Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/basketball/58717180

The BBC is taking notice. According to the article linked, celebrities like Donald Trump and Ted Cruz are supporting Kyrie which must feel nice for him.

That is kind of funny. Perhaps that support will turn Kyrie so as to run to get vaccinated.

Another take down of Kyrie from a fan https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...tic-dangerous/

Kyrie’s “big into conspiracies” defense of his ludicrous flat earth beliefs sheds some light on his current motivation. He deserves no sympathy.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/basketball/58717180

The BBC is taking notice. According to the article linked, celebrities like Donald Trump and Ted Cruz are supporting Kyrie which must feel nice for him.
    The former President is not known to be a voracious reader so he probably missed this, which may have tempered his enthusiasm for Kyrie:

https://clutchpoints.com/nets-news-k...tter-protests/

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Gotta wonder if this is being discussed in the Butters Building as much as it is here.
    I am SURE this is being discussed.

Duke athletics, and Duke U admin, are pretty aware of optics.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    The former President is not known to be a voracious reader so he probably missed this, which may have tempered his enthusiasm for Kyrie:

https://clutchpoints.com/nets-news-k...tter-protests/

He may not be a reader, but I'm sure that someone had clipped it for him... he generally stays informed about stuff, and he's known to hold a grudge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I am SURE this is being discussed.

Duke athletics, and Duke U admin, are pretty aware of optics.
    The bolded is an important part too. Duke University has been VERY prominent throughout the COVID pandemic, and very prominent in promoting good health practices and vaccine development. They can't be thrilled that multiple employees (Smith and whomever runs the @DukeMBB Twitter account) are actively showing support for an anti-COVID-vaccine stance.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The bolded is an important part too. Duke University has been VERY prominent throughout the COVID pandemic, and very prominent in promoting good health practices and vaccine development. They can't be thrilled that multiple employees (Smith and whomever runs the @DukeMBB Twitter account) are actively showing support for an anti-COVID-vaccine stance.
    I think Duke has been the most visible university during this whole thing, and almost all of the press has been good (bc we rock.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Bravo! I believe in free speech. I also believe in ignoring people executing their right to free speech. ESPN talking heads are on the top of my list.
    Some people don't understand the concepts of ignoring, leaving alone, exit, etc. They've never learned to really internalize the idea that some people are going to think and act differently than they desire, and they overvalue the importance of that difference.

This is a tough thread to comment on without going out of bounds, so no comment from me regarding Kyrie. As far as Nolan, we have to have some context here. His main job is to recruit 15-18 year olds to play basketball at Duke. If I look back at our recruiting success in the recent past, I’d say we’ve done an excellent job, and I’d say Nolan has been a HUGE part of that. Why? His ability to connect with 15-18 year olds maybe? What do you think the mindset of most 15-18 year olds is regarding Covid in general? Who do you think Nolan’s social media accounts target? Who is his most important audience? If you think this through, you may realize that showing a little Kyrie love on Twitter isn’t a bad idea for someone in Nolan’s position. Remember, he’s actively recruiting every day— let Nolan do what Nolan has done very well.

While Nolan is a more delicate subject, I would be shocked if someone in the department or administration were unaware of what was going on. The university has both been very prominent, and careful about the image they've presented throughout covid, and having an official account of the university (even on whatever random social media), getting into that quagmire is a no-win situation.

Per his own bio, President price is

A leading global expert on public opinion, social influence, and political communication
    There is no way something like this would escape his administration's notice.

WRT Nolan, I respect his right to stand up for one of his "guys." But for better or worse, when you are a very public representative of a large organization, you sometimes have to check what you say at the door (or not, in the case of elon musk, I suppose...). If he wants to support kyrie, he needs to ensure he is sensitive about the way he does it to both respect his own opinion and those of the organization which he represents. That's simply the nature of working in that kind of position...you have to toe the company line...and in this case, the right move is probably to stay out of it publicly, and I'm sure many people wish he had, but at the very least, post in vagueries that people can plausibly read to mean whatever they think it needs to.

