Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    BravesWinBravesWinBravesWinBravesWin!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    That's really the other thread, this one is only a a week old. And if the Dodgers are out tonight, that will be it for me.
    Fair to say we would be on page 12 if the Cards were alive? Go Braves! Sorry Wilson.

Congratulations to the Atlanta Braves on their win over the Milwaukee Brewers last night. Now waiting for the winner of the LA Dodgers-SF Giants game on Thursday. The Dodgers won last night 7-2 to even the series. Julio Urias goes for the Dodgers and Logan Webb is on the hill for the Giants. I'm hoping the Giants win and then the Braves beat them. I want to see a Braves-Astros World Series with the Braves coming out on top.

Braves still have the longest odds of winning the World Series. Here are the futures odds, as of today:

Houston Astros +200 (2 to 1)
    Los Angeles Dodgers +350 (3.5 to 1)
    Boston Red Sox +400 (4 to 1)
    San Francisco Giants +450 (4.5 to 1)
    Atlanta Braves +500 (5 to 1)
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I may be wrong, but yesterday's Braves uniforms looked identical to those that Warren Spahn and Eddie Matthew's wore in Milwaukee. ( I can't remember the Boston Braves unis in the 1940s.) A very classic look.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I may be wrong, but yesterday's Braves uniforms looked identical to those that Warren Spahn and Eddie Matthew's wore in Milwaukee. ( I can't remember the Boston Braves unis in the 1940s.) A very classic look.
    Back when the Braves prayed for rain every 3 days...

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    ...Go Braves (sorry Wilson).
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    ...Go Braves! Sorry Wilson.
    Hah! Thanks, y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Braves still have the longest odds of winning the World Series. Here are the futures odds, as of today:

Houston Astros +200 (2 to 1)
    Los Angeles Dodgers +350 (3.5 to 1)
    Boston Red Sox +400 (4 to 1)
    San Francisco Giants +450 (4.5 to 1)
    Atlanta Braves +500 (5 to 1)
    I don't think I buy these odds. If I were a Barves fan (which I'm NOT), I wouldn't be at all afraid of the Giants. They have a little bit of a smoke-and-mirrors feel to me...can't quite figure out how that roster won 107 games. As for the Dodgers, they're still formidable on paper, but Kershaw seems to be not quite right and the gap between them and the rest of the NL seems narrower than in recent seasons. Much as it pains me, I think this is the Barves' best chance to blow a World Series in a couple of decades.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Hah! Thanks, y'all.

I don't think I buy these odds. If I were a Barves fan (which I'm NOT), I wouldn't be at all afraid of the Giants. They have a little bit of a smoke-and-mirrors feel to me...can't quite figure out how that roster won 107 games. As for the Dodgers, they're still formidable on paper, but Kershaw seems to be not quite right and the gap between them and the rest of the NL seems narrower than in recent seasons. Much as it pains me, I think this is the Barves' best chance to blow a World Series in a couple of decades.
    Dodgers have an all star team pitching and hitting. Scared to death of them but not the Giants.

Hah! Thanks, y'all.

Much as it pains me, I think this is the Barves' best chance to blow a World Series in a couple of decades.
    I may literally be the only sports fan who thinks this way, but Atlanta never choked away a championship. Duke has never choked away a national championship. Duke has won five titles and Atlanta has won one title. Both are incredibly fortunate to have those titles. Basically this comes from my father coaching high school basketball for 31 years. He won a single State title during those years and I was fortunate enough to be on that team. But he didn't have 30 years of failure and one successful year. He coached for 31 years and won a title.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Methinks the astonishing Red Sox need a little love in this thread. How did this team make the ALCS? How? Boston has had a summer long love/hate affair with the 2021 Sox. All is forgiven, hate is forgotten, and they are playing with house money. Nobody around here though they'd get this far in August, nobody.

I may literally be the only sports fan who thinks this way, but Atlanta never choked away a championship. Duke has never choked away a national championship. Duke has won five titles and Atlanta has won one title. Both are incredibly fortunate to have those titles. Basically this comes from my father coaching high school basketball for 31 years. He won a single State title during those years and I was fortunate enough to be on that team. But he didn't have 30 years of failure and one successful year. He coached for 31 years and won a title.
    The Braves choked away a title in 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Methinks the astonishing Red Sox need a little love in this thread. How did this team make the ALCS? How? Boston has had a summer long love/hate affair with the 2021 Sox. All is forgiven, hate is forgotten, and they are playing with house money. Nobody around here though they'd get this far in August, nobody.
    I don't care about baseball anymore, but I still can't stand the Red Sox.

Back when the Braves prayed for rain every 3 days...
    Burdett & Spahn.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I don't care about baseball anymore, but I still can't stand the Red Sox.
    But all of the worst Red Sox leave to become Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    But all of the worst Red Sox leave to become Yankees.
    Well I can't stand the Yankees either.

[1] I don't think I buy these odds... [2] Kershaw seems to be not quite right...
    [2] Kershaw is injured (elbow/forearm), won’t pitch again this season, period, even if the Dodgers make it to the WS.

[1] I’m perplexed by the odds, specifically why they seem to say the Dodgers are favored to beat the Giants in their deciding Game 5 tomorrow night. The Giants’ pitcher, Logan Webb, totally dominated the Dodgers in Game 1, striking out 10. I’d have thought the Giants might be slight favorites at home in Game 5.

Because I really don’t know how odds work, and especially since this set of odds incorporates teams at different stages of the playoffs, I wonder whether the WS odds for Giants-Dodgers are skewed by the possibility that the Dodgers’ chances against Braves-then-Astros/Sox are better than the Giants’ chances against those teams.

The Braves choked away a title in 1996.
    Nope. They lost.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    [2] Kershaw is injured (elbow/forearm), won’t pitch again this season, period, even if the Dodgers make it to the WS.
    Hah, well I had missed that news. All the more reason not to buy those odds and not to think these Dodgers are up to recent seasons' snuff.

[1] I’m perplexed by the odds, specifically why they seem to say the Dodgers are favored to beat the Giants in their deciding Game 5 tomorrow night. The Giants’ pitcher, Logan Webb, totally dominated the Dodgers in Game 1, striking out 10. I’d have thought the Giants might be slight favorites at home in Game 5.
    This, for sure.

Because I really don’t know how odds work, and especially since this set of odds incorporates teams at different stages of the playoffs, I wonder whether the WS odds for Giants-Dodgers are skewed by the possibility that the Dodgers’ chances against Braves-then-Astros/Sox are better than the Giants’ chances against those teams.
    I think your interpretation is probably correct here, but I am not much of a betting man either and don't pretend to know how those determinations are made.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Burdett & Spahn.
    Spahn and Sain and pray for rain.

That’s exactly what Fangraphs thinks. Giants are slight favorites tomorrow, but Dodgers are much more likely to win it all.