Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    It was frustrating watching that game on Duke's campus, but not as bad as Uconn '04...
    Ahhh, UConn ‘04. Has there ever been a worse-officiated Final Four game?

I’ll bet Shavlik Randolph still has such strong PTSD from that game that he’s afraid his wife is going to call a foul on him if he rolls over in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I've seen some articles make reference to these players as journeymen, not NBA stars. Well, here are the career earnings (from NBA contracts, not counting any overseas contracts) for the indicted players:

Darius Miles - $62 mil
    Tony Allen - $41 mil
    Ruben Patterson - $37 mil
    Glen Davis - $34 mil
    Sebastian Telfair - $19 mil
    Shannon Brown - $17 mil
    Melvin Eli - $13 mil
    Terrence Williams - $7 mil
    Jamario Moon - $7 mil
    Tony Wroten - $6 mil

Yeah, ain't shedding a single tear for any of these lawbreakers.
    Question about how we think about these salary numbers: are agent’s commissions taken out pre- or post-tax? Does Tony Wroten (who?) pay income taxes on $6mm and his agent on $6mm, or does he get to offset his taxable income with the commission he had to pay his agent?
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Greg Smith's is even more ridiculous when you add the fact it was for root canals and crowns for eight (!!!) teeth. You don't even need the fact he was balling in Taiwan to set off the fraud alarm bells on that one.

See that Big Baby had the same number of root canals and crowns, on the same teeth, on the same day, in LA, at the same place? And he wasn’t in LA that day either. So whose teeth were operated on??
    Last edited by -jk; 10-07-2021 at 08:47 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    See that Big Baby had the same number of root canals and crowns, on the same teeth, on the same day, in LA, at the same place? And he wasn’t in LA that day either. So whose teeth were operated on??
    If Big Baby had been a UNC athlete I would have said "tutor."
    Last edited by -jk; 10-07-2021 at 08:48 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I've seen some articles make reference to these players as journeymen, not NBA stars. Well, here are the career earnings (from NBA contracts, not counting any overseas contracts) for the indicted players:

Tony Wroten - $6 mil

Yeah, ain't shedding a single tear for any of these lawbreakers.
    No tears, but I am sorry to see this name on the list. I went to high school with his dad. He seemed like a nice enough guy, from the little I knew of him.

DBR favorite Russell Westbrook is the subject of a documentary premiering Friday on Showtime:

For those of you who have reserved Friday night for Countdown to Craziness, it's also On Demand, and I'm sure it will air a few more times this weekend. Aside from the occasional theatrical movie, the only things I've watched on Showtime recently are the documentaries: Basketball County, Shut Up and Dribble, The Go-Go's, Rick James. I see there are also docs about coach Dean Smith and the band New Order; I'll definitely try to watch one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Question about how we think about these salary numbers: are agent’s commissions taken out pre- or post-tax? Does Tony Wroten (who?) pay income taxes on $6mm and his agent on $6mm, or does he get to offset his taxable income with the commission he had to pay his agent?
    Does it make much of a difference in this context? $6MM or $5.4MM? But to answer the question, yes, they can write off agent fees as a business expense. So they are taxed at 90% of their salary. So Wroten earned $6MM, paid probably $0.6MM to his agent, and (assuming he claimed his deductions correctly) got taxed on $5.4MM minus whatever other deductions he had.

Ben Simmons returns to practicing with Sixers as a full participant
    https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/nba-...-20211017.html

Someone here called it! Ben is back... but is it for good? Many questions.
    Is he just enduring the situation until he can be traded?
    Will he play in the first game against the Pelicans on Wednesday?
    Will his teammates accept him back with no hard feelings?
    Will the fans accept him back without constant boos?
    Time will tell...

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post

Time will tell...
    The Philadelphia fans are known to be quite forgiving, I’m sure there won’t be any hard feeling from them towards Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    The Philadelphia fans are known to be quite forgiving, I’m sure there won’t be any hard feeling from them towards Ben.
    Simmons may yet give Kyrie a run for his money.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32430529/philadelphia-76ers-suspend-ben-simmons-their-season-opener

The Nets are down by 7 at Milwaukee. Yes I know the Bucks are the defending champs and the game is on the road, but you would think that with Kevin Durant, James Harden, and Kyrie Irving the Nets would be able to……..oh wait…….

It was fun watching the two opening night games. As others have mentioned Grayson looks like he fits in great on the Bucks. I like KD but it's hard to root for a team with Harden on it (even though I'm proud of the Nets for not playing KI).

Watching the GSW play is just great. The way they move the ball, it's just how basketball is supposed to be played. I'm looking forward to seeing what their ceiling is if Klay comes back and plays well. They beat the Lakers despite Curry having an off shooting night (I think he was 5-21). He ended up with a triple double but he missed shots he normally makes. The Lakers only have a few (3 I think) players from last year's roster. I suspect teams should get their wins in against the Lakers early in the season before they gel.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    It was fun watching the two opening night games. As others have mentioned Grayson looks like he fits in great on the Bucks. I like KD but it's hard to root for a team with Harden on it (even though I'm proud of the Nets for not playing KI).

Watching the GSW play is just great. The way they move the ball, it's just how basketball is supposed to be played. I'm looking forward to seeing what their ceiling is if Klay comes back and plays well. They beat the Lakers despite Curry having an off shooting night (I think he was 5-21). He ended up with a triple double but he missed shots he normally makes. The Lakers only have a few (3 I think) players from last year's roster. I suspect teams should get their wins in against the Lakers early in the season before they gel.
    Yeah the Warriors played without Klay, Wiseman and top draft pick Kuminga, who I actually think won't be an impact player this year, but still.

As for the Lakers, yeah they may take some time to gel. But they're also one of the oldest teams in the history of the NBA. As the season goes on, we'll see how many of these guys even last . . .

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I am not sure there is a current player higher on the NBA nerd love meter than GSW's Jordan Poole.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Yeah the Warriors played without Klay, Wiseman and top draft pick Kuminga, who I actually think won't be an impact player this year, but still.

As for the Lakers, yeah they may take some time to gel. But they're also one of the oldest teams in the history of the NBA. As the season goes on, we'll see how many of these guys even last . . .
    I think Lebron's window is about closed. The Lakers are not built for the playoffs.

They will probably have a parade for him.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    They will probably have a parade for him.
    They'll shower him with b̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶i̶e̶s̶ b̶o̶t̶t̶l̶e̶s̶ b̶e̶e̶r̶ b̶r̶i̶c̶k̶s̶ bouquets.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post

Good points about Wiseman and Kuminga. Having Klay and Wiseman in the lineup is going to be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I am not sure there is a current player higher on the NBA nerd love meter than GSW's Jordan Poole.
    I could see that. He played well last night.

I think Lebron's window is about closed. The Lakers are not built for the playoffs.
    I don't disagree. And like tommy said above, the Lakers are a very old team. I never find myself rooting for Lebron but I'm not counting him out until he retires. Last season, they were too injured to win in the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened again this year.

One thing that's interesting is that the Eastern conference of the NBA might be equal to or stronger than the West for the first time in a long time.

I hope your ability to predict things is on the level of Nostrodamus!! 🤞

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post

Time will tell...
    From what I’ve heard Ben Simmons’s return to practice did not go so well, and that’s an understatement.

Head coach Doc Rivers kicked him out of practice for conduct detrimental to the team. 😕