Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Wake and Pitt are both significantly better than us, but I don't see either as unbeatable per say (although I'm virtually certain we will in fact lose both, please don't take these posts as a sign of optimism).
    I understand, we all retain a glimmer of hope. Something new out of our offense would be refreshing.

For what it's worth, the number suggest that Pitt is in a different category - they are top ten is both FPI and SP+. They also have a QB who is a legitimate heisman candidate. I would be pretty surprised if Duke is competitive in that game.

Wake is good, but they don't have the type of athletes that should scare us. Play well, finish drives, get lucky in the turnover department, and an upset is at least possible.

There is a typo in my last post that is going to bother me until the day I die...if you saw it please just know that I also see it (edit window closed).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    I'm not saying Duke will win, or even cover the spread in this game. But don't be surprised if this one is close. For one, despite Wake's record, the numbers suggest that they are merely "pretty good." The AP poll has Wake at #13, but they're just 37th in SP+ and 35th in FPI (Duke is 85th and 96th). Moreover, Duke and Wake generally recruit the same level of athletes. This has led to some competitive games even when one team has been much better than the other.

In 2006, Wake had their best team in a generation, winning 11 games and the ACC title. They played a Duke team that went 0-12. Duke missed a chip shot field goal that would have won it, and Wake won 14-13. (Side note: this was also Thad's first game as a starter).

In 2013, Duke had its best team in a generation, winning 10 games and the Coastal title. Wake was limping to a 4-8 record in Grobe's last year (quite similar to Duke this season). Wake jumped out to a 14-0 lead (side note: I'm still mad that the officials failed to overturn a fumble recovery TD for Wake, as Isaac Blakeney was clearly down), and Duke had to come back to win 28-21.

Wake is a solid team and they have a chance at a historic season for their program. That said, they've also a bit lucky to be 7-0 given some poor defensive performances and some close wins. Their defense will bite them eventually, and if they keep playing close games, they'll eventually lose one. It probably won't happen Saturday. But it might.
    Trap game!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

There is a typo in my last post that is going to bother me until the day I die...if you saw it please just know that I also see it (edit window closed).
    Fixed. My edit window never closes.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Fixed. My edit window never closes.
    Showoff.

ESPN showed this morning that Wake has an 88% chance to win this weekend's game. It doesn't hurt anything to look at it as a 12% chance at a Duke win. <insert Jim Carey graphic here>

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    This can definitely be interpreted a couple ways, both of which make perfect sense.
    This is a great post and I choose to believe both interpretations.

Links to a couple articles at North State Journal:

1. Is this the last Duke - Wake game for Head Coaches Cutcliffe and Clawson?

https://nsjonline.com/article/2021/1...are-off-again/

2. Wake doesn’t expect much trouble from struggling Duke.

https://nsjonline.com/article/2021/1...-acc-atlantic/
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    2. Wake doesn’t expect much trouble from struggling Duke.

https://nsjonline.com/article/2021/1...-acc-atlantic/
    Coach Dave Clawson’s 13th-ranked Deacons don’t figure to have much trouble extending their winning streak to eight on Saturday against struggling Duke.

That will be the last gimme on a schedule that closes with trips to Chapel Hill and Clemson’s Death Valley sandwiched between the State game before finishing with yet another road trip, this one to Boston College.
    I think that's way more the writer putting words in Wake's mouths than anyone on Clawson's team saying so. (I don't see anyone quoted from the Deacons, not coaches nor players.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I think that's way more the writer putting words in Wake's mouths than anyone on Clawson's team saying so. (I don't see anyone quoted from the Deacons, not coaches nor players.)
    Clawson was on the radio earlier, was focusing on the fact that this is a conference game while the unc game coming up is not (they scheduled it as an OOC game). Which struck me as the right thing to say, but also the kind of thing a coach says when he's trying to get an opponent seriously that they otherwise might not.

And the writer thinks Cut is more likely coaching at Duke next year than not. Implies, only social media is questioning his tenure.

Agreed. But it is hard to argue with Brett Friedlander’s position.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    And the writer thinks Cut is more likely coaching at Duke next year than not. Implies, only social media is questioning his tenure.
    The first of the two articles that Bob linked proves that is not true.

For a little levity before tomorrow's game...feel free to plug in Wake Forest or whoever else at your leisure...I'm starting to feel good about our shot at the title!

https://www.myteamisbetterthanyourte...=2021;method=2

Screenshot_20211029-145930-963.jpg

T
    he first of the two articles that Bob linked proves that is not true.
    https://nsjonline.com/article/2021/10/last-dance-david-cutcliffe-dave-clawson-square-off-again/

My reading of the next to last paragraph above disagrees with your “proof”. The author doesn’t think this is last meeting of the two coaches at the two schools. And I’m not hearing any reports that he’s on a hot seat yet.

Anyway, I’m not advocating that Cut remain if the season ends winless in ACC, just not sure the Admin will take any action.

Sorry copy of link from cell didn’t go well

For a little levity before tomorrow's game...feel free to plug in Wake Forest or whoever else at your leisure...I'm starting to feel good about our shot at the title!

https://www.myteamisbetterthanyourte...=2021;method=2

Screenshot_20211029-145930-963.jpg
    If you're into morbid humor, plug in Virginia (need to spell it out, not UVA).

https://nsjonline.com/article/2021/10/last-dance-david-cutcliffe-dave-clawson-square-off-again/

My reading of the next to last paragraph above disagrees with your “proof”. The author doesn’t think this is last meeting of the two coaches at the two schools. And I’m not hearing any reports that he’s on a hot seat yet.

Anyway, I’m not advocating that Cut remain if the season ends winless in ACC, just not sure the Admin will take any action.

Duke football doesn't have a hot seat. That's one of our better attributes for enticing new coaches. Having said that, I have reason to believe that La Nina understands the situation.

From your first post...
    Implies, only social media is questioning his tenure.
    The whole premise of the article was about questioning it. Just because he came to the conclusion that Cut will still be here doesn't change that. So therefore, "only social media" are not the only ones asking.

From your first post...

The whole premise of the article was about questioning it. Just because he came to the conclusion that Cut will still be here doesn't change that. So therefore, "only social media" are not the only ones asking.
    Ok, we choose to disagree. I simply haven’t seen writers (and obviously no one from Duke) really strongly speculate that Cut’s time may be up. This Board and maybe Devils Den have discussed it; but my takeaway, Duke football is so unimportant that most don’t care or even follow the subject.

I’ll stop posting about the Cut situation as I have no inside information.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    All white uniforms tomorrow, against what I’ll presume is all black from Wake.