Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RIP Colin Powell

Sad to report.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Sad to report.
    Oh, wow. Consequential figure in our history. Heartbreaking it was COVID related.

Thank you for your service, Mr Secretary.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Oh, wow. Consequential figure in our history. Heartbreaking it was COVID related.

Thank you for your service, Mr Secretary.
    Absolutely agree with your sentiments. Great American

An honorable man and brave American

Makes me proud to be an American knowing men like Mr. Powell served us for many years.

Prayers to his family. Very tragic.

He seemed to be more guided by conscience than by politics. We need more of that.

RIP

Sad to hear.

Prayers for the family. He was a great American.

RIP.

Oh man. Definitely one of those politicians who seemed to be willing to buck trends or whatever to do what he thought he was right.

Apparently he was vaccinated. Very sad that he was trying his hardest to avoid it and still died

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    A sad loss. Among his other list of admirable accomplishments, he, unlike many, was willing to admit mistakes, even saying his briefing the UN about supposed Iraqi weapons of mass destruction...
    "It's a blot... and will always be a part of my record. It was painful. It's painful now,"

Too few people in the public sphere(lest this be considered political I refer to both sides of the aisle)are able to admit they are imperfect, and that was a refreshing thing to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    A sad loss. Among his other list of admirable accomplishments, he, unlike many, was willing to admit mistakes, even saying his briefing the UN about supposed Iraqi weapons of mass destruction...
    "It's a blot... and will always be a part of my record. It was painful. It's painful now,"

Too few people in the public sphere(lest this be considered political I refer to both sides of the aisle)are able to admit they are imperfect, and that was a refreshing thing to hear
    "Humility" doesn't generally work in politics. It's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Oh man. Definitely one of those politicians who seemed to be willing to buck trends or whatever to do what he thought he was right.

Apparently he was vaccinated. Very sad that he was trying his hardest to avoid it and still died
    Unfortunately, his treatments for multiple myeloma severely weakened his immune system and I guess the vaccines couldn't give it enough of a boost. Very sad.

Definitely respected his bucking the trend in politics in admitting mistakes and looking at people as individuals as opposed to blind party support.

Sad news. We need more honorable men and women like General Powell that are willing to step into the political arena and remain honorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Unfortunately, his treatments for multiple myeloma severely weakened his immune system and I guess the vaccines couldn't give it enough of a boost. Very sad.

Definitely respected his bucking the trend in politics in admitting mistakes and looking at people as individuals as opposed to blind party support.
    Ahhh I didn't remember that

Makes me think about my 80 year old, cancer-survivor mom. Vaccinated and boosted, but man, I still worry for her, even if statistically she should be fine

he did some good things....lying to the UN about WOMD was not one of them....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    he did some good things...lying to the UN about WOMD was not one of them...
    I wouldn't call it lying. I would say he was wrong with dire consequences.

I wouldn't call it lying. I would say he was wrong with dire consequences.
    I would call it willful ignoring of readily apparent facts. Still a patriot, one whose life and service to our nation is undoubtedly worthy of celebration by all. Although I suspect the Iraqis who felt the bombs rain down upon their heads for years probably would beg to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I would call it willful ignoring of readily apparent facts. Still a patriot, one whose life and service to our nation is undoubtedly worthy of celebration by all. Although I suspect the Iraqis who felt the bombs rain down upon their heads for years probably would beg to differ.
    It's an absolute stain. It can't be defended and I wont. I would argue that every intelligence service in the world felt like Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. You can make the point that they sought this information from people who fed their already agreed upon narrative. That is fair. You can argue that that was an intelligence failure. I don't think it is fair to argue that it was willful. I simply think it was wrong.

Anyway, may he rest in peace!

Son of Jamaican immigrants, an American Success Story.

Fun fact: He was a geologist (B.S. from CCNY), so you know he was a good guy.

R.I.P.

It's an absolute stain. It can't be defended and I wont. I would argue that every intelligence service in the world felt like Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. You can make the point that they sought this information from people who fed their already agreed upon narrative. That is fair. You can argue that that was an intelligence failure. I don't think it is fair to argue that it was willful. I simply think it was wrong.
    I agree with this perspective. If he wasn't suspicious of the narrative he certainly should have been more curious--and he should have been suspicious. By all appearances he accepted what he was "fed" at face value. That stated I would gladly take 10 more just like him in key positions. True principled leadership is being driven from the institutions of government at the moment it seems, the Colin Powells of the country are a dying breed. I'm sure I'm well over the PPB line so I will stop and apologize in advance. MODS may smite me down with impunity. It is done.