Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New 5 v 5 footage - 10/19/21

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Wendell Moore seemed to be everywhere, making plays on offense and defense, scoring with confidence.

It is not easy to score on Mark Williams inside. He had some great defensive plays.

Paolo didn't seem to stand out much, but he had a number of finishes in the paint that showed an incredibly soft touch on floaters and short push shots.

Michael Savarino is much more involved than I would have thought. He looks confident with the ball, I hope his able to keep the starters on their toes.

Looks like there is a clear top seven with the starters plus Theo John and Joey Baker. I imagine Griffin joins that group when he's healthy. Means Blakes, Jones, Savarino, Worthington, Borden and Hubbard probably won't see too much of the court (as expected).

Wendell has just looked so much more athletic than his first two years. He's going to have that Nolan Smith-sophomore-to-junior-year kind of improvement.

I continue to enjoy watching the progression of Mark Williams. So glad he chose to come back this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post
    Wendell has just looked so much more athletic than his first two years. He's going to have that Nolan Smith-sophomore-to-junior-year kind of improvement.

I continue to enjoy watching the progression of Mark Williams. So glad he chose to come back this year.
    Wendell has definitely shed some weight and reshaped his body. He looks much quicker and more explosive, which bodes well on both ends. I liked seeing how active he and Paolo were defensively, too. The latter showed some of the anticipation and reaction that Sam Vecenie referenced in his Mock Draft writeup on Paolo.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Wendell has definitely shed some weight and reshaped his body. He looks much quicker and more explosive, which bodes well on both ends. I liked seeing how active he and Paolo were defensively, too. The latter showed some of the anticipation and reaction that Sam Vecenie referenced in his Mock Draft writeup on Paolo.
    I guess he has been doing the Bojangles sponsorship without actually eating there.

Already loving the Roach to Williams connection on the lob. This is my favorite play so far from the scrimmages/CTC. Jeremy penetrates under control, if the big men converge whatsoever, soft high lob to Big Mark for the alley-oop dunk. If Jeremy can finish some of those on his own at the rim, it really keeps the defense off balance. Will he lay it in, or will he lob? You gotta respect both. If Jeremy decides not to lob, then Mark is already there in good rebounding position. They can also run it off of a pick n roll. I don't think too many teams are going to have the size/talent to defend that play, and it's a very high-percentage shot either way. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Wendell Moore seemed to be everywhere, making plays on offense and defense, scoring with confidence.

It is not easy to score on Mark Williams inside. He had some great defensive plays.

Paolo didn't seem to stand out much, but he had a number of finishes in the paint that showed an incredibly soft touch on floaters and short push shots.

Michael Savarino is much more involved than I would have thought. He looks confident with the ball, I hope his able to keep the starters on their toes.

Looks like there is a clear top seven with the starters plus Theo John and Joey Baker. I imagine Griffin joins that group when he's healthy. Means Blakes, Jones, Savarino, Worthington, Borden and Hubbard probably won't see too much of the court (as expected).
    Did not see Paolo use his left hand around the basket and he didn't shoot from the perimeter either.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Did not see Paolo use his left hand around the basket and he didn't shoot from the perimeter either.

GoDuke!
    Oddly specific. What does that have to do with the price of eggs if he scores?

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Oddly specific. What does that have to do with the price of eggs if he scores?
    Just a pet peeve of mine because I've seen shots blocked because some players will not use their off hand around the basket especially when the defender isn't in a good position to block the shot if said player uses their off hand. Like I said, just my pet peeve. If Paolo is strong enough to finish and not get the shot blocked, I don't care if he uses his knee.

GoDuke!

Can,t watch these practice videos. Rooting for 10 players on the court at the same time it’s just too much for me. Can’t wait for the season to begin

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Just a pet peeve of mine because I've seen shots blocked because some players will not use their off hand around the basket especially when the defender isn't in a good position to block the shot if said player uses their off hand. Like I said, just my pet peeve. If Paolo is strong enough to finish and not get the shot blocked, I don't care if he uses his knee.

GoDuke!
    Fair point. Just needed context.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    From what I've seen of all the videos so far, Savarino either is the next JJ Redick or has a good connection with the film editor!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    From what I've seen of all the videos so far, Savarino either is the next JJ Redick or has a good connection with the film editor!
    at least they stopped trying to pass these off as "uncut" or "unedited" as they were over the past year. Almost as bad as Subway selling 10" subs as "foot-long"
    April 1

Wendell looks great. His block on Baker -- most impressive. Savarino might earn some PT (?). William's 'oop was sick, and he looks really agile for a big guy. Paolo looked slightly frustrated with some passes that didn't get to him, but had a good And 1 with a choice word for punctuation. Can't wait to see these guys in an official game. Go Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    Wendell looks great. His block on Baker -- most impressive. Savarino might earn some PT (?). William's 'oop was sick, and he looks really agile for a big guy. Paolo looked slightly frustrated with some passes that didn't get to him, but had a good And 1 with a choice word for punctuation. Can't wait to see these guys in an official game. Go Duke.
    Peak DBR

I love him as much as the next guy, but there is effectively no world where he is earning playing time outside of garbage time or extreme foul trouble.

Everybody looks good in heavily edited team scrimmage footage.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Peak DBR

I love him as much as the next guy, but there is effectively no world where he is earning playing time outside of garbage time or extreme foul trouble.

Everybody looks good in heavily edited team scrimmage footage.
    Yeah, completely agree. Savarino is not realistically playing meaningful minutes this year. And if he did play meaningful minutes, that's a really bad omen for the season. Things would have to go REALLY, REALLY wrong for Savarino to see the court in meaningful minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, completely agree. Savarino is not realistically playing meaningful minutes this year. And if he did play meaningful minutes, that's a really bad omen for the season. Things would have to go REALLY, REALLY wrong for Savarino to see the court in meaningful minutes.
    Salvarino = Jay Heaps without the soccer skills

I am strongly rooting against that scenario…

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Salvarino = Jay Heaps without the soccer skills

I am strongly rooting against that scenario…
    Also without the Heaps hops. Heaps was a phenomenal athlete. Savarino is not in the same stratosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Heaps was a phenomenal athlete.
    Way, way deep down . . . in his heart-of-hearts . . . Jeff McInnis agrees.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Way, way deep down . . . in his heart-of-hearts . . . Jeff McInnis agrees.
    Jay Heaps was the same year as me at Duke. I loved yelling "Heaps" every time he went up for a header during soccer games. And it was pretty amazing that he did the two sport thing and played meaningful basketball minutes at the end of the 96 season when injuries ravaged the roster.

But I think he missed might have missed his true athletic calling as a hockey player. As you point out Jeff McInnis likely agrees and recalls that hip check in the deep reaches of his soul
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook