Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Dickie V started at ESPN in January 1980.
    Coach K started at Duke in March 1980.

The two of them have probably done the most for the Valvano Foundation (aside from Mr. Valvano, himself), and if you're only assessing for brand awareness, the two have probably done the most for Duke basketball.

Okay, that last comment is arguable, and this isn't the time for conflict, but I've always appreciated his over-the-top enthusiasm for the sport and for our team--our players and coaches made the program special, but nobody announces our uniqueness more often and more loudly than Dick. I'm sure it gets old to hear his whole schtick about 1500 SAT's and future neurosurgeons, but it also gets fans...

As he once said, "I have been accused of singing the praises of Duke and singing the praises of North Carolina, and I will never apologize for that. If I am singing the praises of a program that has 14 wins a year, then you have a right to complain. But when I am talking about a team and program that year after year is winning games, graduating players, in the challenge for a national championship, I have no problem with that whatsoever."

I'll excuse his inclusion of Carolina by saying he said it a decade ago.

Good luck going forward, Mr. Vitale...

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Dickie V started at ESPN in January 1980.
    Coach K started at Duke in March 1980.

The two of them have probably done the most for the Valvano Foundation (aside from Mr. Valvano, himself), and if you're only assessing for brand awareness, the two have probably done the most for Duke basketball.

Okay, that last comment is arguable, and this isn't the time for conflict, but I've always appreciated his over-the-top enthusiasm for the sport and for our team--our players and coaches made the program special, but nobody announces our uniqueness more often and more loudly than Dick. I'm sure it gets old to hear his whole schtick about 1500 SAT's and future neurosurgeons, but it also gets fans...

As he once said, "I have been accused of singing the praises of Duke and singing the praises of North Carolina, and I will never apologize for that. If I am singing the praises of a program that has 14 wins a year, then you have a right to complain. But when I am talking about a team and program that year after year is winning games, graduating players, in the challenge for a national championship, I have no problem with that whatsoever."

I'll excuse his inclusion of Carolina by saying he said it a decade ago.

Good luck going forward, Mr. Vitale...
    I don't really enjoy his game broadcasts, because they're all the same...he rarely actually comments on the game he's doing. However, his enthusiasm has done a LOT for college hoops and a lot for Duke. I remember hearing him - I think in his and K's first year...doing a Duke game, I think we were playing Holy Cross...and he was already very familiar with Coach K and already very high on him.That's not true of most announcers at that time....by a long shot. I've always appreciated that. Godspeed Dickie V.

Another fan pulling for Dick Vitale. I agree with the other posts, he seems like the real deal in his charitable efforts. Yeah, his broadcasts may have become a bit, well, lacking in analysis. But there are few color guys that have his enthusiasm.

I bought his book about the Mount Rushmore of College Coaches because all the profits go to cancer research. You could ask for a personalized signature, so I did. It came exactly as I requested in about 2 weeks. Sure, it's maybe not his signature. But then again, who's to say? I just appreciate his efforts here. My take is that he really does feel lucky to be where he is, and he's giving back with all he can. One can't say that about that many people in this world.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

I like most posters enjoy Dickie V's enthusiasm and his charitable spirit. He is one of the few analysts that puts college basketball and all sports in perspective. It is a game and we are all lucky to be able to be entertained by it and the case of analysts, coaches and some players make it a vocation.

There are however more important things in life like caring about other folks and doing things to help those in need. Just like the V foundation.

One other comment in regards to kako's bucket list signature. The current standings are 114 to 141 (good guys first) so 27 win difference with 2 wins a year that would be 14 years from now we will have a party.

When I was an undergrad in the early 90s, Dickie V was in the old Gothic Bookshop selling and signing his then latest publication, "Time Out, Baby!"

I wanted to meet him so I sucked up the $15 for the book and enjoyed his interaction with every signer. One rather large kid chided him for not including someone on his diaper dandy list to which Dick replied, "My man, you should be on my all pasta team!" Fat shaming didn't have a name at that point, but coming from Vitale it was somehow endearing. He worked that line, really making quick personal connections with each person. At the time, I wondered how he had the energy, and I don't think he's slowed down much.

We are rooting for you Dick.

I wish to echo what MarkD83 said. Dickie V has long been an enthusiastic ambassador for the game, its players, and coaches. He is kind and friendly. Last I checked, the guy really does his homework, though it may not be so clear through the form of presentation. And talk about a heart.

When I think of groaning over his color commentary - I could defend him or minimize the issue. But this isn't the time for that. Instead, I think of a time when "we" gave something like a halftime pantomime mock trial for an opposing coach (student look-alike stand-in) whose team, player, or program had allegedly crossed the line, or perhaps even found to have. I don't remember and certainly don't care now. Later, said coach ended up stricken with cancer, but before succumbing gave a memorable speech about the importance of laughing, crying, and thinking. By then (if not well before), it was certainly the time to remember this adage:

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Bertrand Russell

Same applies to Dickie V. Best wishes to him, and many thanks for all the energy he brought to calling this great sport.

Dicky V is calling the Gonzaga - UCLA game right now on ESPN. Good to hear his voice again, hope his recovery is going well!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Dicky V is calling the Gonzaga - UCLA game right now on ESPN. Good to hear his voice again, hope his recovery is going well!
    Very emotional to start the game, and justly so! Whatever one may think about his style, I think he has a good heart, and he certainly is passionate.

It is wonderful that he can continue in the face of his health issues. It is a testament to his sincerity. Even with my admiration, I will still exercise my right to use my mute button. 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Very emotional to start the game, and justly so! Whatever one may think about his style, I think he has a good heart, and he certainly is passionate.
    Very emotional. You could see him welling up before he even started talking. His words and emotions absolutely seemed heartfelt and real, perhaps unsurprisingly given the way he has covered college ball for decades.

For him to bounce back from that and almost instantaneously and seamlessly switch to talk hoops was impressive, especially at his age.

Dickie V is not my favorite announcer. But regardless, he's a class act. His passion and emotion are genuine, and I appreciate him for that. Thoughts and prayers as he fights cancer.

- Chillin

Some liked his commentary some didnt but vitale was never negative .even if he was against something oy was never harsh. Really good announcer overall.
    Hope he fights through this.

Will Dickie V be doing the Duke/Gonzaga game ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Will Dickie V be doing the Duke/Gonzaga game ?
    Shulman/Bilas
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Agreed. I bounced over to Gonzaga-UCLA hoping for my season opening dose of Bill Walton bullying the overwhelmed Dave Pasch; glad to see the return of Coach Vitale, and the Zags beatdown of UCLA. It's not Feast Week for me until I get me some Bill Walton bingo; even with moving the Maui Jim games to Vegas, seemed like there were some Conference of Champions games. He was in the stands for Villanova-UCLA.

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Shulman/Bilas
    I vote Shulman / Bilastrator / Walton (it's Feast Week - let's do three in the box!!) gobble, gobble!!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    OMG ALL THE PRAYERS many of u have sent have been answered as DR Brown who heads my cancer TEAM called & said PET SCAN came back that NO CANCER is showing. I feel like a coach playing for the Final 4 has a PTPer hit a shot at buzzer. My MARCH MADNESS starts with a W baby !
    https://twitter.com/DickieV?ref_src=...204837478.html

Good news
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Prayers for Mr. Vitale and his family. Scary news… lymphoma at his age must be tough. Really rooting for the guy and his gigantic personality.

Quote Originally Posted by CatDevil View Post
    Prayers for Mr. Vitale and his family. Scary news… lymphoma at his age must be tough. Really rooting for the guy and his gigantic personality.
    Yes, prayers for Dickie V. He's a good dude.

GoDuke!

Will always have a soft spot for his joy for the game. Continued well wishes.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...al-cord-cancer

In case this has not been mentioned, Dick is also family. Two of his grandsons, the Krug brothers, were on the Duke Men's Tennis team last year. He could be found in the stands. Prayers and blessings to him and his family.