Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Also without the Heaps hops. Heaps was a phenomenal athlete. Savarino is not in the same stratosphere.
    Yeah I meant more from expected role on the team. Heaps was a fantastic athlete.

Yeah, completely agree. Savarino is not realistically playing meaningful minutes this year. And if he did play meaningful minutes, that's a really bad omen for the season. Things would have to go REALLY, REALLY wrong for Savarino to see the court in meaningful minutes.
    Or a really good omen- 50 point blowouts would be very good for my blood pressure

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Or a really good omen- 50 point blowouts would be very good for my blood pressure
    Right, but those would then not be "meaningful" minutes (I'm using that term to define minutes played in still-competitive situations).

Agreed with all that Wendell easily had the best plays/highlights in this footage. This video could have been appropriate titled "Wendell Moore DOMINATES practice!"

However, my favorite was highlight was at 3:25. Mark Williams snatch blocking Stanley Borden on a post hook attempt. Get that weak &^$& outta here

Granted, it looks like the blue team were mostly walk-ons/guys who don't figure to get many minutes in the rotation, so all of this is more or less worthless for any real prognostication. Just hoping Wendell keeps this going all season long. We need this to be real if we're going to contend for a title.
    Last edited by kAzE; 10-21-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Right, but those would then not be "meaningful" minutes (I'm using that term to define minutes played in still-competitive situations).
    meaningful to me

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Agreed with all that Wendell easily had the best plays/highlights in this footage. This video could have been appropriate titled "Wendell Moore DOMINATES practice!"

However, my favorite was highlight was at 3:25. Mark Williams snatch blocking Stanley Borden on a post hook attempt. Get that weak &^$& outta here

Granted, it looks like the blue team were mostly walk-ons/guys who don't figure to get many minutes in the rotation, so all of this is more or less worthless for any real prognostication. Just hoping Wendell keeps this going all season long. We need this to be real if we're going to contend for a title.
    I think the Turkish word for &^$& is bok.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Oddly specific. What does that have to do with the price of eggs if he scores?
    Just a pet peeve of mine because I've seen shots blocked because some players will not use their off hand around the basket especially when the defender isn't in a good position to block the shot if said player uses their off hand. Like I said, just my pet peeve. If Paolo is strong enough to finish and not get the shot blocked, I don't care if he uses his knee.

GoDuke!

Can,t watch these practice videos. Rooting for 10 players on the court at the same time it’s just too much for me. Can’t wait for the season to begin

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Just a pet peeve of mine because I've seen shots blocked because some players will not use their off hand around the basket especially when the defender isn't in a good position to block the shot if said player uses their off hand. Like I said, just my pet peeve. If Paolo is strong enough to finish and not get the shot blocked, I don't care if he uses his knee.

GoDuke!
    Fair point. Just needed context.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    meaningful to me
    "Meaningful minutes" is a term invented here that is mostly without merit. More later.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    "Meaningful minutes" is a term invented here that is mostly without merit. More later.
    You could have said that the term wasn't meaningful. I would have given bonus points.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Way, way deep down . . . in his heart-of-hearts . . . Jeff McInnis agrees.
    Jay Heaps was the same year as me at Duke. I loved yelling "Heaps" every time he went up for a header during soccer games. And it was pretty amazing that he did the two sport thing and played meaningful basketball minutes at the end of the 96 season when injuries ravaged the roster.

But I think he missed might have missed his true athletic calling as a hockey player. As you point out Jeff McInnis likely agrees and recalls that hip check in the deep reaches of his soul
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Jay Heaps was the same year as me at Duke. I loved yelling "Heaps" every time he went up for a header during soccer games. And it was pretty amazing that he did the two sport thing and played meaningful basketball minutes at the end of the 96 season when injuries ravaged the roster.

