Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    JJ following up (warning, language not suitable for the kid’s table):

https://twitter.com/oldmanandthree/s...590963207?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    JJ will do fine but he’ll probably get frustrated with the “hot take” conflict-driven programming that dominates sports coverage these days. I think ESPN underestimates their audience’s desire for informed and level debate but Stephen A is still around so what do I know.
    Reviving this old thread for an absolutely classic case-in-point example from today: JJ trying to keep Stephen A from going off too far into hypothetical-land. (Spoiler, it didn't work and was hilarious.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    Reviving this old thread for an absolutely classic case-in-point example from today: JJ trying to keep Stephen A from going off too far into hypothetical-land. (Spoiler, it didn't work and was hilarious.)
    Stephen A. is not married.

I'm shocked... shocked, I say... to find out there is no one out there who wants to spend as much time as possible with Stephen A.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    I hope JJ has a path to NBA analyst that doesn’t involve sparring with Stephen A. If this is representative, I’m not going to watch many (any?) of their exchanges.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    This is a low blow, but a reasonable request nonetheless.

Podcast is one thing, the bright lights and huge audience is another. Whom he is paired with is also a huge factor in his success.

Our own Shane Battier gave it a go and seemed to have some difficulty getting his personality across. Even Grant hasn't been an A+, although part of that is that I think Bill Raftery is a bit passive aggressive towards him.

My point is that nothing is guaranteed. I hope JJ does well. He is one of my favorite Duke players of all time and I happened to meet him by chance about 10 years ago. He was incredibly gracious and kind.
    It's a low/no-risk play for JJ, with huge upside.

Worst case, he gains a few thousand more followers and leaves with good podcast stories about how he bombed at ESPN.

If it works, he has an option to stay and boost his following on ESPN's nickel, and time the market to go seek a bigger deal for his own brand (ala Pat McAfee).

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I hope JJ has a path to NBA analyst that doesn’t involve sparring with Stephen A. If this is representative, I’m not going to watch many (any?) of their exchanges.
    Stephen A. always has has amps dialed up to 11. I could like him a bit if he would just tone it down and talk, rather than argue, with people on his show. That's probably not going to happen.

I've grown to like Molly Q more. I previously described her on this board as "lovely but clueless". That probably wasn't fair but she now asserts herself to Stephen A. and the others. I wonder if her husband had a word with Stephen A. and asked him to treat Molly with a little more respect. If so, I think it was a good idea.