Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I never tell anyone what they should be offended by. That was the last sentence in my post that you replied to.
    Great! We agree. We just take different paths to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

(Also I'm pretty sure the CEO guy referred to Niekro and Aaron, as "boys," which is not a good look when you're referring to any Black man, much less pretty much the most revered one in Georgia history).
    Ok but MLK and The Godfather of Soul are at least in the running for it.

In addition to what MtnDevil said about trinkets at the Qualla Boundary, and what Wilson--who's basically got my proxy here--said about the Braves,

The Cardinals were eliminated in the WC game, and given my historical ties to Georgia, I never considered rooting for anyone remaining but Atlanta, even a Pujolsed-up Los Angeles.

This was very unsatisfying, though. When they won, I felt...nearly nothing championshippy. Compare this to what I felt when the the Blues won in 2019, or Mississippi State this June, and it was about like the mail came on a Tuesdayin July. You're glad to see it, but.

And it was just plain stomach churning to hear the stupid chant in Houston. It's bad enough at home. If you want to act like clowns in your own house, that's one thing. But to pull this out in the waning moments of the ninth, on the road, cementing the first title in a generation--this is what you want the nation to remember about your 2021 title. Wow. And it's not even catchy. It's just white people with bad intonation.

(Also I'm pretty sure the CEO guy referred to Niekro and Aaron, as "boys," which is not a good look when you're referring to any Black man, much less pretty much the most revered one in Georgia history).
    I have been trying really hard to respond to the last sentence of this message in a way that won't get me banned but I can't. So I will just say that I am an Upper West Side straight-line Democrat and I think you are really stretching it in looking for things to be offended by, and you might want to take some ownership for what happened to the Democrats yesterday.

I will also say that I expressed skepticism earlier in this thread about the Braves pitching decisions. I still wonder about it but I will be adult enough to admit that it worked out well for them and I was wrong. For a variety of reasons that I won't go into I really don't like the Braves as an organization, but I generally like the individuals on the team and congratulate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I see the plastic tomahawks sold in Cherokee as a desperate act of an impoverished people - not as an insinuated approval.
    Yes and empowering good ol' boys who are looking for an excuse to keep chopping.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    But if you are a selling plastic tomahawks to tourists I’m unsympathetic to your racial misappropriation outrage about a baseball teams and tomahawk chops.
    Just because Hollywood dug up one guy willing to do a sambo-the-butler song and dance bit to get his five minutes of fame and a few bucks, doesn't mean that Sidney Poitier isn't out there wanting a lead role.

There is more than one sentiment among the millions of Native Americans still living in this country in 2021. If a small and vocal portion of them want us to cool it with the mascots and chopping, that's good enough for me.

And it was just plain stomach churning to hear the stupid chant in Houston. It's bad enough at home. If you want to act like clowns in your own house, that's one thing. But to pull this out in the waning moments of the ninth, on the road, cementing the first title in a generation--this is what you want the nation to remember about your 2021 title. Wow. And it's not even catchy. It's just white people with bad intonation.
    The scum I was referring to.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post

I actually just assumed you were talking about me. And I thought you made a valid point about me.

Yes and empowering good ol' boys who are looking for an excuse to keep chopping.

Just because Hollywood dug up one guy willing to do a sambo-the-butler song and dance bit to get his five minutes of fame and a few bucks, doesn't mean that Sidney Poitier isn't out there wanting a lead role.

There is more than one sentiment among the millions of Native Americans still living in this country in 2021. If a small and vocal portion of them want us to cool it with the mascots and chopping, that's good enough for me.

Well everyone has an opinion. I’m not bothered by yours but you express it as if it were a definitive proclamation. Despite your Fatwa, my opinion in unchanged. A Brave is a fierce Indian warrior. Inevitably they used tomahawks in battle. I see no slight to Indians. I would rather viewed as a fierce warrior than a hypersensitive victim. So I would say to native Americans, in my most humble opinion, you are welcome to your outrage but you will live longer and be happier if you lighten up.

Knowing a lot of AfAm opera singers, I've learned a lot about the particular nuances of, for example, the love/hate relationship singers have with Porgy and Bess.

You'll see the issue dealt with in current reviews, of course. But Porgy's such a mixed blessing, a jobs program with a zillion roles for singers, that white people cannot steal until the copyright lapses, but also an uncomfortable swamp of foregrounding The Struggle above all else for a mostly-white audience. This much should be obvious, I suppose, but a lot of the little nuances of that have attuned me to stuff I didn't know was going on.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine