Thread: Decourcy on K

Decourcy on K

I am sure all the big college bball scribes are going to do a K piece this year. Decourcy is up:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/bask...f1ge8s76xyn76z

Thanks, great piece. I especially loved the chat K and the three coaches had - when they knew it would be Jon...

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Thanks, great piece. I especially loved the chat K and the three coaches had - when they knew it would be Jon...
    That was definitely an interesting part to read. Although if I had to pick my favorite thing in the article, it would be the comment about the chairs.

To borrow one of K's pet phrases, I got chills reading that.

I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes after reading it...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

K’s guidance to Jon about balancing his time with his young family with the pressures of the job shows , to me any way, that the lessons of 1995 (and years leading up to it) are/were a seminal event in K’s life/career.

What a great article, I expect we'll be treated to quite a few this season. Thanks for sharing, can't wait for tomorrow night!

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    K’s guidance to Jon about balancing his time with his young family with the pressures of the job shows , to me any way, that the lessons of 1995 (and years leading up to it) are/were a seminal event in K’s life/career.
    Agreed and I’ve always thought time management was one of the Duke program’s secret powers that doesn’t get enough attention. Anyone I’ve ever heard talk about attending a Duke practice, for example, talks about how little wasted energy there is. I’ve always thought of that from the perspective of K’s military background but it’s also interesting to think about the reality that K was building a life while also building a dynasty at Duke. He obviously wants the same for his successor.

[Personal anecdote - I can not *stand* wasted motion at practice. My high school baseball coach somehow managed to make us suffer through 3 hour practices in late January (SC) where we’d each get about 20 swings in batting practice and take “infield” a single time. I still can't quite figure out the math there. Anyway, that was happening around the time I was learning about how Coach ran the Duke program and needless to say, I loved Duke’s efficiency and intentionality.]

K is really great with time management because there was a time when he was (by his own admission) really bad at it, and it took its toll on him. Lesson learned...

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    What a great article, I expect we'll be treated to quite a few this season. Thanks for sharing, can't wait for tomorrow night!
    I think ESPN's Wright Thompson is one of the best young longform sportswriters working. I follow him on IG and was excited to see him post a photo from inside Cameron a few weeks back. That tells me he is going to tackle a K piece and he tends to get information that others don't.

K is always so consistent with his messaging that I often feel like every story reads the same...a ton of the details in the Decourcy story were already reported since he announced the Succession plan (speaking of which, who in the Duke program is Kendall? Who is Roman? Gotta assume Debbie is Shiv and Kyrie is Connor...Season 3 starts Sunday).

I expect Thompson to get something more out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I think ESPN's Wright Thompson is one of the best young longform sportswriters working. I follow him on IG and was excited to see him post a photo from inside Cameron a few weeks back. That tells me he is going to tackle a K piece and he tends to get information that others don't.

K is always so consistent with his messaging that I often feel like every story reads the same...a ton of the details in the Decourcy story were already reported since he announced the Succession plan (speaking of which, who in the Duke program is Kendall? Who is Roman? Gotta assume Debbie is Shiv and Kyrie is Connor...Season 3 starts Sunday).

I expect Thompson to get something more out of him.
    Chris Spatola would be Tom Wombsgans, and Andy Borman Greg the Egg. Maybe Johnny D is Kendall as he almost took down K in the tournament a few years ago? None of this works as K isn’t Logan Roy but I love me some Succession.