Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Well, Kyrie never "gradudated" from Duke (or any college). Certainly he attended Duke and maybe that was the point. It doesn't matter where somebody goes to school or even perhaps how seemingly educated they may seem on paper -- they can still be a bit crazy as it relates to conspiracy theories...
    Well that's not very "brotherhood." Look, just because there might be Conspiracy Uncle Q coming to Thanksgiving doesn't mean you can throw him out into the snowbank and never be invited back. He's family. Just drink some extra wine and enjoy the post-Turkey discussion or go watch the Lions play football as you loosen the 'ol belt.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yes! And I was just kidding about him being infamous. CAPTCA can be mildly annoying when you fail repeatedly as I often do.
    Hard to identify those crosswalks or motorcycles at times...

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yes! And I was just kidding about him being infamous. CAPTCA can be mildly annoying when you fail repeatedly as I often do.
    As a complete aside, did you know there's actually a really sound scientific reason behind why those CAPTCA things use pictures? "Computer vision" is still a huge challenge/unsolved problem in computer science, AI, machine learning, etc. Computers still struggle to classify and differentiate objects as well as we can, and oftentimes the mistakes they make are catastrophically bad (sometimes leading to hilarious results, other times leading to real-world problems in terms of bias that have pervaded the field).

Despite being a computational neuroscientist I find that fascinating every time I see more about it. And now you know too!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    Well that's not very "brotherhood." Look, just because there might be Conspiracy Uncle Q coming to Thanksgiving doesn't mean you can throw him out into the snowbank and never be invited back. He's family. Just drink some extra wine and enjoy the post-Turkey discussion or go watch the Lions play football as you loosen the 'ol belt.
    I bet weezie would say, "the Lions play football"?

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Not just Weezie!

Ugh, having spent formative years (sports fandom formative specifically) in the D, then going to family Thanksgivings to watch them (usually) play like turkeys, for decades. Oh my, if we could only say with confidence, "what it was, was football."

I still feel ill remembering a long KO return by the Bears to win a turkey day game. It's been 41 years ... maybe another 41 and I'll be over it.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Not just Weezie!

Ugh, having spent formative years (sports fandom formative specifically) in the D, then going to family Thanksgivings to watch them (usually) play like turkeys, for decades. Oh my, if we could only say with confidence, "what it was, was football."

I still feel ill remembering a long KO return by the Bears to win a turkey day game. It's been 41 years ... maybe another 41 and I'll be over it.
    I'm sure you long for the Barry Sanders days. It looks like the Lions didn't appreciate Matthew Stafford by putting a good team around him. He's doing very well for the LARs.

The only reason Bradley Beal and Jonathan Isaac aren't getting as much attention as Kyrie is because they're still eligible to play for the Wizards and Magic respectively while being unvaxxed. They've actually been vocal about why they won't take the vaccine while Irving has tried to keep this to himself until he couldn't because of NYC's mandate for indoor venues and crowded events.

I don't support Kyrie's decision here since taking the vaccine is the easiest thing to do and any side affects from a MRNA vaccine would've manifested itself right now. However, I don't agree with vaccine mandates and I don't like how this decision is being forced on him.

The fact of the matter is that professional athletes are being tested weekly for COVID so if they were to test positive, they'd be asked to quarantine anyway. On top of that if you account for the fact that Beal/Irving/Isaac are world class athletes, this is a virus that's shown overwhelmingly to not hospitalize or make seriously ill someone in their age groups and physical conditions. They are not obese, immunocompromised or elderly like the vast majority of the country.

It would be hypocritical for me to criticize Kyrie when I've been out to countless bars/restaurants/social events since getting vaccinated and even if the risk of transmission is far lower in my case since I'm vaxxed, the Law of Large Numbers would state that I've undoubtedly passed the virus on to others unless the risk of transmission is truly infinitesimal.

Besides his perchance for diving headfirst into conspiracy theories, Kyrie has been a terrific and vocal supporter of The Brotherhood plus he's one of the most generous individuals you'll find on this planet.

