View Poll Results: Avatars on DBR? (aka those little pictures next to your name)

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 57.61%
  • No

39 42.39%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would you like DBR to use Avatars?

Just curious what the masses think about avatars. Personally, I like them. It puts a "face" on the posters and gives you a chance to personalize things a bit. Also as throaty mentioned in one of the other threads, sigs with pictures can get really ridiculous and unwieldy. What do you think?

Yours beat mine by like 2 minutes, so I deleted mine.

But I had a third (middle) option: "they're cool as long as they're size-limited," which I would have chosen. But I voted yes on your poll.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Yours beat mine by like 2 minutes, so I deleted mine.

But I had a third (middle) option: "they're cool as long as they're size-limited," which I would have chosen. But I voted yes on your poll.
    Yeah, I think I stole your idea when I read your other post suggesting the poll. I agree on size limitations, though (as long as they can still be animated).

An interesting note that influenced my vote: in the options section, you can choose to have avatars turned off.

In other words, if you don't like them, you don't have to see them, but it still allows others like throatybeard the privilege of having one.

Curious

What is the argument against them?

Sure

I typically think avatars are fine, but if the guys are trying to limit their bandwidth usage to save some $$, I'm ok with leaving them out.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    What is the argument against them?
    Personally, I find that they clutter up the board and aren't really necessary. We've survived for very very long without them.

But then again, like I said, I can turn them off no problem. If others want to use them, I've got no problem with it, I would just like to see DBR make an effort to keep them classy. Go to some of the other ACC forums and you'll know what I'm talking about. This isn't a WWF forum.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I typically think avatars are fine, but if the guys are trying to limit their bandwidth usage to save some $$, I'm ok with leaving them out.
    That's a great point I hadn't considered.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    An interesting note that influenced my vote: in the options section, you can choose to have avatars turned off.

In other words, if you don't like them, you don't have to see them, but it still allows others like throatybeard the privilege of having one.
    That's a good point. Also, there are firefox extensions that work explicitly with vbulletin that allow you the option of removing all avatars, sigs, etc (never tried it, don't know how well it works...) so you could certainly customize your viewing experience.

DukeUSUL's point is good, I echo Feldspar echoing that.

Otherwise, if you can turn them off in your view of the board I don't see why not have them. I can only speak for myself, but I get a lot of silly little pleasure out of changing my avatar at The Devil's Den every few months.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

I get a lot of silly little pleasure out of changing my avatar at The Devil's Den every few months.
    Or being lazy and not having one in other places

Yes, as long as:
    (a) there are rules on how often you can change them. (on some forums people change them like tshirts, gives no help whatsoever)
    (b) no animations!

It's worth pointing out that no animations would put BluBones out of business.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Otherwise, if you can turn them off in your view of the board I don't see why not have them. I can only speak for myself, but I get a lot of silly little pleasure out of changing my avatar at The Devil's Den every few months.

I agree with throaty, avatars are fun and those who disagree can turn them off.

And Stray's chomping gator-head (if it were in the avatar, that is)

It's worth pointing out that no animations would put BluBones out of business.
    Ahem. It's true. I'm clearly pro-avatar, if only b/c I've been using my little bony-boy on DBR since the juliovision days. It's useful. I can post on BBS's where I haven't been active for years (like, um, DBR) and be remembered. I'd also hate to lose StrayGator's classic ani, which has been around longer than mine.

Nevertheless, I've been on boards where the animations are a terrible distraction. On the old DBR BBS this was less of an issue b/c one viewed one post at a time instead of the entire thread. If everyone starts using animated avatars here the threads might take on the look of a string of Christmas tree lights. I suggest we wait and see. We DBR folks are a reserved, cultivated bunch. It may not become a problem. However, if the community votes that things are getting out of hand, I'll suspend Mr. Bones for the good of the site.

I'm in favor of allowing non-animated avatars, subject to reasonable restrictions for size and content. I'd still use the animated chomping gator as my sig, of course.

Stray ~~~;~~~;~

As long as I don't have to be distracted by big bouncy breasts I'm okay with avatars. I'm trying to read here, people!

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    As long as I don't have to be distracted by big bouncy breasts I'm okay with avatars. I'm trying to read here, people!
    The above, yeah, that's why I was thinking of the Wake Forest board.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

I like size-limited avatars, but would prefer no animation and no large type in signatures - annoyingly distracting, plus it calls attention to the screen when I'm reading at work.