly EK board thread category, and as usual Brevity knocks it out of the park (and with appropriate brevity, I might add).
    That brevity sure is a wild cat. Miles ahead of the rest.

Huh

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    "Rupp-roh!" (SEC Network)
    The Securities and Exchange Commission sure gets around.

Miles to go.

Alas, not looking to happen. Shooting unsustainably high in the first half, then ice cold in the second. Water appears to have found its level a bit.

So it didn’t end in a TyTy?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

A trend to Buck, I will not? (ESPN2)

Zip to be happy about in Columbus right now

I am in favor of a simple identification of the TV station, fwiw. For lots of reasons.

But everyone do as they feel best.

Starting this thread a smidge early this year since, with the transfer portal and general weirdness upon the land, I expect things will be topsy-turvy and entertaining as heck.

Any time we see an upset brewing, we talk about something else, whether it's our favorite whiskey (no badgering), or whether Huskies or Salukis are better, or just post our current/favorite libation. Anything but the upset.

The goal, of course, is to let everyone know about impending upsets without startling the outcome. Upsets are delicate creatures, easily frightened, and will flee the court - they should only be approached obliquely. Shouting "UPSET ALERT: Akron is up on Ohio State!" causes shots to clank and rebounds to go awry, and we get Zip. Instead, maybe drop into Yoda speak. "A trend to Buck, I will not."

Caveat: Of course, the observer effect suggests that simply one's awareness is enough to jinx the whole dang enterprise. We will just have to take our chances.

Enjoy!
    As a Buckeye fan, I find THE example that you selected a bit too on point.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Zip to be happy about in Columbus right now
    Great execution by tOSU on their last play.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Great execution by tOSU on their last play.
    Yeah, I’m thinking the Zips defender should have hacked the OSU players instead of trying not to foul but he may have been in a bad position.

Weirdly I would have been more nervous later in the season if Akron had won--it would have created more pressure for Duke's visit to an Ohio State, e.g. "If Akron can win there, why can't Duke?" It's a little thing, but I worry about a lot!