A long but not exhaustive list of Kyrie's charitable contributions:

https://www.michigandaily.com/news/k...r-in-pakistan/

https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-k...ing-media-day/

https://www.republicworld.com/sports...21-season.html

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...virus-pandemic

https://www.jackcentral.org/opinion/...74642f4ba.html

-Donated to a University of Michigan nonprofit that will develop a solar water center that will provide clean water and electricity to over 1,000 people
    -Donated $323,000 to Feeding America
    -Teamed up with City Harvest to donate $250,000 in meals to struggling New Yorkers during COVID
    -Paid off the college tuition of nine HBCU students from Lincoln University
    -Partnered with Nike to donate 17 pallets of food and masks to the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe
    -Purchased a house for the family of George Floyd
    -Donated $1.5 Million to WNBA players who opted out of the bubble last year

You can criticize Kyrie for being a bad teammate, making a selfish decision or believing in silly conspiracies but a character assassination would be foolish.

Philanthropy is a core tenet of Duke as an institution and Kyrie might have done more in that realm than everyone who posts on DBR combined.

Nobody on this message board is perfect and neither is Kyrie. "Let who is without sin cast the first stone".

At this point, I feel for the Nets players, staff, ownership and fans. The Nets just handily lost a game against the defending champs, a game they may very well have challenged for or even won had Kyrie done what he should have done. At this point he stands to get paid something like $18,000,000 for the sole purpose of keeping his team from reaching their potential, even as he has an outsized influence on others to make a bad decision. It's borderline tragic.

At this point, however, it is also not newsworthy. Basketball and society as a whole will be better off if people just stop talking about Kyrie. I'm done with him until he wises up.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    At this point, I feel for the Nets players, staff, ownership and fans. The Nets just handily lost a game against the defending champs, a game they may very well have challenged for or even won had Kyrie done what he should have done. At this point he stands to get paid something like $18,000,000 for the sole purpose of keeping his team from reaching their potential, even as he has an outsized influence on others to make a bad decision. It's borderline tragic.

At this point, however, it is also not newsworthy. Basketball and society as a whole will be better off if people just stop talking about Kyrie. I'm done with him until he wises up.
    Great and that's your opinion. He's still my favorite basketball player and I feel for him that he's being thrust into this spotlight due to circumstance. While he may be anti-vax, he's not going out of his way to decry the vaccine and tell his fans or others not to take it.

You're calling losing an meaningless opening season basketball game "borderline tragic". Lets regain some perspective here.

If fans/social media stans/etc are making personal health decisions based on what actors and athletes do, we have bigger problems on our hands as a society.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    If fans/social media stans/etc are making personal health decisions based on what actors and athletes do, we have bigger problems on our hands as a society.
    They do daily, and that's precisely why it matter what actors and athletes say and do. But as I said, I'm done with Kyrie, and I won't be drawn into a debate about him. I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post

Children in Africa going blind from preventable diseases is tragic. Children being orphaned in the middle of war-torn countries is tragic. Environmental degradation is tragic. People spending decades behind bars for crimes they didn’t commit is tragic. People living in abject poverty while the 1/2 of 1% (in many countries) gorges themselves to excess is tragic.

Kyrie Irving not throwing a ball through a hoop and therefore not getting paid for it? Not tragic. Try trivially unimportant.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    "what it was, was football."
    Sporks for Andy Griffith reference.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Children in Africa going blind from preventable diseases is tragic. Children being orphaned in the middle of war-torn countries is tragic. Environmental degradation is tragic. People spending decades behind bars for crimes they didn’t commit is tragic. People living in abject poverty while the 1/2 of 1% (in many countries) gorges themselves to excess is tragic.

Kyrie Irving not throwing a ball through a hoop and therefore not getting paid for it? Not tragic. Try trivially unimportant.
    I may be speaking out of turn here, but I think Phredd3’s main point in using the word “tragic” was Kyrie Irving’s anti-vaccination message potentially influencing others — possibly MANY others — to make the same horrifically bad decision he has made to not get vaccinated.

And yes, that absolutely is tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    weezie says, "The Miseries make it possible for millions to enjoy family time, get the meal on the table and ignore football until later on Thanksgiving afternoon. They've got that going for them."

