Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeha View Post
    Is all that extra scaffolding just for the CTC theatrics?
    I believe so. It’s been at Countdown most years—it’s the rigging for the spotlights for the pregame show and player introductions.

Team will be loaded with guys who can take a hit. Mark Williams has improved his footwork immensely. Wendell has a sweet shake off move developing. Very much want to see Theo John be a factor. He's chiseled.

Mark is stronger and will be a major force. Best revelation to me was Keels, esp that backcourt steal off a made basket. He’s a stud with an aggressive playing style. Paolo didn’t show us his full game tonight but expecting big things. Can’t wait!

My thoughts

Overall impressions: obviously guys weren’t going all out, and with good reason. That said, I feel like we are gonna block a TON of shots this year. Both Williams and John command a serious presence inside. Perimeter play is as expected the question. We have a lot of guys who can handle it though, and that got muted in the first half as we split Keels and Roach from Moore and Banchero. But when we can have 3 or 4 of those guys together (and if Griffin can get in form, add him to that mix) that’s when things will open up. As for the individuals:

Griffin: was great seeing him at least somewhat mobile out there. He took it easy with his dance moves in what was clearly a careful move. But the fact that they were letting him dance is a good sign. I am cautiously optimistic he will be ready for the UK game, but it doesn’t seem like it will be a long-term thing.

Moore: Mostly as advertised. He appears more confident as a shooter, and the perimeter shots were going in. Still had hints of sloppiness, but I don’t expect that to go away completely. I was pleased with what I saw from him.

Banchero: He had a rough shooting night, but he is so smooth out there. And MAN was his drive and dunk eye-opening. I am not at all worried about him. The size and skills were on display, just the shot wasn’t falling.

Williams: hooo boy. The guy is a monster. He isn’t exactly polished inside offensively, but he is just SOOO tall. Defensively he is a black hole, absorbing seemingly all shots inside. Offensively, he hit some free throws, made a no-hesitation 3, and dunked a lot. He appears to be in for a big year, and should make life easier for everyone else.

Keels: clearly comfortable will the ball, and definitely showed off his willingness to shoot. He is a nice foil to Moore and Roach. And there was clearly chemistry between him and Roach as Roach got at least 3 assists to his old high school buddy.

Roach: he was able to get into the lane with regularity, but got blocked by Williams and John. Most teams won’t have as much shot blocking, so hopefully he will fair better against others. But definitely not his night as a scorer. That said, I liked his unselfishness though. He logged several assists tonight. And I really like the potential for him to throw driving lobs to one of our monster bigs.

Baker: showed a slightly more expansive shooting game, including two 12 footers in traffic and a step back 3. But otherwise was basically a more experienced Joey Baker. Which is absolutely fine for what his role will be (designated shooter).

John: he is going to be one of the best backup centers in the ACC. And I don’t say that disparagingly. The dude blocks shots and has a sneaky skill set offensively. And he is a boss. I am ecstatic about our frontcourt.

Blakes: athletic and strong, but definitely a reserve. I suspect he will see time, but will probably be the 9th man once Griffin returns, and a situational guy this year.

The rest: scrappy guys who should only see time in blowouts.

Pleased to see the team back in action. Definitely looking forward to the season!

Keels

Does Keels have much of a reputation as a 3 point shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Does Keels have much of a reputation as a 3 point shooter?
    Moreso as a scorer, but yes.

Paolo admitted after the game to having a few jitters and that contributing to him being off on his free throws and jumpers. Basically everyone but Wendell & Joey & Savarino were playing in front of the fans for the first time. K also said the team was more physically mature now than any point last season other than maybe the very end. Even though this was only their 12th practice (this counted as a practice) he felt they could play a game. He seemed pleased with what he saw.

Here’s a link to a highlights reel from the game.

Two minor notes: I’ve been mispronouncing Banchero’s name. The first syllable is “bank”, not “ban.” There’s a new surface to Coach K court. Maybe it’s new wood. Maybe they just refinished it. The area inside the three point line is a slightly different color than outside.That’s the first design change for that court in many years, perhaps decades.

Hope Theo can get that gentle one handed tear drop to fail many many times into the bucket.

Must say...Keels looks much better than anticipated.

If healthy...this is a top 5 team.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Must say...Keels looks much better than anticipated.

If healthy...this is a top 5 team.
    Keels was the story for me, too. He is big and strong and not scared.

For those of you who don't read the front page.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...s-trevor-keels

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    For those of you who don't read the front page.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...s-trevor-keels
    The comments on Mark Williams fuel my optimism but I remain concerned with outside shooting. Who can consistently stretch the defense?
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The comments on Mark Williams fuel my optimism but I remain concerned with outside shooting. Who can consistently stretch the defense?
    This, plus not sure we can be dominant with our PG play. However, our frontcourt is scary good.

There is a non-zero chance that Trevor Keels will lead this team in scoring this year. I think any of Moore, Keels, Banchero, or Williams are a threat to get 20+ on any night. That is truly a rare thing.

And though it is easy to focus on offense, I saw some really impressive defensive stuff for an early season scrimmage. Yes, we will block a lot lot lot of shots with Banchero, Williams, and John, but I thought Keels was outstanding on D and really knows how to use his strength and length to make things hard on opposing guards. Poor Blakes could barely get the ball across half court against him in the second game.

Watched the scrimmages on my phone so I couldn’t really see faces and as is the case with new teams, I didn’t really know numbers completely yet. 0, 13 and 15 not withstanding. Anyway, long way to say I kept thinking as I watched, “Who the heck is #1?” Keels is the reals deals.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post

Two minor notes: I’ve been mispronouncing Banchero’s name. The first syllable is “bank”, not “ban.” There’s a new surface to Coach K court. Maybe it’s new wood. Maybe they just refinished it. The area inside the three point line is a slightly different color than outside.That’s the first design change for that court in many years, perhaps decades.
    Not really.

there have been several changes, not including those mandated by the rules in the past decade. Center court has changed at least twice, once to remove the basketball hoop from inside the iron D, and once to move from a smaller blue iron D in a small white circle to a white iron D in the larger blue circle. Further, the "DUKE" text on the baselines was significantly shrunk so it would not be partially covered by the photographers sitting on the end line.

If my memory serves correctly, they replace the floor ~every other year, and refinish it each offseason.
    1200. DDMF.

All reports I've seen say that Keels really played well. Question: can he defend against guards, given his size?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post

Minor quibble: Banchero is an Italian name (means banker). It is pronounced something like “bahn-KEH-ro”. The “an” sounds more like “on”. But yeah, the ch makes a k sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Keels can shoot, and I expect Moore and Roach will surprise some with their shooting. And if we need a floor spacer in a particular point in a game, Baker will be the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    All reports I've seen say that Keels really played well. Question: can he defend against guards, given his size?
    It is a question TBD. But I would expect him to be not superlative on defense. He did look quicker than one might expect given his 6’4”, 220lb frame. But perimeter defense is hard to judge in a setting like last night.