Front Page article - Duke/Maryland rivalry in early 2000's - Washington Post

I didn't think I saw this on the forums. Front page article on the Duke/Maryland rivalry in 2000-2002 from a Washington Post documentary.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...juan-dixon-acc

I really enjoyed the documentary. I lived through that era... and really liked it.

https://youtu.be/jKEy-QuaToo

That was a really fun, competitive stretch. It definitely produced some great moments and memorable villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    That was a really fun, competitive stretch. It definitely produced some great moments and memorable villains.
    It really was. That was during my time at Duke and while I of course loved the UNC games, the ways we beat Maryland during the 2001 season were just delicious!

Will definitely check that out. Thanks for the link!

That was great. So many fantastic memories from that year. It reminds me how thankful I am that my wife and I and our 14 year old son attended that wonderful ACC Tournament in Atlanta.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Perhaps, but I could never muster up animosity towards Juan Dixon. Always respected the hell out of him.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Perhaps, but I could never muster up animosity towards Juan Dixon. Always respected the hell out of him.
    Maybe foil is the better word. Heel (ick)? I really enjoyed Greivis Vasquez and the "feud" he had with the Crazies.

Edit: Their fans, on the other hand...

IMHO the rivalry actually peaked in 1984. I still have the referenced t-shirt in my closet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-a30cf8817232/

Rich, I totally agree. Two of my favorite ACC non-Duke players are Len Bias and Juan Dixon. Those 2001 battles were epic. I didn't even dislike Gary Williams. I think he did what he had to do to be relevant and indeed they were.

Some of his teammates were villainous enough to make up for it!

Honestly, for myself, I didn't have nearly as much hate for the Maryland players as I did for their horrible rotten fans. Why would I hate their players? They couldn't beat us when it counted.

The fans though - reprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    Rich, I totally agree. Two of my favorite ACC non-Duke players are Len Bias and Juan Dixon. Those 2001 battles were epic. I didn't even dislike Gary Williams. I think he did what he had to do to be relevant and indeed they were.
    I actually liked Gary Williams. Underrated coach IMHO, and his sarcastic, perpetual chip on the shoulder personality was perfect for that school and fanbase. The program certainly fell off after the peaks of the early 2000s, but for a brief period of time, I do believe they displaced Carolina as our primary rival.

Those were some great teams. The documentary is pretty good, although the failure to mention Boozer’s injury seems calculated. Either way, it pales in comparison to Return to Glory. Hope we get more episodes soon.

Yep.

Only guy I remember disliking strongly was Byron Mouton. Dude would have little to no impact on the game, then hit a three, and do this ridiculously clownish move where he'd do a kind of skip-hop while bobbing his head and placing his hands kind of behind his ears. He just looked like such a buffoon but still deserving of having his rump whipped.