CBS - Top 101 Players in Men's College BBall

Obviously these things are all subjective, but I feel quite comfortable saying that Drew Timme is not the best player in college basketball this year. Nor was he the guy who actually led the Zags to the championship game last year.

He's a very good college player, but was very much reliant on the talents of Jalen Suggs and others to create easy baskets for him. He probably led the nation in uncontested layups/dunks last year. And he's definitely not the biggest reason why the Zags are the consensus #1 team going into this season.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Obviously these things are all subjective, but I feel quite comfortable saying that Drew Timme is not the best player in college basketball this year. Nor was he the guy who actually led the Zags to the championship game last year.

He's a very good college player, but was very much reliant on the talents of Jalen Suggs and others to create easy baskets for him. He probably led the nation in uncontested layups/dunks last year. And he's definitely not the biggest reason why the Zags are the consensus #1 team going into this season.
    I agree that Timme is not the best player in college basketball and wasn't last year, either. He is very good. He understands off-ball movement extremely well for a player his size. Andrew Nembhard is one of the guys that helps facilitate that offense for Gonzaga and he'll be back again this year. Nembhard led the team in assists in the Sweet 16 and both Final Four games, for example. I think Timme is going to get his points this season, especially if Chet Holmgren makes a reasonable share of jumpers. That being said, Timme's impact on the game is somewhat limited for a premier scorer. He's a good but not great scorer. He keeps the ball moving on offense and isn't a black hole when it comes to distributing the ball. But he gives you next to nothing when it comes to steals or rim protection. Baylor was able to completely stymie him with switching and then their length in the frontcourt. Mark Vital and the centers were able to outwork and recover on him. He also struggled against the West Virginia bigs, Dereck Culver and Oscar Tshiebwe, as well as Luka Garza for Iowa.

I think the lesson here is that Duke can make him work harder for his shots and might be able to exploit him on defense if Paolo, for example, gets to take him from the perimeter. The issue not becomes what to do with Chet Holmgren, a legit shot blocker and weakside defender. If Chet slides over, then that should open up the dump-off for Mark Williams and Theo or a rotation from the wings where Paolo can kick it out to a shooter. I'm really interested to see if Coach K tries to exploit Timme and his limited defensive abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

I totally agree and also think Holmgren is too high. Eventually Chet may be a dominant player but he doesn’t have the strength yet and his playmaking skills are a bit overrated as he turns the ball over too much from the video I saw. I do like Holmgren’s competitiveness and the Zags offense will allow him to put up solid numbers- just not enough to merit top 5 player rating.