But I think he missed might have missed his true athletic calling as a hockey player. As you point out Jeff McInnis likely agrees and recalls that hip check in the deep reaches of his soul
    Heaps & Randolph Childress still live rent-free in McInnis’s head. To this day.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I'm still fascinated to see how our rotation will look once we're playing against another opponent. We have three big men who are among our best seven players and a coach who historically prefers to only play one. It seems reasonable to assume that one of Williams and John will be on the floor at all times, but never both. Roach is our only "true" point guard on the roster, but Moore and Keels both seem to handle the ball more than him in all of the practices/scrimmages.

I'm optimistic that our defense and rebounding will be solid. Outside shooting is still a question mark. Hoping that Baker can establish himself and take advantage of this opportunity with Griffin being out.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I'm still fascinated to see how our rotation will look once we're playing against another opponent. We have three big men who are among our best seven players and a coach who historically prefers to only play one. It seems reasonable to assume that one of Williams and John will be on the floor at all times, but never both. Roach is our only "true" point guard on the roster, but Moore and Keels both seem to handle the ball more than him in all of the practices/scrimmages.

I'm optimistic that our defense and rebounding will be solid. Outside shooting is still a question mark. Hoping that Baker can establish himself and take advantage of this opportunity with Griffin being out.
    Yes- the starting and non starting teams are not evenly matched. We will not know much until they play a real game. I saw a lot of passing in the scrimmage. I hope that carries over.

A few observations

Wendell: awesome. I love the Nolan-sophomore-to-junior jump reference. Really hope it happens. He just looked like a true leader out there. He is the player I'm most excited to see this season.
    Paolo: Disagree that he looked disengaged. This just may be how he plays; always under control. It is technically gifted, highly cerebral, and has just enough athleticism to be highly elite. Yes; he's not AD in terms of athleticism, but he can hold his ground
    Williams: His defensive presence is so obvious. I don't care if he doesn't average double digits in points. I wanna see at least 4 blocks a game!
    Blakes: I am warming up to him. He isn't afraid to shoot, which is a good thing. I just hope he has enough consistency in his shot that he needs to be guarded.
    Roach: He didn't make a shot. In a scrimmage with 5 true starters, 2 situational players, and 3 scrubs. Really? His passing was solid, but he needs to be able to shoot! I have a funny feeling Roach will be the winner of this year's edition of "Most Polarizing Duke Player"
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Wendell: awesome. I love the Nolan-sophomore-to-junior jump reference. Really hope it happens. He just looked like a true leader out there. He is the player I'm most excited to see this season.
    Paolo: Disagree that he looked disengaged. This just may be how he plays; always under control. It is technically gifted, highly cerebral, and has just enough athleticism to be highly elite. Yes; he's not AD in terms of athleticism, but he can hold his ground
    Williams: His defensive presence is so obvious. I don't care if he doesn't average double digits in points. I wanna see at least 4 blocks a game!
    Blakes: I am warming up to him. He isn't afraid to shoot, which is a good thing. I just hope he has enough consistency in his shot that he needs to be guarded.
    Roach: He didn't make a shot. In a scrimmage with 5 true starters, 2 situational players, and 3 scrubs. Really? His passing was solid, but he needs to be able to shoot! I have a funny feeling Roach will be the winner of this year's edition of "Most Polarizing Duke Player"
    Good points and I especially agree with the one on Paolo. I think when Duke plays someone other than themselves, the energy level and excitement level will pick up for Mr. Banchero. As for Roach, in the first practice sessions we saw, it looked like Roach was making a lot of outside shots. He looked confident and at ease when he pulled the trigger. I hope he's that same kind of player when the regular season begins.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Good observations, all. I'm also liking Blakes. My favorite play of the video was Blakes taking the ball into the body of Williams, scoring and getting the foul (3:41 mark). He plays fearlessly and may develop into a very good player down the road. I'm expecting him to get a few minutes in games early in the year. After we get to conference, we'll see.

Savarino averaged 7 points and 3 assists per game as a senior in HS. If he ever plays meaningful minutes, Duke basketball will have fallen very far.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Savarino averaged 7 points and 3 assists per game as a senior in HS. If he ever plays meaningful minutes, Duke basketball will have fallen very far.
    I agree with you. Therefore, I hope he plays a lot this year.