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I may be speaking out of turn here, but I think Phredd3’s main point in using the word “tragic” was Kyrie Irving’s anti-vaccination message potentially influencing others — possibly MANY others — to make the same horrifically bad decision he has made to not get vaccinated.

And yes, that absolutely is tragic.
    *Sigh* One last reply herein, and ONLY because I couldn't spork Steven and I can't send him a PM. Steven is NOT speaking out of turn. Please read what he wrote. If you don't grasp the point, please read it again. Truly, I'm done with the thread.

Done with Kyrie I have completely lost interest in his NBA play
    Just wanted to say after 8 months the booster which I hope to get on 10/29 Moderna though safe to take Pfizer I look forward to my shot.Israeli study states it really dramatically increased anti bodies .
    Science MNRNA Winning . Israel has a deal with Pfizer . However FDA says you can mix. My first 2 shots were Moderna . No fears and I already had my flu shot

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It wasn't an interview. He was riffing. His staff can't spot check everything he says off the cuff. Very different than the research and prep work he and his staff do for an interview. I would encourage you to listen to his interview of Hillary Clinton and his various interviews of Paul McCartney.
    The Clinton interview was fantastic. Really interesting to hear her talk about not doing the interview BEFORE the election.

And yeah, he said that Kyrie graduated from Duke just a few days ago. Howard isn't a sports guy, so he isn't going to know that some players leave before graduating. You see where a kid went to school and you assume they graduated from there.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    The only reason Bradley Beal and Jonathan Isaac aren't getting as much attention as Kyrie is because they're still eligible to play for the Wizards and Magic respectively while being unvaxxed. They've actually been vocal about why they won't take the vaccine while Irving has tried to keep this to himself until he couldn't because of NYC's mandate for indoor venues and crowded events.

I don't support Kyrie's decision here since taking the vaccine is the easiest thing to do and any side affects from a MRNA vaccine would've manifested itself right now. However, I don't agree with vaccine mandates and I don't like how this decision is being forced on him.

The fact of the matter is that professional athletes are being tested weekly for COVID so if they were to test positive, they'd be asked to quarantine anyway. On top of that if you account for the fact that Beal/Irving/Isaac are world class athletes, this is a virus that's shown overwhelmingly to not hospitalize or make seriously ill someone in their age groups and physical conditions. They are not obese, immunocompromised or elderly like the vast majority of the country.

It would be hypocritical for me to criticize Kyrie when I've been out to countless bars/restaurants/social events since getting vaccinated and even if the risk of transmission is far lower in my case since I'm vaxxed, the Law of Large Numbers would state that I've undoubtedly passed the virus on to others unless the risk of transmission is truly infinitesimal.

Besides his perchance for diving headfirst into conspiracy theories, Kyrie has been a terrific and vocal supporter of The Brotherhood plus he's one of the most generous individuals you'll find on this planet.

A long but not exhaustive list of Kyrie's charitable contributions:

https://www.michigandaily.com/news/k...r-in-pakistan/

https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-k...ing-media-day/

https://www.republicworld.com/sports...21-season.html

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...virus-pandemic

https://www.jackcentral.org/opinion/...74642f4ba.html

-Donated to a University of Michigan nonprofit that will develop a solar water center that will provide clean water and electricity to over 1,000 people
    -Donated $323,000 to Feeding America
    -Teamed up with City Harvest to donate $250,000 in meals to struggling New Yorkers during COVID
    -Paid off the college tuition of nine HBCU students from Lincoln University
    -Partnered with Nike to donate 17 pallets of food and masks to the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe
    -Purchased a house for the family of George Floyd
    -Donated $1.5 Million to WNBA players who opted out of the bubble last year

You can criticize Kyrie for being a bad teammate, making a selfish decision or believing in silly conspiracies but a character assassination would be foolish.

Philanthropy is a core tenet of Duke as an institution and Kyrie might have done more in that realm than everyone who posts on DBR combined.

Nobody on this message board is perfect and neither is Kyrie. "Let who is without sin cast the first stone".
    "As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”
    Luke 21:1-4
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    "As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”
    Luke 21:1-4
    There’s no reason to call Bradley Beal a poor widow.

Back to the thread title, I think Duke is really, kind of, you know, inoculated from the Kyrie festouche.