Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    If I recall correctly - not always a given - Kyrie converted to Islam this past year. The Kemetic imagery seems to be more for marketing.
    https://ifyc.org/article/faith-and-c...lieve-vaccines

??
    I was commenting on whether Kyrie was Kemetic since someone asked the specific question.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I think literally EVERY team would accept his stance except for those in SF, LA, and NYC. Those are the only three cities with this mandate is my understanding. Bradley Beal is in deep blue Washington DC but is still allowed to play. Kyrie wouldn't need to go to Oklahoma for that to occur and fans/team ownership/management would look past it given his on court contributions, no doubt...
    What's so crazy is that if he were traded to another team, when that team travels to play in NYC, he would be allowed to play as a visitor. How does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by devilnfla View Post
    What's so crazy is that if he were traded to another team, when that team travels to play in NYC, he would be allowed to play as a visitor. How does that make sense?
    As far as I can tell it doesn’t make any sense at all. I’m baffled by it.

Quote Originally Posted by devilnfla View Post
    Makes none at all. JWill was going nuts about this when Bradley Beal played in either Brooklyn or MSG the other night— no one seemed to care🤔

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    The new video put out by the Duke social media team with Paolo going through "Why Duke?" is highlighted on the front page (you can also find it via Twitter here: https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1...515440647?s=20).

Quite interesting that it conspicuously highlights Kyrie on multiple occasions. There's been enough breathing room with this whole situation that, if they wanted to, the social media team could've easily edited this to omit Kyrie (even when they talk about "NBA Champions" they could've shown Quinn, even if he's not a star like Kyrie). So it certainly seems like, for better or worse, the program isn't looking to consciously distance itself from Kyrie amidst this hullabaloo.

In my eyes, a very interesting data point.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    The new video put out by the Duke social media team with Paolo going through "Why Duke?" is highlighted on the front page (you can also find it via Twitter here: https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1...515440647?s=20).

Quite interesting that it conspicuously highlights Kyrie on multiple occasions. There's been enough breathing room with this whole situation that, if they wanted to, the social media team could've easily edited this to omit Kyrie (even when they talk about "NBA Champions" they could've shown Quinn, even if he's not a star like Kyrie). So it certainly seems like, for better or worse, the program isn't looking to consciously distance itself from Kyrie amidst this hullabaloo.

In my eyes, a very interesting data point.
    The video is aimed at recruits and, as far as I can tell, most players still think Kyrie is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The video is aimed at recruits and, as far as I can tell, most players still think Kyrie is the man.
    Yeah, Kyrie’s brand is still pretty strong. Maybe not peak Uncle Drew commercials strong but he’s still one of the most exciting guards when he plays. Most recruits were, what, in middle school when he was on the Cavs with LBJ and hit one of the most clutch shots in NBA history?

I wouldn’t read more into it than that.

He also has one of the most popular shoes around, which definitely resonates with recruits. Most of Duke's current roster favorite kicks are Kyries (with Kobe, KD, etc. mixed it. Of course, they only have Nike choices)

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yeah, Kyrie’s brand is still pretty strong. Maybe not peak Uncle Drew commercials strong but he’s still one of the most exciting guards when he plays. Most recruits were, what, in middle school when he was on the Cavs with LBJ and hit one of the most clutch shots in NBA history?

I wouldn’t read more into it than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    He also has one of the most popular shoes around, which definitely resonates with recruits. Most of Duke's current roster favorite kicks are Kyries (with Kobe, KD, etc. mixed it. Of course, they only have Nike choices)
    All good and valid points. To be clear I wasn’t intending to scold Duke for doing this, just add this as a data point to the conversation. Some have been wondering whether Duke would distance itself from Kyrie given all of this, and this video provides perhaps the first evidence that it isn’t going to.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

For worse or better and in between Eric Adams will give an out to the stalemate for both Silver and Kyrie alike. No politics or arguments implied just saying Kyrie will be lacing em up in early 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    For worse or better and in between Eric Adams will give an out to the stalemate for both Silver and Kyrie alike. No politics or arguments implied just saying Kyrie will be lacing em up in early 2022.
    What do you mean “give an out”? And how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    What do you mean “give an out”? And how do you know?
    All over the news -- NYC mayor-elect Eric Adams said he will reconsider the vaccine mandate when he becomes mayor.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    All over the news -- NYC mayor-elect Eric Adams said he will reconsider the vaccine mandate when he becomes mayor.
    Not sure what news you saw this in but tonight Adams publicly said that nothing is changing.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...date-unchanged

