Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Danny Ferry’s dad passes

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32489858

Bob Ferry passed away at 84. References Danny at Duke, just wish all the writer said about Danny’s career was true.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 10-27-2021 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post

just wish all the writer said about Danny’s career was true.

Somewhere in the multiverse.

Sorry to hear about his dad, best wishes to their family.

That is a rather amusing error.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I want the multiverse one where no one dies...teleport me to that one Spaceman Spiff.

Bob Ferry in the NBA
    7th overall pick
    10 seasons played -- with Hawks, Pistons, and Bullets
    9.1 pts/game
    5.3 rebounds/game

Danny Ferry in the NBA
    2nd overall pick
    13 seasons played -- with Cleveland and San Antonio
    7.0 pts/game
    2.8 rebounds/game

i remember Danny's last game at Duke, which I think may also have been the day his jersey was retired. His parents were at the game, and just about everyone in Cameron was yelling, "One more kid! One more kid!" when Danny was introduced. Johnny D. was K's first superstar recruit, but Danny was the first really high rep player (to the best of my recollection) where we went head to head with The Schnozz and won.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedweb View Post
    i remember Danny's last game at Duke, which I think may also have been the day his jersey was retired. His parents were at the game, and just about everyone in Cameron was yelling, "One more kid! One more kid!" when Danny was introduced. Johnny D. was K's first superstar recruit, but Danny was the first really high rep player (to the best of my recollection) where we went head to head with The Schnozz and won.
    Danny Ferry was indeed the first recruit to turn down Dean Smith for Mike Krzyzewski.

Which makes one wonder how Smith managed to not recruit Johnny Dawkins or Mark Alarie.

Bob Ferry, Jr. played for Harvard. Decent player. Harvard visited Duke in the 1985 season, Bob Jr.'s senior season at Harvard. Danny was a prep senior. So, of course the Crazies chanted "We want your brother."

One of the stranger chants in Cameron history.

Danny told me once that since he grew up following his father's career as an NBA front-office guy, he (Danny) didn't really follow college ball much and didn't have a favorite college team growing up.

Bob Ferry was a legend here in St. Louis (as in St. Louis University), but DBR had this long before the St. Louis Post-Disgrace.

I recall laughing at Bob's delight in having his soon to be millionaire son Danny cutting the grass for his parents right before the NBA draft.

Danny Ferry was indeed the first recruit to turn down Dean Smith for Mike Krzyzewski.
    I will never forget driving home from Raleigh from a conference & hearing the announcement on the radio. I think I screamed for the next ten miles at least. It was a huge moment for Duke & Coach K.

My memory is that a freshman Danny Ferry scored the winning put-back basket to beat Kansas and put Duke in the NCAA Championship game in 86.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I recall laughing at Bob's delight in having his soon to be millionaire son Danny cutting the grass for his parents right before the NBA draft.

That’s beyond awesome. Hard to imagine happening today. Good to be kept a little humble.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    My memory is that a freshman Danny Ferry scored the winning put-back basket to beat Kansas and put Duke in the NCAA Championship game in 86.
    Go to about 1:43:30

One of the great K quotes of all time...

After the game he was asked why he put freshman Danny Ferry in the game instead of senior veteran Jay Bilas. K responded, "I put Ferry in so he could pick the loose ball up off the ground and make the winning basket."
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Danny and some of his friends were sitting at the next table from me in the CI shortly before he was drafted. He joked that he wanted his Dad, who was GM for the some team at the time, to draft him, he would hire his Mom as his agent, and he'd have the best contract in the NBA!

I usually go to a game a year in Cameron these days, and it seems like I see Danny at the game every year!

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I will never forget driving home from Raleigh from a conference & hearing the announcement on the radio. I think I screamed for the next ten miles at least. It was a huge moment for Duke & Coach K.
    Similar memory. Living in Charlotte at the time and only sports radio was the John Kilgo show. Kilgo was a huge Cheat homer and invited Bob Gibbons - self described recruiting guru to call into his show (we knew to tune in for this). With a snark in his question, Kilgo asked Gibbons where Ferry was going to college.

When Gibbons said “Duke”; total silence on the radio and obviously Kilgo didn’t know the answer in advance. Kilgo basically didn’t believe him and I think thought it was a joke. Very difficult living in Charlotte as a Dukie with Cheat fans and their wives (all named Peaches) on every corner.

In the early 80s, Kilgo actually said Dean’s record at that time (handful of Final Fours, but no Championships) surpassed that of John Wooden who’d retired about 6 years earlier.

Which makes one wonder how Smith managed to not recruit Johnny Dawkins or Mark Alarie.

Bob Ferry, Jr. played for Harvard. Decent player. Harvard visited Duke in the 1985 season, Bob Jr.'s senior season at Harvard. Danny was a prep senior. So, of course the Crazies chanted "We want your brother."

One of the stranger chants in Cameron history.

Danny told me once that since he grew up following his father's career as an NBA front-office guy, he (Danny) didn't really follow college ball much and didn't have a favorite college team growing up.
    Wasn’t that the game where one of Harvard’s Black players pretended to be Bob Jr. when he was introduced? I think the Cameron crowd was momentarily confused until they realized they were being punked.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetHurleyFan View Post
    That’s beyond awesome. Hard to imagine happening today. Good to be kept a little humble.
    One quote I remembe4r is when Danny spurned the Clippers and signed with a team in Rome. Apparently, the team, Il Messaggero, said it would rent a villa for him. He said no thanks --" I'd have to have my Mom come over and take care of it." He ended up with a nice apartment.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Draft picks

Drafted Manute Bol and Muggsy Bogues (not in the same year).

https://www.basketball-reference.com...errybo01x.html

Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    Wasn’t that the game where one of Harvard’s Black players pretended to be Bob Jr. when he was introduced? I think the Cameron crowd was momentarily confused until they realized they were being punked.

Yes, I was one of the stunned Duke students in Cameron referred to in John Feinstein's article on Bob Ferry.

Bob Ferry built the Washington Bullets into NBA champions, one laugh at a time

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/10/28/bob-ferry-nba-washington-bullets/

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post

Bob Ferry passed away at 84. References Danny at Duke, just wish all the writer said about Danny’s career was true.
    Someone in the UNC journalism mafia must have complained, because it's since been fixed.

His son Danny was a star at Duke, where he was national player of the year and made three NCAA Final Four appearances.

It was nice having the 1986 national title for a few days. Pretty sure Louisville didn't notice it was gone, based on their experience with national titles and the NCAA.