Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Gotta wonder if this is being discussed in the Butters Building as much as it is here.
    I would guess "NO" (but obviously I have no inside information).

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Appreciated by several readers, I’m sure. But once a viewpoint dominates the room, mildly different takes can easily get lost in the shuffle and then why bother offering them up?

Strongly divergent viewpoints still force themselves to attention, but that just invigorates the dominant take.
    In my case, there's a dearth of windmills and no beach from which to shovel against the tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It has certainly engulfed this board.
    Which probably should not be the slightest bit surprising considering this is a site primarily concerned with all things Duke and even loosely Duke-related.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It has certainly engulfed this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Bravo! I believe in free speech. I also believe in ignoring people executing their right to free speech. ESPN talking heads are on the top of my list.
    These two posts are spork-worthy. Brutal, sado-masochistic, Friday the Thirteenth type of sporks. A hearty chuckle was heard throughout northern Durham County.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 10-14-2021 at 06:01 PM. Reason: I just hit "zero", I think I'm ahead of the Countdown.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    These two posts are spork-worthy. Brutal, sado-masochistic, Friday the Thirteenth type of sporks. A hearty chuckle was heard throughout northern Durham County.
    I bet they are laughing pretty hard in Orange County, too.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I don’t really care what Uncle Fester’s sidekick says, but Nolan’s comments probably represent his first act as assistant coach. Seems to me that he’s gotten off on the wrong foot.

We all have the right to express ourselves, but we should remember that we are in the middle of a public health crisis that represents the Civil War + 100,000 deaths. Kylie can say what he wants, but he does not deserve an echo chamber from anyone in the Duke community.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I don’t really care what Uncle Fester’s sidekick says, but Nolan’s comments probably represent his first act as assistant coach. Seems to me that he’s gotten off on the wrong foot.

We all have the right to express ourselves, but we should remember that we are in the middle of a public health crisis that represents the Civil War + 100,000 deaths. Kylie can say what he wants, but he does not deserve an echo chamber from anyone in the Duke community.
    A co-worker (well he works for me) who possesses a BS from Northwestern and a J.D. from Duke (who is also vaccinated) defends those who aren't willing to get the shot. I asked him if he was willing to "defend" the vaccinated as well as the unvaccinated and he said "the vaccinated don't need it." I don't know where this logic comes from but please get me as far away from it as possible. Thanks.

I read this, but the only time I think about Kyrie and his views is when I read this board or see the occasional reference in the press. Why do some people get so exercised about it?

A co-worker (well he works for me) who possesses a BS from Northwestern and a J.D. from Duke (who is also vaccinated) defends those who aren't willing to get the shot. I asked him if he was willing to "defend" the vaccinated as well as the unvaccinated and he said "the vaccinated don't need it." I don't know where this logic comes from but please get me as far away from it as possible. Thanks.
    Wait just a minute now. You’re telling me an attorney is defending the indefensible??

I refuse to believe that. 😜

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I read this, but the only time I think about Kyrie and his views is when I read this board or see the occasional reference in the press. Why do some people get so exercised about it?
    Because you aren’t totally representative of the populace at large.

Irving has millions of followers on Instagram and Twitter. Many are young and impressionable and may be subject to influence by him. So while Irving’s inane rants on Twitter and Instagram don’t reach you (and likely many in your demographic), they do reach literally millions of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Wait just a minute now. You’re telling me an attorney is defending the indefensible??

I refuse to believe that. ��
    Sshhhhhhhhh! Don't let the secret get out...it could turn into a "thing!"
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 10-14-2021 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Alan Dershowitz, may you kindly rot in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post

I refuse to believe that. 😜
    In certain specialties that’s the essential nature of the gig. I know there are plenty of folks out there who would describe what I used to do in similar terms. They would be wrong, but I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    In certain specialties that’s the essential nature of the gig. I know there are plenty of folks out there who would describe what I used to do in similar terms. They would be wrong, but I get it.
    "used to do" it is the operative phrase. You're cured! So stay on those meds.

Look on the bright side...you now have a new interview question for potential hirees.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Perhaps because they have lost loved ones to COVID, or have immunocompromised loved ones who are put at risk by these attitudes. Or themselves are at risk.

What gets you "exercised"?

(I am not in this camp. I am in the "I hate selfish, unscientific, stupid thinking" camp.)

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    FWIW, as soon as I posted this I recognized “engulfing” was definitely an overstatement… but alas, you can’t edit thread titles.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I had a case of “be careful what you wish for,” as a couple weeks ago I wanted to hear from Nolan on this because I was hoping he would say that he disagreed with Kyrie and wished he would knock this off. Now I wish Nolan had just said nothing. I still would think/hope that Nolan is pro-vaccine and is just sticking up for his friend, but yeah it doesn’t reflect well on the program. Also, has anyone commented on the missing apostrophes in his tweet? Not great.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    FWIW, as soon as I posted this I recognized “engulfing” was definitely an overstatement… but alas, you can’t edit thread titles.
    Before the edit option times out, you can edit the title. Just click the "Go Advanced" button.

-jk

I have come to peace with the issue of folks deciding not to get vaccinated when I heard this phrase...

"I will pray for you if you get sick and mourn for you when you die"

https://www.bbc.com/sport/basketball/58717180

The BBC is taking notice. According to the article linked, celebrities like Donald Trump and Ted Cruz are supporting Kyrie which must feel nice for him.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc