Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
Results 421 to 440 of 443
  1. #421
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    I also had big hopes for Scottie (past tense). Wish it had worked out better at ECU in terms of head coaching ability.

  2. #422
    Mighty quiet week .., AD ?

    Iíll even take rumors ..
    Know any moles in the Athletic Department?
    Surely something is percolating 🙏

  3. #423
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopeshop View Post
    Mighty quiet week .., AD ?

    Iíll even take rumors ..
    Know any moles in the Athletic Department?
    Surely something is percolating 🙏
    Sorta the opposite of "no news is good news."

  4. #424
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    I firmly believe there will be news at the conclusion of the season.

  5. #425
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I firmly believe there will be news at the conclusion of the season.
    End of 2022 season maybe.🤔

  6. #426
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N. Charleston, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    End of 2022 season maybe.🤔
    You might see dedicated STHís heading to the portal if thatís the case

  7. #427
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA

    Season win totals for Cut to stay?

    Listened to the Section 17 podcast last night and they were trying to stay away from speculation about the coaching future, but wandered into it anyway. We're all assuming (maybe hoping is a better word for some) that the deal is in the works and that the conversations are happening, but I haven't seen anything definitive, and we likely won't until it actually happens so let the speculation continue. Anyway, they asked a question I've been thinking about and wanted to throw out.

    That question is (I'm making it a two parter): (a) how many wins would it take for you to think Cut should stay (assuming stay = extension b/c you can't recruit with a coach with only one year remaining ), and (b) how do you think Nina would answer question (a)?

    Their win triggers were lower than mine, and I'm sure lower than many on this board. I expect many would answer question (a) with something along the lines of "there is nothing he can do, he needs to go now, why is he even still here?" That's fine, lots of reasons for that and I'm not looking to change anyone's mind there. Of course, question (b) is the only one that really matters b/c Nina is the one that has to make the decision, if she hasn't already.

    FWIW, my answer to question (a) is 6 wins (so three more) and no losses by more than 10 points. Getting Duke to a bowl game and not getting blown out again is the minimum I would accept for believing that we've turned a corner. Hard for Duke to get in the business of firing coaches who get to bowl games. More than six wins? Seems completely unrealistic even for the biggest Cut believer around, but if that happens, give the man a few more years and let's hope the trend continues. Two more wins or less (so total of 5 on the year), combined with what we've seen over the last few seasons including this one, and it's time to make the change.

    My thought is the answer to question (b) may actually be 5 though. Winning two more games (which would be significant upsets at this point) might be enough to convince Nina that Cut has addressed some of the issues, that last year can be written off to Covid, and that we should kick this down the road a few more years and see what happens. Thoughts?

  8. #428
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by paris95 View Post
    Listened to the Section 17 podcast last night and they were trying to stay away from speculation about the coaching future, but wandered into it anyway. We're all assuming (maybe hoping is a better word for some) that the deal is in the works and that the conversations are happening, but I haven't seen anything definitive, and we likely won't until it actually happens so let the speculation continue. Anyway, they asked a question I've been thinking about and wanted to throw out.

    That question is (I'm making it a two parter): (a) how many wins would it take for you to think Cut should stay (assuming stay = extension b/c you can't recruit with a coach with only one year remaining ), and (b) how do you think Nina would answer question (a)?

    Their win triggers were lower than mine, and I'm sure lower than many on this board. I expect many would answer question (a) with something along the lines of "there is nothing he can do, he needs to go now, why is he even still here?" That's fine, lots of reasons for that and I'm not looking to change anyone's mind there. Of course, question (b) is the only one that really matters b/c Nina is the one that has to make the decision, if she hasn't already.

    FWIW, my answer to question (a) is 6 wins (so three more) and no losses by more than 10 points. Getting Duke to a bowl game and not getting blown out again is the minimum I would accept for believing that we've turned a corner. Hard for Duke to get in the business of firing coaches who get to bowl games. More than six wins? Seems completely unrealistic even for the biggest Cut believer around, but if that happens, give the man a few more years and let's hope the trend continues. Two more wins or less (so total of 5 on the year), combined with what we've seen over the last few seasons including this one, and it's time to make the change.

    My thought is the answer to question (b) may actually be 5 though. Winning two more games (which would be significant upsets at this point) might be enough to convince Nina that Cut has addressed some of the issues, that last year can be written off to Covid, and that we should kick this down the road a few more years and see what happens. Thoughts?
    I think the die is cast as the Romans used to say. Sure, three wins could possibly change that, but I see no way that happens.

  9. #429
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by paris95 View Post

    That question is (I'm making it a two parter): (a) how many wins would it take for you to think Cut should stay (assuming stay = extension b/c you can't recruit with a coach with only one year remaining ), and (b) how do you think Nina would answer question (a)?
    Iím only going to answer Part A.

    Bowl eligibility is the key. Finish strong with three wins over final five games to finish 6-6 followed by a win over Directional U in a bowl game. So four more wins is my answer.

