Duke MBB using NIL Analytics to lure recruits

Duke MBB is using analytics from Nielsen to convince recruits that coming here will boost their brand and hence the chance to earn NIL $. Just as with advertisers for radio and tv programs, the Nielsen info presumably can be shared with potential sponsors to get them to choose Duke players over those at other schools. At some point the rankings of schools will be leaked, but given that Duke is the first to use the service the article does not have that information. The TV info presumably will be of less benefit to either FB or non revenue sports given the smaller media impact, although it may be relevant for more niche sports like lacrosse or gymnastics in the SEC.

https://www.on3.com/news/duke-start-...-impact-score/

Outstanding. Exactly what we should be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Outstanding. Exactly what we should be doing.
    yes, for BB...in the short run. But that which will save BB, and help it thrive in the short run, will destroy football...where Duke's NIL appeal is probably dead last in the nation. And the ACC as a league is relatively poor in long term NIL prospects across BB and FB. Which invites the question: how long will this sustain? Demographics are not the friend of the ACC. And you can never ultimately beat demographics.

yeah, I know, pessimistic. I've sensed this coming a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    yes, for BB...in the short run. But that which will save BB, and help it thrive in the short run, will destroy football...where Duke's NIL appeal is probably dead last in the nation. And the ACC as a league is relatively poor in long term NIL prospects across BB and FB. Which invites the question: how long will this sustain? Demographics are not the friend of the ACC. And you can never ultimately beat demographics.

Sounds like Duke should play to its strengths, in the short, medium and long run.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Sounds like Duke should play to its strengths, in the short, medium and long run.
    Or bubble screens!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Or bubble screens!
    ha, keep going to it until they learn how to defend it!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post

Well, Duke rarely recruits 4 and 5 star guys, and those are the ones that will be most affected. The three stars that we most commonly go after and get likely won't be the targets of such analytics. Some will, sure, but I don't think it will change much. There's a big and important difference when the guys you are after on a basketball team is a much smaller number than the guys you are recruiting on a football team.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Interesting that women's volleyball is the #3 sport right now (I think I read that) behind football and men's basketball as it relates to NIL compensation. I don't think the NCAA women's volleyball championship typically attracts that many eyeballs, but clearly, some of these women have larger social media followings that they are able to leverage.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Interesting that women's volleyball is the #3 sport right now (I think I read that) behind football and men's basketball as it relates to NIL compensation. I don't think the NCAA women's volleyball championship typically attracts that many eyeballs, but clearly, some of these women have larger social media followings that they are able to leverage.
    Two words.

Short shorts.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Two words.

Short shorts.
    CB&B is over here saying the quiet part out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Two words.

Short shorts.
    Breaking out into two choruses of "Who Wears Short Shorts".

https://youtu.be/UcvjXAtzaMU

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    CB&B is over here saying the quiet part out loud.
    I typed softly, though.

[QUOTE=Indoor66;1411660]Breaking out into two choruses of "Who Wears Short Shorts".

https://youtu.be/UcvjXAtzaMU

Per one NIL tracking company

"The average compensation for all athletes who have at least one NIL deal is $366.89. The average amount for a Division I athlete is $391, followed by $78 for Division II athletes and $35 for Division III athletes.

In terms of the top sports for athlete compensation, football (55.4 percent) ranks first, followed by men’s basketball (13.4), women’s volleyball (6.7) and women’s basketball (4.7).

Quote Originally Posted by pokeresq View Post

"The average compensation for all athletes who have at least one NIL deal is $366.89. The average amount for a Division I athlete is $391, followed by $78 for Division II athletes and $35 for Division III athletes.

In terms of the top sports for athlete compensation, football (55.4 percent) ranks first, followed by men’s basketball (13.4), women’s volleyball (6.7) and women’s basketball (4.7).
    On hand one, "average" doesn't mean much. Jeff Bezos and I average 100 billiion in net worth. The compensation among top recruits or recruits at top shcools, or all american players I think is much more interesting.

On the other hand, it helps demonstrate that people on the whole really don't care about the individual players, but for the schools...and there really isn't, and never was, much of a market for what amount to minor-league players outside of the loyalty people feel toward a school.

Jay Bilas shoves "pay them what they're worth" down or throats, and well, Jay, the market is telling them what they're worth and the answer is "not all that much."
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by pokeresq View Post

I'd bet a small amount that when the article refers to "average," it means "median" and not "mean." Median, in fact. is the appropriate statistic for such a discussion -- it's the midpoint of all payments to players ranked by value. Other posters are right -- that there are million-dollar deals and, spread over all deals, it would raise the "mean" into the thousands.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'The mean net worth today from my row at freshman assembly in Page Auditorium 60 years ago is in the tens of millions of dollars -- that's one really rich guy and a dozen deadbeats'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013