Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Succession Season 3 Discussion

Spoilers obvi.

They did a decent job drawing the battle lines in episode 1. I’m having a hard time reconciling the season 2 Kendall with what we saw in last night’s episode unless he’s manic or using again.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Spoilers obvi.

They did a decent job drawing the battle lines in episode 1. I’m having a hard time reconciling the season 2 Kendall with what we saw in last night’s episode unless he’s manic or using again.
    I disagree. This is what he's been building to for the last two seasons. He was dropped so low at the beginning of season two and had to rebuild his ego.

I'm confused about spoiler protocol. Can we discuss the events of last night's episode in particulars and assume whoever clicks into this thread is up to date?

I absolutely don't want to ruin it for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I disagree. This is what he's been building to for the last two seasons. He was dropped so low at the beginning of season two and had to rebuild his ego.

I'm confused about spoiler protocol. Can we discuss the events of last night's episode in particulars and assume whoever clicks into this thread is up to date?

I absolutely don't want to ruin it for anyone.
    Spoilers are fine here. My thread, my rules.

My issue is he’s acting like old vain and stupid Kendall and I thought he’d learned to play the long game with more discipline. He was nearly manic in the last episode. Wasn’t expecting that.

He *was* manic, not nearly manic.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    He *was* manic, not nearly manic.
    Fair. It’s in keeping with his Season 1 character and certainly hints at continued drug use…

…I guess I didn’t expect him to make such an abrupt about face from what I took to be a genuine fear, depression, subservience to dad and loss of self in season 2 following UK chappaquiddick.

They way Kendall goes guardrail-to-guardrail kind of annoys me, but I think I am resigned to the fact that the show is a fantasy version of reality and these kinds of inconsistencies are to be expected. The kids are all obviously f'ed up because of their upbringing, and Kendall has the added burden of his addiction issues. I guess they are all complete narcissuses as well. But, for Kendall to seem really business savvy sometimes and then other times, like the meeting with Lisa Arthur the lawyer, he seems completely off the reservation, not listening to a word she is saying, and bleating on about tweets and other ephemera. Also, what kind of dirtbag basically invades his ex-wife's home (granted it was his home, too) and invites his current girlfriend over, among other insensitive moves. It just seemed way over the top, but, again, I guess that's what the show is.

Very entertaining watching all the rats scramble for a safe landing spot. No one can feel secure, which is what makes the series so enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    They way Kendall goes guardrail-to-guardrail kind of annoys me, but I think I am resigned to the fact that the show is a fantasy version of reality and these kinds of inconsistencies are to be expected. The kids are all obviously f'ed up because of their upbringing, and Kendall has the added burden of his addiction issues. I guess they are all complete narcissuses as well. But, for Kendall to seem really business savvy sometimes and then other times, like the meeting with Lisa Arthur the lawyer, he seems completely off the reservation, not listening to a word she is saying, and bleating on about tweets and other ephemera. Also, what kind of dirtbag basically invades his ex-wife's home (granted it was his home, too) and invites his current girlfriend over, among other insensitive moves. It just seemed way over the top, but, again, I guess that's what the show is.
    I think the bolded section of your post was actually the working title of this show before they ultimately settled on “Succession”

It seems a very long time ago that I used to enjoy this show. I've made two attempts to watch the new episode and failed to make it through. I think the unabashed sucking up to the old man stopped me in my tracks. Whatever personality quirks the various characters might have previously exhibited to keep me interested have been diluted. It's gonna be a slog to stick with it...

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    It seems a very long time ago that I used to enjoy this show. I've made two attempts to watch the new episode and failed to make it through. I think the unabashed sucking up to the old man stopped me in my tracks. Whatever personality quirks the various characters might have previously exhibited to keep me interested have been diluted. It's gonna be a slog to stick with it...
    For me, personally, no character is even remotely sympathetic. I still find myself rooting for Tom. But that's probably because I am a big fan of Matthew Macfadyen. Dude is versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    For me, personally, no character is even remotely sympathetic. I still find myself rooting for Tom. But that's probably because I am a big fan of Matthew Macfadyen. Dude is versatile.
    Greg is the most likeable person on the show, but he is really just comic relief. His "I'm combing the internet" stuff from the season premiere was hysterical.

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Greg is the most likeable person on the show, but he is really just comic relief. His "I'm combing the internet" stuff from the season premiere was hysterical.

I agree on the comic relief part. If I had to be around someone like Greg IRL? I'd want to punch them in the face probably everyday.

I agree on the comic relief part. If I had to be around someone like Greg IRL? I'd want to punch them in the face probably everyday.
    Is Greg’s dialogue all ad-libed? I can’t imagine someone actually writing out his lines in a script. It’s almost like those SNL skits where Fred Armisen would speak for minutes on end without actually saying anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    The first season I was looking for the good guy/gal. At first they were portraying Siobhan as a likely candidate but that arc didn't materialize. So now I just enjoy the show for the humor, the great acting ensemble and the often great writing. After all Monty Python made no sense and I enjoyed that - so why not Succession?

And Greg would keep showing up to get punched.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    The first season I was looking for the good guy/gal. At first they were portraying Siobhan as a likely candidate but that arc didn't materialize. So now I just enjoy the show for the humor, the great acting ensemble and the often great writing. After all Monty Python made no sense and I enjoyed that - so why not Succession?
    Yes, no reason to look for anyone sympathetic, it's a contest of obsequiousness and dishonesty, which I find quite enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yes, no reason to look for anyone sympathetic, it's a contest of obsequiousness and dishonesty, which I find quite enjoyable.
    Same. I don’t know why we need a good guy/gal to root for. Much more realistic this way.

Same. I don’t know why we need a good guy/gal to root for. Much more realistic this way.

We don't. But then it leaves you in Real Housewives territory. Sometimes I understand the fascination with Real Housewives - no matter how bad things get, at least I'm not those people - but in the end, if there is no rooting interest, if you're just watching horrible people be horrible all the time, what's the point? Real life is messy and often there is no point but nobody really watches television for that! This isn't real life, it's a drama that is supposed to tell a story and stories have to have a reason for existing. The point of Succession might be to see horrible people get their comeuppance or it might be that horrible people succeed in the world and there is not much the little people can do about it or something else entirely, but, in the end, for the show to be considered successful when all is said and done, there does have to be a point. Otherwise, again, it's just Real Housewives. Or Lost.

We don't. But then it leaves you in Real Housewives territory. Sometimes I understand the fascination with Real Housewives - no matter how bad things get, at least I'm not those people - but in the end, if there is no rooting interest, if you're just watching horrible people be horrible all the time, what's the point? Real life is messy and often there is no point but nobody really watches television for that! This isn't real life, it's a drama that is supposed to tell a story and stories have to have a reason for existing. The point of Succession might be to see horrible people get their comeuppance or it might be that horrible people succeed in the world and there is not much the little people can do about it or something else entirely, but, in the end, for the show to be considered successful when all is said and done, there does have to be a point. Otherwise, again, it's just Real Housewives. Or Lost.
    Oh, wow. I think it’s telling a wonderful story and making several pointed points through mostly flawed characters.

Oh, wow. I think it’s telling a wonderful story and making several pointed points through mostly flawed characters.
    And deliciously Machiavellian.