Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

NBA’s 75 greatest players of all time

For the 75th anniversary of the NBA, they have released the 75 greatest players in the league’s history. I know I’m biased, but I think Grant Hill is the biggest snub. I think he deserves to be there more than at least 4 players with Reggie Miller being the easiest target.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-complete-list

https://www.landofbasketball.com/pla...gie_miller.htm

I love Grant, but Reggie Miller had some of the seminal moments in NBA playoff history. Miller Time deserved it more than Grant

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    I love Grant, but Reggie Miller had some of the seminal moments in NBA playoff history. Miller Time deserved it more than Grant
    Grant was all NBA 5 times to Reggie’s 3. Grant has a first team all NBA to Reggie’s none. Grant also did a lot more than score.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    For the 75th anniversary of the NBA, they have released the 75 greatest players in the league’s history. I know I’m biased, but I think Grant Hill is the biggest snub. I think he deserves to be there more than at least 4 players with Reggie Miller being the easiest target.

I agree that Grant should’ve made the list. Of course I was also shocked that George Gervin didn’t make the list. So who am I to judge?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Of course I was also shocked that George Gervin didn’t make the list. So who am I to judge?
    George Gervin IS on the list. If justice is blind, you should totally be a judge.

You all complaining about Grant Hill are 25 years too late. I remember a SportsCenter when Dan Patrick commented on the NBA 50 list. Eternal sporks for whoever can find a clip, but it went something like this:

DAN PATRICK: "They say that Shaquille O'Neal made the NBA 50 list based on potential, and to that I say, why not Grant Hill?"

KEITH OLBERMANN (off camera): "Yeah!"

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post

Grant Hill might be my favorite basketball player ever. But.

Reggie Miller is 18th in career win shares. 18th. Ahead of Kobe Bryant, Olajuwon, Larry Bird. 18th. He’s 22nd in career VORP, ahead of Pippen, Wade, Nash…

Would Grant Hill have had a better career than Miller if he stayed healthy? I think so. But Reggie Miller was a truly great player. No way he’s one of the first four cuts, much less the first.

Ben Taylor’s analysis of Reggie Miller is worth a read. In 2018, Taylor ranked Miller the 29th best player ever. Totally subjectively that feels a little high to me, but he’s comfortably top 75.

To be clear, no one on the NBA 50 list (in blue) was dropped. There was a tie, so 26 names (in red) were added. Most of the newcomers arrived in the league on or after the 50th anniversary year of 1996, but there are a few older selections: Bob McAdoo (started pro career in 1970), Dominique Wilkins (1982), Dennis Rodman (1986), Reggie Miller (1987), Gary Payton (1990), Jason Kidd (1994), and Kevin Garnett (1995).

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Ray Allen
    Giannis Antetokounmpo
    Carmelo Anthony

Nate Archibald
    Paul Arizin
    Charles Barkley
    Rick Barry
    Elgin Baylor
    Dave Bing
    Larry Bird
    Kobe Bryant
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Bob Cousy
    Dave Cowens
    Billy Cunningham
    Stephen Curry
    Anthony Davis

Dave DeBusschere
    Clyde Drexler
    Tim Duncan
    Kevin Durant

Julius Erving
    Patrick Ewing
    Walt Frazier
    Kevin Garnett
    George Gervin
    Hal Greer
    James Harden
    John Havlicek
    Elvin Hayes
    Allen Iverson
    LeBron James

Magic Johnson
    Sam Jones
    Michael Jordan
    Jason Kidd
    Kawhi Leonard
    Damian Lillard

Jerry Lucas
    Karl Malone
    Moses Malone
    Pete Maravich
    Bob McAdoo
    Kevin McHale
    George Mikan
    Reggie Miller
    Earl Monroe
    Steve Nash
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Robert Parish
    Chris Paul
    Gary Payton

Bob Pettit
    Paul Pierce
    Scottie Pippen
    Willis Reed
    Oscar Robertson
    David Robinson
    Dennis Rodman
    Bill Russell
    Dolph Schayes
    Bill Sharman
    John Stockton
    Isiah Thomas
    Nate Thurmond
    Wes Unseld
    Dwyane Wade
    Bill Walton
    Jerry West
    Russell Westbrook
    Lenny Wilkens
    Dominique Wilkins
    James Worthy

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    George Gervin IS on the list. If justice is blind, you should totally be a judge.
    Oh my! Not sure how I missed that. Good to know the Iceman made the list. You know the one thing George could do, is he could finger roll.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    To be clear, no one on the NBA 50 list (in blue) was dropped. There was a tie, so 26 names (in red) were added. Most of the newcomers arrived in the league on or after the 50th anniversary year of 1996, but there are a few older selections: Bob McAdoo (started pro career in 1970), Dominique Wilkins (1982), Dennis Rodman (1986), Reggie Miller (1987), Gary Payton (1990), Jason Kidd (1994), and Kevin Garnett (1995).

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Ray Allen
    Giannis Antetokounmpo
    Carmelo Anthony

Nate Archibald
    Paul Arizin
    Charles Barkley
    Rick Barry
    Elgin Baylor
    Dave Bing
    Larry Bird
    Kobe Bryant
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Bob Cousy
    Dave Cowens
    Billy Cunningham
    Stephen Curry
    Anthony Davis

Dave DeBusschere
    Clyde Drexler
    Tim Duncan
    Kevin Durant

Julius Erving
    Patrick Ewing
    Walt Frazier
    Kevin Garnett
    George Gervin
    Hal Greer
    James Harden
    John Havlicek
    Elvin Hayes
    Allen Iverson
    LeBron James

Magic Johnson
    Sam Jones
    Michael Jordan
    Jason Kidd
    Kawhi Leonard
    Damian Lillard

Jerry Lucas
    Karl Malone
    Moses Malone
    Pete Maravich
    Bob McAdoo
    Kevin McHale
    George Mikan
    Reggie Miller
    Earl Monroe
    Steve Nash
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Robert Parish
    Chris Paul
    Gary Payton

Bob Pettit
    Paul Pierce
    Scottie Pippen
    Willis Reed
    Oscar Robertson
    David Robinson
    Dennis Rodman
    Bill Russell
    Dolph Schayes
    Bill Sharman
    John Stockton
    Isiah Thomas
    Nate Thurmond
    Wes Unseld
    Dwyane Wade
    Bill Walton
    Jerry West
    Russell Westbrook
    Lenny Wilkens
    Dominique Wilkins
    James Worthy
    I got into a (virtual) disagreement about the validity of Rodman. The young whippersnapper was insistent that Rodman was a questionable choice, and went on to list a half dozen stats that were suspect. They suggested that Rodman was getting coattail votes from Jordan and The Last Dance.

My only response was that this kid clearly never watched him play. I've never seen someone dominant a game through almost wholly defense and rebounding. It wad astonishing to watch and almost impossible to describe.

Kids today...

Quote Originally Posted by FellowTraveler View Post
    Grant Hill might be my favorite basketball player ever. But.

Reggie Miller is 18th in career win shares. 18th. Ahead of Kobe Bryant, Olajuwon, Larry Bird. 18th. He’s 22nd in career VORP, ahead of Pippen, Wade, Nash…

Would Grant Hill have had a better career than Miller if he stayed healthy? I think so. But Reggie Miller was a truly great player. No way he’s one of the first four cuts, much less the first.

Ben Taylor’s analysis of Reggie Miller is worth a read. In 2018, Taylor ranked Miller the 29th best player ever. Totally subjectively that feels a little high to me, but he’s comfortably top 75.
    That’s the key for me about Grant…HAD HE STAYED HEALTHY

His injuries limited him and he never produced anything magical in the post season

Miller will forever be remembered for his clutch play, his 3 point shooting and his playoff performances

I would not put Hill in over Miller. I WOULD put Hill in over Monroe, DeBusschere, and Wilkens. Hill outperformed each of those three in win shares, win shares/48 min, and All-NBA appearances. I would also gladly entertain the argument that he should be in over Maravich and Walton (moreso over Maravich).

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    It feels a little early to include the Freak, Davis, and Lillard on this list. Looks like they'll get there, but are if they have a Grant-like injury that derails their careers, have they earned their way on yet? Giannis's year last year might be what he needed to say "yes", but I'm not sure. And I'm conflicted about Westbrook and Harden. Both have elite skills, but both are problematic teammates that have struggled to be parts of winning teams. Harden is kind of an unstoppable force on offense. Westbrook is the master of the triple double, but is that enough? Again, I'm not sure.

Other folks here who are more avid NBA watchers may have more informed opinions than mine...
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    It feels a little early to include the Freak, Davis, and Lillard on this list. Looks like they'll get there, but are if they have a Grant-like injury that derails their careers, have they earned their way on yet? Giannis's year last year might be what he needed to say "yes", but I'm not sure. And I'm conflicted about Westbrook and Harden. Both have elite skills, but both are problematic teammates that have struggled to be parts of winning teams. Harden is kind of an unstoppable force on offense. Westbrook is the master of the triple double, but is that enough? Again, I'm not sure.

Other folks here who are more avid NBA watchers may have more informed opinions than mine...
    Guess it depends on the definition of greatest. Most talented or best career?

Grant should be on the list, but it pains me to think about what he could have been if he stayed healthy. Top 20 wouldn't have been out of the question in my opinion. Sometimes I go to YouTube and watch his first few years with the Pistons. Jaw dropping stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post

The Freak has 2 MVPs, 5 All-NBA appearances, and a Finals MVP. He is a no-doubter at this point, and frankly it isn’t close.

Westbrook has an MVP, 2 scoring titles, 3 assists titles, and NINE All-NBA honors. He is top-40 all-time in points and top-20 in assists. He is also a no-doubter.

