Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Duke-Villanova, the (not so) secret scrimmage Post Game Thread

It apparently started a couple hours ago. Taking place at the Washington Wizards practice facility in Southeast Washington.

We should start to get some leaks fairly soon... we will likely hear who won and who played well. We may get some very basic stats (like leading scorers or if someone had a big game rebounding or blocking shots). This is a big test for our Blue Devils as they prep for the regular season. Villanova is really good (top 5ish in most preseason polls) and has an experienced roster (the return four starters, three of whom are grad students). I'll be quite pleased if Duke hangs with them at this super early point in the season. I wish I could watch as it would be fun to watch our guards try to handle Collin Gillespie, the Big East preseason player of the year.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

This was posted on the Villanova site

“Duke's discipline, execution and size were really impressive. We thank Coach K and Duke for putting this together."

Unverified Twitter speculation says Paolo was dominant 29pts 12reb.

Awaiting more verifiable info.
    Last edited by wilko; 10-23-2021 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Unverified Twitter speculation says Paulo was dominant
    Awaiting more info.
    Unverified twitter speculation.

Be still, my beating heart.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    F7431569-48BF-4FF1-8087-9DE373B3F979.jpg

Let the baseless Twitter over analysis begin!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Unverified twitter speculation.

Be still, my beating heart.
    😂😂 I only mention it because it’s the only news I’ve seen. The cynic in me says if Duke stunk it up, people would already be reporting it.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Again, from my understanding press of any sort is not allowed at these games. So anything that comes out will likely be from some sort of team source, who will likely be quite biased. I also believe the NCAA has rules about these scrimmages that punish the teams if too much info comes out… they’re supposed to be legitimately “closed door”.

TL;DR: Don’t expect too much reliable info to come from this scrimmage.

^ hey, it's the internet, so everyone can feel free to make stuff up.

So stuff is leaking to journalists from “sources”. Here’s Jeff Goodman (who, despite our collective fury last year, ended up being ahead of the curve on Jalen FWIW):

EED84B91-2BA3-43FF-8152-C99F31C8145E.jpg

Zion O | #SI6HTS
    @DukeNBA
    Being told by multiple people that Duke beat Villanova today.

Paolo Banchero: 29 points 12 rebounds
    2:23 PM · Oct 23, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
    Retweets
    Quote Tweets
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Not surprised that Paolo would have a dominant performance against this Villanova team. For all the talk of Villanova's experience, Duke's frontcourt is much bigger, longer, and more experienced.

With the loss of Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree, Nova is going to rely heavily on a pair of sophomores and a freshman to play up front. Eric Dixon is an undersized but bigger center that can step out and hit the jumper (although not clear how effectively at this point). He played sparingly as a freshman last season. Trey Patterson is more a big wing being converted into a stretch 4 and played almost no minutes as a freshman last season. They have a 4* C off the bench, too, in Nnanna Njoku, although I can't say that I know a whole lot about him. None of those three have played as many minutes as Mark Williams and all 3 top out at about 6'9" in height.

What intrigues me is the alleged performance of Wendell Moore and Trevor Keels. If Duke is getting good production from those 2, to go along with the frontcourt, then this team has a very high ceiling.

We can't really take much from this vague information. At the end of the day, we'll get to see the team in action next Sunday against Winston-Salem State. Can't wait to see them play another team for 40 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Not surprised that Paolo would have a dominant performance against this Villanova team. For all the talk of Villanova's experience, Duke's frontcourt is much bigger, longer, and more experienced.

With the loss of Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree, Nova is going to rely heavily on a pair of sophomores and a freshman to play up front. Eric Dixon is an undersized but bigger center that can step out and hit the jumper (although not clear how effectively at this point). He played sparingly as a freshman last season. Trey Patterson is more a big wing being converted into a stretch 4 and played almost no minutes as a freshman last season. They have a 4* C off the bench, too, in Nnanna Njoku, although I can't say that I know a whole lot about him. None of those three have played as many minutes as Mark Williams and all 3 top out at about 6'9" in height.

What intrigues me is the alleged performance of Wendell Moore and Trevor Keels. If Duke is getting good production from those 2, to go along with the frontcourt, then this team has a very high ceiling.

We can't really take much from this vague information. At the end of the day, we'll get to see the team in action next Sunday against Winston-Salem State. Can't wait to see them play another team for 40 minutes.
    The other thing is -- Coach K's teams take everything seriously -- even pre-season scrimmages.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I am not part of the Twitterverse, and none of the info in this thread has brought up Keels. Is there some tweet or something about Keels?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I am not part of the Twitterverse, and none of the info in this thread has brought up Keels. Is there some tweet or something about Keels?
    Word on the street is Keels had 18 and 4-7 from 3. If the twitters are to be believed. Moore 16 and 9.

The game is SATURDAY.

Explanation

"Undersized but bigger" = relatively short and relatively wide?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Word on the street is Keels had 18 and 4-7 from 3. If the twitters are to be believed. Moore 16 and 9.
    i like those words

Duke Basketball is supposedly showing highlights on Youtube at 7:00 PM Eastern.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby91 View Post
    Duke Basketball is supposedly showing highlights on Youtube at 7:00 PM Eastern.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSBgjnq3aQs

-jk

Youtube