    Not! Gonna! Happen! The more likely scenario is an 0-5 finish. Apologies for my pessimism.
    Bob Green

  10. #430
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Iím only going to answer Part A.

    Bowl eligibility is the key. Finish strong with three wins over final five games to finish 6-6 followed by a win over Directional U in a bowl game. So four more wins is my answer.

    Not! Gonna! Happen! The more likely scenario is an 0-5 finish. Apologies for my pessimism.
    Yep, just not going to happen.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  11. #431
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I’m only going to answer Part A.

    Bowl eligibility is the key. Finish strong with three wins over final five games to finish 6-6 followed by a win over Directional U in a bowl game. So four more wins is my answer.

    Not! Gonna! Happen! The more likely scenario is an 0-5 finish. Apologies for my pessimism.
    Impossible not to be pessimistic right now. I think we'll put it all together in one game and steal a win somewhere, but hard to see any more than that based on the way we've played the last few weeks. Maybe there is magic that comes from the bye week, but after two blowout losses and with several teams playing better than those on the upcoming schedule, it's hard to see more wins other than somehow pulling off one upset.

  12. #432
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Iím only going to answer Part A.

    Bowl eligibility is the key. Finish strong with three wins over final five games to finish 6-6 followed by a win over Directional U in a bowl game. So four more wins is my answer.

    Not! Gonna! Happen! The more likely scenario is an 0-5 finish. Apologies for my pessimism.
    Hard not to be pessimistic! Here are the Football Outsiders and Sagarin rankings for our schedule (minus A&T because Football Outsiders only does FBS), updated after this weekend's games. Offense and Defense rankings are from Football Outsiders. Our easiest games definitely appear to be behind us (remaining games in bold).

    http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm
    https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fplus/2021

    Team FO Rank Sagarin Rank Offense Rank Defense Rank
    Pittsburgh 13 13 21 16
    North Carolina 30 55 10 70
    Wake Forest 32 26 22 57
    Virginia 38 46 13 79
    Miami 41 69 48 41
    Virginia Tech 48 62 72 29
    Louisville 52 61 23 83
    Georgia Tech 67 70 67 60
    Northwestern 81 75 98 40
    Duke 95 110 93 91
    Charlotte 110 125 71 125
    Kansas 124 140 111 124

  13. #433
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Welllll, I'm still disappointed that the Yankees have kept Aaron Boone as manager for another 3 years, so nothing would surprise me if we keep Cut. NOt that there's any relationship between the Yankees and Duke football.

    Upside to that is that we keep the 3-star WR from Greensboro that just committed. His biggest reason for committing is his relationship with Cut and the coaching staff, but he specifically mentioned Cut. He plans to enroll in January. Depending on what Nina decides, and when she announces it, de-committment is all too easy.

    OK, that's not a reason to keep Cut on. And while severely disappointed, I refuse to go negative. Let's win 3 or 4 more games this season, win a bowl game and make it an easy decision to keep Cut as coach!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  14. #434
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    A more realistic question for me is in how many of our remaining games will we be competitive in the fourth quarter. I do have a number in mind.

  15. #435
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Hard not to be pessimistic! Here are the Football Outsiders and Sagarin rankings for our schedule (minus A&T because Football Outsiders only does FBS), updated after this weekend's games. Offense and Defense rankings are from Football Outsiders. Our easiest games definitely appear to be behind us (remaining games in bold).

    http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm
    https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fplus/2021

    Team FO Rank Sagarin Rank Offense Rank Defense Rank
    Pittsburgh 13 13 21 16
    North Carolina 30 55 10 70
    Wake Forest 32 26 22 57
    Virginia 38 46 13 79
    Miami 41 69 48 41
    Virginia Tech 48 62 72 29
    Louisville 52 61 23 83
    Georgia Tech 67 70 67 60
    Northwestern 81 75 98 40
    Duke 95 110 93 91
    Charlotte 110 125 71 125
    Kansas 124 140 111 124
    Boy, we really improved UVAs defensive stats.

  16. #436
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by paris95 View Post
    Listened to the Section 17 podcast last night and they were trying to stay away from speculation about the coaching future, but wandered into it anyway. We're all assuming (maybe hoping is a better word for some) that the deal is in the works and that the conversations are happening, but I haven't seen anything definitive, and we likely won't until it actually happens so let the speculation continue. Anyway, they asked a question I've been thinking about and wanted to throw out.

    That question is (I'm making it a two parter): (a) how many wins would it take for you to think Cut should stay (assuming stay = extension b/c you can't recruit with a coach with only one year remaining ), and (b) how do you think Nina would answer question (a)?

    Their win triggers were lower than mine, and I'm sure lower than many on this board. I expect many would answer question (a) with something along the lines of "there is nothing he can do, he needs to go now, why is he even still here?" That's fine, lots of reasons for that and I'm not looking to change anyone's mind there. Of course, question (b) is the only one that really matters b/c Nina is the one that has to make the decision, if she hasn't already.

