Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

FB: Wake Forest 45, Duke 7

For those of you who don't read the front page.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...e-football-acc
    Last edited by Bob Green; 10-30-2021 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks, Jim. Alongside the fundamentals, Cut needs to look at the Xs and Os; Jimmys and Joes. What I saw watching last week was a breakdown of both scheme and personnel. And not just the players, the whole staff needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Thanks, Jim. Alongside the fundamentals, Cut needs to look at the Xs and Os; Jimmys and Joes. What I saw watching last week was a breakdown of both scheme and personnel. And not just the players, the whole staff needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror.
    FWIW, 16.5 pt dogs against the Deacs.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Easy money!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Easy money!
    No!

Gunnar Holmberg and Josh Blackwell meet with the media:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-demon-deacons
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Easy money!
    I'll take that wager--Duke to cover--and walk away laughing.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 10-26-2021 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Because I always laugh when I make stupid wagers. I laughed when I bought stock in Ford's "Reinvent in Edsel!" campaign.

Well I guess we impressed somebody with our performance against Bye this past weekend, up to 106 (from 110) in Sagarin and 90 (from 95) in F+. Movin' on up!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Well I guess we impressed somebody with our performance against Bye this past weekend, up to 106 (from 110) in Sagarin and 90 (from 95) in F+. Movin' on up!
    there's only one direction to go at this point. Glad the game coincides with cocktail hour.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Are they doing halftime lines now?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Not losing always helps!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

F+. I know we're bad, but I thought we were doing a little better than that. I think maybe maybe just a straight D.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Are they doing halftime lines now?
    This can definitely be interpreted a couple ways, both of which make perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    F+. I know we're bad, but I thought we were doing a little better than that. I think maybe maybe just a straight D.
    The G we got against UVA really brought down the average.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    An F+ would be pretty funny - it's "failing" but ALMOST not failing? Bahahaha. I don't think such a grade exists anywhere. (I recognize you didn't come up with it.)

I'm not saying Duke will win, or even cover the spread in this game. But don't be surprised if this one is close. For one, despite Wake's record, the numbers suggest that they are merely "pretty good." The AP poll has Wake at #13, but they're just 37th in SP+ and 35th in FPI (Duke is 85th and 96th). Moreover, Duke and Wake generally recruit the same level of athletes. This has led to some competitive games even when one team has been much better than the other.

In 2006, Wake had their best team in a generation, winning 11 games and the ACC title. They played a Duke team that went 0-12. Duke missed a chip shot field goal that would have won it, and Wake won 14-13. (Side note: this was also Thad's first game as a starter).

In 2013, Duke had its best team in a generation, winning 10 games and the Coastal title. Wake was limping to a 4-8 record in Grobe's last year (quite similar to Duke this season). Wake jumped out to a 14-0 lead (side note: I'm still mad that the officials failed to overturn a fumble recovery TD for Wake, as Isaac Blakeney was clearly down), and Duke had to come back to win 28-21.

Wake is a solid team and they have a chance at a historic season for their program. That said, they've also a bit lucky to be 7-0 given some poor defensive performances and some close wins. Their defense will bite them eventually, and if they keep playing close games, they'll eventually lose one. It probably won't happen Saturday. But it might.

^ some very good points, but I'll say right now that I WILL be very surprised if this one is close. Our very predictable offense is a good match for Wake's defense (just as it was for UVA's defense).

^Yes, agreed, I think it is possible that we could win any of our remaining games including this one (just as it was possible for us to win all the previous ones), but this Wake team looks like our kryptonite making a living off of big explosive/chunk plays.

^Yes, agreed, I think it is possible that we could win any of our remaining games including this one (just as it was possible for us to win all the previous ones), but this Wake team looks like our kryptonite making a living off of big explosive/chunk plays.
    I'm pretty sure Pitt is outside our victory range as well...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm pretty sure Pitt is outside our victory range as well...
    Wake and Pitt are both significantly better than us, but I don't see either as unbeatable per se (although I'm virtually certain we will in fact lose both, please don't take these posts as a sign of optimism).
    Last edited by Bob Green; 10-27-2021 at 05:13 PM.