Harden has an MVP, seven All-NBA honors (6 of them 1st team), 3 scoring titles, an assist title, is top-40 in scoring and top-50 in assists. Also a no-brainer.

Anthony Davis has 4 1st team all-nba honors, which is better than many of the guys on the list.

Lillard has 6 all-nba honors. He is the one active guy who feels borderline. I think he definitely earns it by career end, but maybe not yet. Still, those 6 all-nba honors are better than some of the older guys on the list.

My vote for questionable inclusion is Walton. Just 10 seasons, just 13 PPG, only two all star games...

But man, when he was on he was smokin' hot

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Westbrook has an MVP, 2 scoring titles, 3 assists titles, and NINE All-NBA honors. He is top-40 all-time in points and top-20 in assists. He is also a no-doubter.
    I don’t like Westbrook as a basketball player. I don’t think he’s ever been a team player and has always just been hunting stats. I think he got a reputation as being a great player way back when and the label just stuck, so he kept getting voted to All-NBA teams even though I don’t think he deserved it.

One can have impressive-looking stats while being a team-oriented player and one can also have impressive-looking stats while being a selfish, individual player. Westbrook is the latter. He’s a terrible jump shooter and a terrible 3-pt shooter. In fact he’s perhaps the worst three-point shooter of all time for a player who takes as many of them as he does. And he’s not a particularly good passer even though he’s been playing PG his entire career. He doesn’t get his teammates involved and he doesn’t seem to care all that much whether his team wins or loses. If he did he wouldn’t play the way he does. Other than that he’s awesome, 😉
    Last edited by Steven43; 10-23-2021 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The Freak has 2 MVPs, 5 All-NBA appearances, and a Finals MVP. He is a no-doubter at this point, and frankly it isn’t close.

Harden has an MVP, seven All-NBA honors (6 of them 1st team), 3 scoring titles, an assist title, is top-40 in scoring and top-50 in assists. Also a no-brainer.

Anthony Davis has 4 1st team all-nba honors, which is better than many of the guys on the list.

Lillard has 6 all-nba honors. He is the one active guy who feels borderline. I think he definitely earns it by career end, but maybe not yet. Still, those 6 all-nba honors are better than some of the older guys on the list.

It would be interesting to contrast Westbrook to Russell and Walton. Did Russell score much? And Walton did not score much. But did they win and make everyone better? Did the team win because of them? Did Russ make his team better - did they not win in spite of him or did he not bring the necessary tools to win?

I have no strong view here and am just throwing out the question. Is Russ a stat hoarder or was he really great? I tend to think he will not mesh well on the Lakers as his poor shooting will prove to be a real Achilles heel. But regardless, just looking at his stats he does look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    My vote for questionable inclusion is Walton. Just 10 seasons, just 13 PPG, only two all star games...

But man, when he was on he was smokin' hot
    I don’t know, that might be a little high for Walton.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    It would be interesting to contrast Westbrook to Russell and Walton. Did Russell score much? And Walton did not score much. But did they win and make everyone better? Did the team win because of them? Did Russ make his team better - did they not win in spite of him or did he not bring the necessary tools to win?

I have no strong view here and am just throwing out the question. Is Russ a stat hoarder or was he really great? I tend to think he will not mesh well on the Lakers as his poor shooting will prove to be a real Achilles heel. But regardless, just looking at his stats he does look great.
    I think the truly great players not only have a wide variety of elite skills, but also have a very positive competitive attitude and are always looking to find ways to support their teammates and help them play to their full potential. The truly great players do the little things that don’t show up on a stat sheet and care about winning above all else, while not really being concerned with their stats, particularly while the game is taking place.

Westbrook at his peak had the elite skills of overall athleticism, quickness, jumping ability, strength, toughness, agility, and determination. Nobody was more electrifying while knifing through defenders at a dizzying speed and then soaring way above taller players to throw the ball down with tremendous force. He was an athletic marvel and I loved watching him take it to the basket. Few have ever done it better.

Walton’s skills were quite different than those of Westbrook. At his peak he was a very mobile big man who could rebound at an extremely high level on both ends of the floor. He was an intimating presence on defense who could block and alter shots with the best of them. He hustled on both ends and had a great zeal for the game. He was a leader who set the tone for his teammates to look up to and follow. He had a seemingly endless variety of offensive moves and could score from just about any angle, and was a master at using the glass. All that being said, perhaps his greatest single attribute was his passing ability, which was legendary. Until Larry Bird and Magic Johnson came along there had probably never been a better passer 6’9” or above.

I feel kind of bad for denigrating Westbrook in an earlier post. At his best he was a very good player. I just wish he had learned to shoot less, pass more (and more effectively), and never have gotten caught up in this silly triple-double nonsense. I think his desire to compile stats really contributed to his downfall as an overall player.