Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    In watching this a second time I was impressed by the unselfish passing. Mark did have a highlight or two and one of them was the dump down pass from the high post to Paolo. Paolo also had a similar pass down to Theo. There were also a lot of drives and then kick-outs to shooters.

They do look like they are playing as a team on offense not just a group of great individual players. The latter offensive scheme is what we saw too often last year.

As for defense the only highlights I saw were Jeremy taking a charge and I think Jaylen poking the ball away to start a break...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    In watching this a second time I was impressed by the unselfish passing. Mark did have a highlight or two and one of them was the dump down pass from the high post to Paolo. Paolo also had a similar pass down to Theo. There were also a lot of drives and then kick-outs to shooters.

They do look like they are playing as a team on offense not just a group of great individual players. The latter offensive scheme is what we saw too often last year.

As for defense the only highlights I saw were Jeremy taking a charge and I think Jaylen poking the ball away to start a break...
    Yes- I have noticed the emphasis on passing with this group. It seems like this group enjoys moving the ball through the air. It would be great to see this as a major part of the offense. It has been somewhat limited in the last few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post

Now there is nothing worse than cherry picking, but Joey had a couple of nice ball-fake penetrations with a hard dribble into the paint where he found an open shooter in the corner or opposite wing. That kind of move is pretty new for him and nice to see. He looks very comfortable this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Now there is nothing worse than cherry picking, but Joey had a couple of nice ball-fake penetrations with a hard dribble into the paint where he found an open shooter in the corner or opposite wing. That kind of move is pretty new for him and nice to see. He looks very comfortable this year.
    I think this is an important observation. Imo, a good handle is a, maybe the, crucial attribute for all perimeter players. Baker showed little improvement of his handle (and footwork) through last season.

If he can put the ball on the floor even just a little and see the floor better, he should be more of a threat on O. And any improvement in footwork should help him on D. He’s a willing, even enthusiastic defender, but hasn’t consistently shown solid defensive skills.

In some years past (Zion notwithstanding), my impression was that Duke has always been hyper-talented, but because our teams tend to be so young we have looked like "boys" against "men" (not, to be clear boyz2men). These guys just look physically mature - Keels reminds me of Nate James in how he presents on the court and the others just look bigger and stronger.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    In some years past (Zion notwithstanding), my impression was that Duke has always been hyper-talented, but because our teams tend to be so young we have looked like "boys" against "men" (not, to be clear boyz2men). These guys just look physically mature - Keels reminds me of Nate James in how he presents on the court and the others just look bigger and stronger.
    For whatever it may be worth, this has to be the bulkiest Blue Devil team I can recall...among the top eight, John, Banchero, Keels, Moore and Griffin are all solidly built...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    For whatever it may be worth, this has to be the bulkiest Blue Devil team I can recall...among the top eight, John, Banchero, Keels, Moore and Griffin are all solidly built...
    It was my impression that the Baylor champion team last year was quite bulky

This should help us in the "knocked back" category, if not figuratively then literally.

Watched some of the scrimmage video, and it appears in the 4 minutes of play shown, we outscored them 54-0.

So by taking what was shown at face value and extrapolating, I expect us to be winning shutouts by several hundred points each game.

Or maybe I'm putting too much stock into the predictions extrapolated form a highlight video?
    April 1

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Watched some of the scrimmage video, and it appears in the 4 minutes of play shown, we outscored them 54-0.

So by taking what was shown at face value and extrapolating, I expect us to be winning shutouts by several hundred points each game.

Or maybe I'm putting too much stock into the predictions extrapolated form a highlight video?
    I’ll have two of whatever you’re having!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

Hmmmm...this was my take as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I’ll have two of whatever you’re having!
    stone IPA
    April 1

Interesting that Keels is being described as a PG. Judging from the highlight clips and C2C, Keels handles the ball at least as much as Roach, if not more. It really looks like he and Roach are going to be dual interchangable lead guards, much like Tyus and Quinn, Scheyer and Smith, or J-will and Duhon. Things turned out pretty well for those backcourts.

(Also great to see Dickie V. up and around on social media)

keels.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Interesting that Keels is being described as a PG. Judging from the highlight clips and C2C, Keels handles the ball at least as much as Roach, if not more. It really looks like he and Roach are going to be dual interchangable lead guards, much like Tyus and Quinn, Scheyer and Smith, or J-will and Duhon. Things turned out pretty well for those backcourts.

keels.jpg
    Quinn was never sharing ball handling duties with Tyus, nor Smith with Scheyer. Tyus and Jon were 100% the primary PGs on those teams. It doesn't mean they NEVER brought the ball up, but it was not like it was PG by committe or anything.

I suspect, as with those scenarios, one of Keels and Roach will end up being the primary choice.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

keels.jpg
    Incredible. Hope this is true.

A month ago, I thought Keels was one of those "come in as a confident shooter but not shoot up to your reputation" freshman. I was lukewarm on Keels at best. Hell, I thought he was a fringe rotation player.

If we can have a core of Keels, Moore, Banchero, and Williams with role players Roach, Griffin, John, and (situationally) Baker, that's a helluva team. Note I define "core" by being nearly indispensable.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Incredible. Hope this is true.

A month ago, I thought Keels was one of those "come in as a confident shooter but not shoot up to your reputation" freshman. I was lukewarm on Keels at best. Hell, I thought he was a fringe rotation player.

If we can have a core of Keels, Moore, Banchero, and Williams with role players Roach, Griffin, John, and (situationally) Baker, that's a helluva team. Note I define "core" by being nearly indispensable.
    I'll be a little surprised if Griffin isn't core by February, unless there are more health issues for him.

Has anyone seen posts on the NOVA BOARDS?
    How did their fans describe the scrimmage?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'll be a little surprised if Griffin isn't core by February, unless there are more health issues for him.
    With Griffin, I can see any direction. He could be like Winslow with a better shot or...he could be like freshman Wendell Moore. The range is there.

I too hope he's core. But four core players is a lot. The 2015 team had four core players (Tyus, Jah, Winslow, Cook). The 2010 team had 5 (the starting five. Lance was definitely core. He wasn't much of a scorer, but my goodness his defense was incredible).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dopeshop View Post
    Has anyone seen posts on the NOVA BOARDS?
    How did their fans describe the scrimmage?
    I sent the YouTube clip to a friend who is a Nova fan/alum and he said the clip was on the Nova boards and they were analyzing like it was the Zapruder film.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    With Griffin, I can see any direction. He could be like Winslow with a better shot or...he could be like freshman Wendell Moore. The range is there.

I too hope he's core. But four core players is a lot. The 2015 team had four core players (Tyus, Jah, Winslow, Cook). The 2010 team had 5 (the starting five. Lance was definitely core. He wasn't much of a scorer, but my goodness his defense was incredible).
    I would consider freshman Wendell Moore, given this team's offensive versatility, a core player if he was on this year's team. Remember that Moore was miscast in a larger offensive role that year on a team that was light on scoring threats other than Carey. This year, "freshman Moore" would be the 4th or 5th option offensively most of the time he is on the floor. And so he would be there for primarily defensive versatility.

So I think if healthy even the floor for Griffin is part of the core. If healthy AND his offense develops... well, yeah.