    FWIW, my answer to question (a) is 6 wins (so three more) and no losses by more than 10 points. Getting Duke to a bowl game and not getting blown out again is the minimum I would accept for believing that we've turned a corner. Hard for Duke to get in the business of firing coaches who get to bowl games. More than six wins? Seems completely unrealistic even for the biggest Cut believer around, but if that happens, give the man a few more years and let's hope the trend continues. Two more wins or less (so total of 5 on the year), combined with what we've seen over the last few seasons including this one, and it's time to make the change.

    My thought is the answer to question (b) may actually be 5 though. Winning two more games (which would be significant upsets at this point) might be enough to convince Nina that Cut has addressed some of the issues, that last year can be written off to Covid, and that we should kick this down the road a few more years and see what happens. Thoughts?
    While I tend to agree that 3 more wins and a bowl game (however unlikely) could change the calculus on this, I think the issues go beyond wins and losses. There is just a total lack of enthusiasm around the program right now - from students, older fans, the media, and frankly, the coaches and players themselves. Our crowds and TV assignments speak for themselves, and the Duke sideline rarely if ever shows much energy, activity or buzz. In good times or bad. And efforts like we saw last week against UVA, with breakdowns in just about every phase, are unfortunately not that rare anymore. I have tremendous respect for Cut and what he has done for the program, but the need for change is glaringly obvious.

  17. #437
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I also had big hopes for Scottie (past tense). Wish it had worked out better at ECU in terms of head coaching ability.
    Yeah, this.
    ďFķtbol is life!Ē ó Dani Rojas, Richmond Greyhounds

  18. #438
    Quote Originally Posted by paris95 View Post
    Listened to the Section 17 podcast last night and they were trying to stay away from speculation about the coaching future, but wandered into it anyway. We're all assuming (maybe hoping is a better word for some) that the deal is in the works and that the conversations are happening, but I haven't seen anything definitive, and we likely won't until it actually happens so let the speculation continue. Anyway, they asked a question I've been thinking about and wanted to throw out.

    That question is (I'm making it a two parter): (a) how many wins would it take for you to think Cut should stay (assuming stay = extension b/c you can't recruit with a coach with only one year remaining ), and (b) how do you think Nina would answer question (a)?

    Their win triggers were lower than mine, and I'm sure lower than many on this board. I expect many would answer question (a) with something along the lines of "there is nothing he can do, he needs to go now, why is he even still here?" That's fine, lots of reasons for that and I'm not looking to change anyone's mind there. Of course, question (b) is the only one that really matters b/c Nina is the one that has to make the decision, if she hasn't already.

    FWIW, my answer to question (a) is 6 wins (so three more) and no losses by more than 10 points. Getting Duke to a bowl game and not getting blown out again is the minimum I would accept for believing that we've turned a corner. Hard for Duke to get in the business of firing coaches who get to bowl games. More than six wins? Seems completely unrealistic even for the biggest Cut believer around, but if that happens, give the man a few more years and let's hope the trend continues. Two more wins or less (so total of 5 on the year), combined with what we've seen over the last few seasons including this one, and it's time to make the change.

    My thought is the answer to question (b) may actually be 5 though. Winning two more games (which would be significant upsets at this point) might be enough to convince Nina that Cut has addressed some of the issues, that last year can be written off to Covid, and that we should kick this down the road a few more years and see what happens. Thoughts?
    I’ll answer question (b). One more win gives us 4 total which doubles last year’s total. He then gets an extension, and I hope it’s not for more than a year. Also possible zero more wins is enough as the math is simple; 50% increase in total wins from last year.

    Kick the can and hope no one squawks.

  19. #439
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta 'burbs
    0 more wins - a resignation is worked out at the end of this year.

    1 more win - Nina has a tough decision.

    2 more wins - Cut stays next year. Any extension depends on next year.

    3 or more wins a bowl game - a one year extension.

  20. #440
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I think the die is cast as the Romans used to say. Sure, three wins could possibly change that, but I see no way that happens.
    This... and, this...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Iím only going to answer Part A.

    Bowl eligibility is the key. Finish strong with three wins over final five games to finish 6-6 followed by a win over Directional U in a bowl game. So four more wins is my answer.

    Not! Gonna! Happen! The more likely scenario is an 0-5 finish. Apologies for my pessimism.
    At this point, it's not pessimismóit's realism. What we saw at UVa was a team throwing in the towel. You just don't recover from a mid-season meltdown of that magnitude and qualify for a bowl game.

Similar Threads

  1. Duke Football 2021
    By chrishoke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1063
    Last Post: 11-18-2021, 03:45 PM
  2. Duke Softball 2021
    By BlueDevil16 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 419
    Last Post: 11-11-2021, 02:35 PM
  3. Duke Softball 2021-2022
    By BlueDevil16 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-30-2021, 06:40 PM
  4. 2021 NCAA West Regional Thread (Gonzaga, Iowa, Kansas, Virginia)
    By pfrduke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 197
    Last Post: 03-30-2021, 10:47 PM
  5. Replies: 117
    Last Post: 01-31-2015, 09:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •