Shavlik Randolph retrospective

Good article if you're interested.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/20-years-later-randolph-reflects-on-being-one-of-nc-s-most-sought-after-recruits/19941603/

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    ...thanks for the link. All I can think of is how he/we were SCREWED against UCONN....

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...thanks for the link. All I can think of is how he/we were SCREWED against UCONN...
    This is a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...thanks for the link. All I can think of is how he/we were SCREWED against UCONN...
    100% truth. If there were a higher percentage than 100 I would choose that.

Even though it’s been more than 17 years the memory of this game still haunts me.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    As I casually followed his career, I was impressed how long he stuck it out overseas. In the article, he mentioned wondering if he was losing the drive to make it as a player during his various injuries while at Duke. The guy just hung it up so that's a really long career playing ball. He earned close to $5MM in the NBA and if he spent wisely and made a bunch more in China and various other spots, he hopefully has enough of a nest egg to transition into the end of his "young adult" phase of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    100% truth. If there were a higher percentage than 100 I would choose that.

Even though it’s been more than 17 years the memory of this game still haunts me.
    still ticks me off too....it's like Shavlik got this reputation as "foul prone" and so everytime there was contact, a ref would whistle Shavlik because after all, "he is foul prone you know..." - it was like self fulfilling BS...

Cool

Jason Evans' favorite player!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    ... he hopefully has enough of a nest egg to transition into the end of his "young adult" phase of life.
    As a classmate of Shavlik and his vaunted recruiting class, I'll give you sporks for this perspective on our age.

He mentioned that he is now just one credit away from getting his degree from Duke. Way to go, Shav!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    He mentioned that he is now just one credit away from getting his degree from Duke. Way to go, Shav!
    Art lab! Took me over the finish line! One credit to get me to the magic number.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I always liked Shavlik. I got to talk to Bucky Waters another NC State Grad. He got rejected at the final minutes of recruiting by Bill Bradley at Duke and Raleigh Broughton's Pete Maravich when he coached at West Virginia. Great story teller.
    Perhaps Okafor Giles can carve out an Overseas career like Shavlik did. Reamed by the referees Final 4 against UCONN.Shav recovered with that great surgeon in Vail Colorado restoring his terribly damaged hip.
    Last edited by heyman25; 10-26-2021 at 10:27 PM.

You go man!