Aaron Rogers says, Kyrie, hold my ivermectin.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Aaron Rogers says, Kyrie, hold my ivermectin.
    I think Aaron Rodgers is the most talented QB who has ever lived, and it’s not particular close. No QB has ever had his incredibly high level of arm strength combined with supreme accuracy. And it’s not just that he has a strong arm for throwing the deep pass — a lot of QB’s have had that — but he can throw ALL of the passes equally well from any distance. I’ve many times seen him make throws that seem to defy the laws of physics and have left me with my mouth hanging open in shocked disbelief.

All that being said, I’m going to have a more difficult time being enthusiastic for his QB feats going forward because of his outright bald-faced lie about being vaccinated. He was asked the question point blank “Are you vaccinated” and the first word out of his mouth was “Yeah”. He’s now trying to weasel out of it with some kind of bogus explanation about being “immunized” — whatever that means. But he knew damn well that the reporter was asking if he had received a Covid-19 vaccination.

This whole charade is embarrassing to him personally and to his team and the NFL overall. It’s a farce, a mockery. And he’s never going to live this down.

I think Aaron Rodgers is the most talented QB who has ever lived, and it’s not particular close. No QB has ever had his incredibly high level of arm strength combined with supreme accuracy. And it’s not just that he has a strong arm for throwing the deep pass — a lot of QB’s have had that — but he can throw ALL of the passes equally well from any distance. I’ve many times seen him make throws that seem to defy the laws of physics and have left me with my mouth hanging open in shocked disbelief.

All that being said, I’m going to have a more difficult time being enthusiastic for his QB feats going forward because of his outright bald-faced lie about being vaccinated. He was asked the question point blank “Are you vaccinated” and the first word out of his mouth was “Yeah”. He’s now trying to weasel out of it with some kind of bogus explanation about being “immunized” — whatever that means. But he knew damn well that the reporter was asking if he had received a Covid-19 vaccination.

This whole charade is embarrassing to him personally and to his team and the NFL overall. It’s a farce, a mockery. And he’s never going to live this down.
    Yep, he wasn't forthcoming at all. I get the feeling that he just wanted to do what he wanted to do and thought that he could just do it. I will be interested to see how informaiton from the Packers and NFL show how the Packers handled his situation. Did they follow proper protocols for unvaccinated people?

I have one final observation. Many people who are extremely gifted in one area feel that they are also gifted in other, unrelated areas. Inflated ego is a dangerous thing.*

*Except in my case since I actually am supremely gifted in all areas.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Yep, he wasn't forthcoming at all. I get the feeling that he just wanted to do what he wanted to do and thought that he could just do it. I will be interested to see how informaiton from the Packers and NFL show how the Packers handled his situation. Did they follow proper protocols for unvaccinated people?

I have one final observation. Many people who are extremely gifted in one area feel that they are also gifted in other, unrelated areas. Inflated ego is a dangerous thing.*
    I think you’re right — Rodgers is so excessively confident that he probably thinks he’s above the rules of mere mortal football players.

I also think you’re spot-on with the observation that people who are extremely gifted in one particular area are prone to assume — often incorrectly— that their talent overlaps into other areas.

I think a perfect example of this would be Rogers thinking he’s a quasi-GM for the Packers. Good GMs put in hundreds of hours each month on their job. Rodgers is not in the position to be doing that while he’s a starting NFL QB.

I think you’re right — Rodgers is so excessively confident that he probably thinks he’s above the rules of mere mortal football players.

I also think you’re spot-on with the observation that people who are extremely gifted in one particular area are prone to assume — often incorrectly— that their talent overlaps into other areas.

I think a perfect example of this would be Rogers thinking he’s a quasi-GM for the Packers. Good GMs put in hundreds of hours each month on their job. Rodgers is not in the position to be doing that while he’s a starting NFL QB.
    I agree but would call his confidence “arrogance” in the situation. The more I read, the bigger dope Rodgers becomes. He just lies about things that are easily refuted and believes the most common misconceptions about vaccines that minimal research should make clear. I’m now rooting against him.

Not to mention that he’s totally blown his chance to be the next permanent Jeopardy host. If he ever guests again, I would make all the clues actual vaccine science.