Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    White, white, blue uniform for Saturday with an iron D on the helmet.

https://twitter.com/DukeFOOTBALL/sta...73859084103681
    My favorite road look. Wish we wore it all/mostly all of the time.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I concur. I believe we switch blue and white helmets based on the home team's choice so that we have contrasting lids.

And blue/white helmets, blue jersey, white pants is the best home look (please no more black or gray!)

I happen to like the old fashioned '60s devil head as a helmet logo, but I understand others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Duke +10.5 is really tempting to throw some money at. Vegas is really disrespecting Duke with that line in my opinion.
    You need to ask Jason about his experience with this particular temptation. Never get involved in a land war in Asia... and never bet on Duke football.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    You need to ask Jason about his experience with this particular temptation. Never get involved in a land war in Asia... and never bet on Duke football.
    yeah, that betting line isn't remotely tempting for me.

*sighs and shakes his head*

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I think we should wear it at home during the hot weather too...the darker colors DO wear you out faster in the heat/sun...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, that betting line isn't remotely tempting for me.
    I wouldn’t be tempted if that line was tattooed on Scarlett Johansson.

And she’s welcome to come prove me wrong.

Duke/Virginia is nominally on the YES network at 12:30 today (for those of you who get that network).

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Duke/Virginia is nominally on the YES network at 12:30 today (for those of you who get that network).
    The game also shows on ESPN3. https://www.espn.com/search/_/q/duke

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    The game also shows on ESPN3. https://www.espn.com/search/_/q/duke
    It will be blacked out onESPN3 within the ACC Footprint, as the regional sports network (Mostly Bally formerly Fox) games have been for years.

Mid Atlantic Sports Network in Virginia. Channel 577 for those with Verizon FIOS.
    Bob Green

It's game day. Unfortunately I do not like the match up for Duke. Even bad QBs(GT and Kansas) have been able to throw deep against us, and Virginia's QB is very good. We may have better luck on the other side of the ball, but Cut has yet to really figure out Bronco's defense in the 5 previous meetings between the two. Our best bet is a for fun, high scoring game, and perhaps we can just nick it.

For those who live in Central Florida, the Duke at Virginia game is slated to be televised here in Orlando on the Bally Sports Sun Network, Spectrum Cable Channel 31.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    It's game day. Unfortunately I do not like the match up for Duke. Even bad QBs(GT and Kansas) have been able to throw deep against us, and Virginia's QB is very good. We may have better luck on the other side of the ball, but Cut has yet to really figure out Bronco's defense in the 5 previous meetings between the two. Our best bet is a for fun, high scoring game, and perhaps we can just nick it.
    To me, the only reasonable identity that gives Duke FB a chance to be successful is one that has this as the key always. Spurrier understood that. I thought Cut did. Not so sure now. The most fun football game in Duke history, that I can recall, was the 52-48 loss to Texas A and M. Duke football, on natty TV, looked fun, dynamic, exciting...even in a loss. 700 yards of offense almost. I was devastated at the loss, but so proud of the performance. If you find the ESPN replay of that game on YouTube, and read the comments below, Duke football impressed a whole lot of people that night. I think I can say without fear of contradiction that Duke has not earned such a national reaction in 60 years.

On the other hand, as a tiny tot, I still remember when Mike McGee's team went to Stanford and upset them 9-3. I think Duke had a pretty good ranking after that game. McGee's teams played great defense at times. But having a fundamentally sound team that plays ball control offense and solid defense and special teams is simply not how Duke can get it done. I fear that Duke has gone from ahead of the curve philosophically to behind the curve philosophically in this regard.

Cut's best teams were pretty balanced and had excellent special teams. In the years before Jim Knowles left, the defense was often ahead of the offense. Unfortunately, Cut's offense has been pretty stale for years now and Duke no longer has a solid defense to fall back on. Looking back, Cut's decision not to make an outside hire to replace Scottie Montgomery after the 2015 season looms large.

Looking back, Cut's decision not to make an outside hire to replace Scottie Montgomery after the 2015 season looms large.
    IMO, you hit the nail on the head. Cutcliffe should have hired an experienced, proven offensive coordinator. I cannot fathom why Zac Roper is still on the staff he should have been kicked to the curb several years ago.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    IMO, you hit the nail on the head. Cutcliffe should have hired an experienced, proven offensive coordinator. I cannot fathom why Zac Roper is still on the staff he should have been kicked to the curb several years ago.
    He was a solid special teams coach (his original role) IIRC. Believe both the offense and special teams got worse when he made the move to OC.

Although we've left the Triangle to come up to the mountains (Fleetwood) for a grand niece's birthday celebration/pig pickin', you can bet I'll be taking occasional peeks at the Duke/UVa game. If they can't get it however, I'll be checking the phone regularly for updates. I will of course apologize before said interruption(s) stating, "excuse me while I whip this out."

Let's get back on the winning track here, Blue Devils!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    It would be interesting to know how much Cut has been allowed to spend on assistant coaches. Duke ponied up big time to get Cut- since then, the going rate for assistant coaches has gone up, and Duke has opted mostly for internal hires. When the next regime is brought in, Duke needs to increase the assistant coach budget in the same way they increased the head coach budget in 2007.

It would be interesting to know how much Cut has been allowed to spend on assistant coaches. Duke ponied up big time to get Cut- since then, the going rate for assistant coaches has gone up, and Duke has opted mostly for internal hires. When the next regime is brought in, Duke needs to increase the assistant coach budget in the same way they increased the head coach budget in 2007.
    This is indeed a very interesting unknown. But what IS known is that his top ranked assistant, Roper (endowed Baxter Family Deputy Head Coach...think Exec VP) has been reduced to coaching tight ends, having been removed two years ago as offensive coordinator. So it certainly doesn't appear that Cut's maximizing the assistant money he does have. (When Cut's salary got bumped up to $2.66 million a few years ago, I have to think there was more money available for assistants as well, but I don't know that).