It's not like Adam Silver is on the board, either, or has influenced things within the athletic department in the past.

In either case, I would be surprised if we see a duke social media account wade into the kyrie thing further.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    While Nolan is a more delicate subject, I would be shocked if someone in the department or administration were unaware of what was going on. The university has both been very prominent, and careful about the image they've presented throughout covid, and having an official account of the university (even on whatever random social media), getting into that quagmire is a no-win situation.

Per his own bio, President price is

There is no way something like this would escape his administration's notice.

WRT Nolan, I respect his right to stand up for one of his "guys." But for better or worse, when you are a very public representative of a large organization, you sometimes have to check what you say at the door (or not, in the case of elon musk, I suppose...). If he wants to support kyrie, he needs to ensure he is sensitive about the way he does it to both respect his own opinion and those of the organization which he represents. That's simply the nature of working in that kind of position...you have to toe the company line...and in this case, the right move is probably to stay out of it publicly, and I'm sure many people wish he had, but at the very least, post in vagueries that people can plausibly read to mean whatever they think it needs to.

It's not like Adam Silver is on the board, either, or has influenced things within the athletic department in the past.

In either case, I would be surprised if we see a duke social media account wade into the kyrie thing further.
    Totall agree. And I'm guessing that Smith has gotten or will get that lesson presented to him. It's perhaps new territory for him, and I can understand the desire to show support for a friend. But as a VERY visible representative of a VERY visible company, you simply have to be careful in what you say. And Nolan definitely went against what Duke University is about with his statement.

As I mentioned earlier, if an employee of Pfizer tweeted an anti-Pfizer vaccine or anti-vax stance, they might well get fired. I highly doubt Nolan would lose his job over something like this. But hopefully he learns a lesson about using his voice carefully as a representative of the University.

Totall agree. And I'm guessing that Smith has gotten or will get that lesson presented to him. It's perhaps new territory for him, and I can understand the desire to show support for a friend. But as a VERY visible representative of a VERY visible company, you simply have to be careful in what you say. And Nolan definitely went against what Duke University is about with his statement.

As I mentioned earlier, if an employee of Pfizer tweeted an anti-Pfizer vaccine or anti-vax stance, they might well get fired. I highly doubt Nolan would lose his job over something like this. But hopefully he learns a lesson about using his voice carefully as a representative of the University.
    Yeah I think the right message to send is

"I love my friend kyrie, and I think everyone wants to see you back on the court soon."

Supporting his anti-vax position, or imploring him to get vaccinated are both valid readings.
    April 1

Yeah I think the right message to send is

"I love my friend kyrie, and I think everyone wants to see you back on the court soon."

Supporting his anti-vax position, or imploring him to get vaccinated are both valid readings.
    Yep, that would have been the right way to do it in this case. Vague enough to be read either way. Plausible deniability.

Duke does not sell vaccines. False equivalency.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    it's not about the vaccine. it's about the party line of a large organization that has something to lose (their public image) if a public representative of the organization does NOT toe that line.
    April 1

it's not about the vaccine. it's about the party line of a large organization that has something to lose (their public image) if a public representative of the organization does NOT toe that line.
    bonus points for referring to Kyrie and toe in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I am sorry if I wasn’t completely clear and explicit, but respectfully it is not a false equivalency at all. Duke University has a brand. A big part of that brand is being at the forefront medically. And over the past two years, that has included being VERY prominent in COVID research. And over the past year, this has included very much promoting the use of the vaccine.

No, Duke is not selling the vaccine. But their brand is absolutely promoting good public health measures including (and probably most prominently) getting vaccinated. Smith’s comments are in direct conflict with Duke’s brand, just like anti-vax comments are in conflict with Pfizer’s brand.

Now, I agree that the severity differs. Which is why I said Smith wouldn’t get fired whereas a Pfizer employee would. The equivalency is not in the severity of conflict, but rather in the statement conflicting with the brand message.

I am sorry if my message wasn’t clear to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    This is a tough thread to comment on without going out of bounds, so no comment from me regarding Kyrie. As far as Nolan, we have to have some context here. His main job is to recruit 15-18 year olds to play basketball at Duke. If I look back at our recruiting success in the recent past, I’d say we’ve done an excellent job, and I’d say Nolan has been a HUGE part of that. Why? His ability to connect with 15-18 year olds maybe? What do you think the mindset of most 15-18 year olds is regarding Covid in general? Who do you think Nolan’s social media accounts target? Who is his most important audience? If you think this through, you may realize that showing a little Kyrie love on Twitter isn’t a bad idea for someone in Nolan’s position. Remember, he’s actively recruiting every day— let Nolan do what Nolan has done very well.
    I hope that Nolan is not pandering to 15-18 year olds and instead he is just supporting his friend. In the end, K built his program in many ways on integrity and being willing to say the tough things to players/media/fans. He was not always correct (see some of his interactions with the Chronicle) but was usually also willing to admit when he got something wrong.

Also implied in what you are saying is that Kyrie has a material influence on the youth. To disagree with a young Charles Barkley, these guys are role models.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    I agree with those who have stated the reasons why Nolan's comments were inappropriate as a representative of the program and the university. I would be very surprised if he has not been on the carpet in Coach K's office, President Price's office, or both.

And I do find this to be an area which could get pretty sticky for coaches. I haven't heard Coach K or Coach Scheyer asked about it, but they too would probably have to walk a fine line, for the reason you alluded to -- recruiting. If Coach K or Coach Scheyer were to say "I support Kyrie and this is his choice to be made" etc. then he is putting himself in the same position as Nolan -- at odds with Duke's message, Duke's brand, science, and everything else. If Coach were to say "I'm disappointed in Kyrie's irresponsibility here, his buying into absurd conspiracy theories, and the way he is letting his teammates down" (or a lighter version of that) then you can believe that would be used against Duke in recruiting -- "he doesn't support his players" and "this is emblematic of the old school white patriarchy telling young black people what to do" etc etc etc. I hope, when asked about it, our coaches can find that fine line. Our PR/messaging folks should be preparing them for it right now.

I agree with those who have stated the reasons why Nolan's comments were inappropriate as a representative of the program and the university. I would be very surprised if he has not been on the carpet in Coach K's office, President Price's office, or both.

And I do find this to be an area which could get pretty sticky for coaches. I haven't heard Coach K or Coach Scheyer asked about it, but they too would probably have to walk a fine line, for the reason you alluded to -- recruiting. If Coach K or Coach Scheyer were to say "I support Kyrie and this is his choice to be made" etc. then he is putting himself in the same position as Nolan -- at odds with Duke's message, Duke's brand, science, and everything else. If Coach were to say "I'm disappointed in Kyrie's irresponsibility here, his buying into absurd conspiracy theories, and the way he is letting his teammates down" (or a lighter version of that) then you can believe that would be used against Duke in recruiting -- "he doesn't support his players" and "this is emblematic of the old school white patriarchy telling young black people what to do" etc etc etc. I hope, when asked about it, our coaches can find that fine line. Our PR/messaging folks should be preparing them for it right now.
    The right response to me would be “Kyrie is free to do what he wants but I hope he talks to his doctor and gets vaccinated to protect himself and others.”

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    The right response to me would be “Kyrie is free to do what he wants but I hope he talks to his doctor and gets vaccinated to protect himself and others.”
    I think uh_no's response would have been the safest. Keep it vague enough that it could be read as supportive of Irving while also could be read as suggesting getting vaccinated.

LasVegas' suggestion would certainly please the University, but probably wouldn't please Irving. Which would seemingly defeat the purpose of Smith's post.

Definitely agree with tommy that it is a tricky balance for coaches to walk. Nolan is new to the game, and this is perhaps his first taste of that lesson.