Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Does anyone really know what to expect when Joe West is behind the plate?
    MLB doubling down on the “wild card” concept

With apologies to the (many, apparently) Cardinals fans on this board, that NL Wild Card game was awesome. Far superior to the AL version. Drama in almost every inning, big plays and pitching performances throughout, and then a walkoff from a guy in a HUGE slump.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I fell asleep in the middle of the 9th! Ah well, perhaps better to wake up finding out the Dodgers had walked it off rather than to watch it. Sorry to the devoted Cards fans, but that was one heck of a ride.

Cardinals wild ride in 2021 ends in heartbreaking fashion in LA

Well, all good things must come to an end. And that’s what happened to the 2021 season of the Cardinals last night. Tied 1-1 in the bottom of the 9th inning, Chris Taylor hit a walk off 2-run HR off Alex Reyes to send the Dodgers to the NLDS vs the Giants and send the Cardinals home to St. Louis. Congratulations to the Dodgers for a well played game. The Cardinals scratched a run off Max Scherzer in the 1st inning and had opportunities for more, but they could never seem to get a clutch hit with runners in scoring position. In fact, they were 0-11 with runners in scoring position. Their only run was scored on a wild pitch. Adam Wainwright pitched his heart out as he’s done all season long (5.1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BBs, 5 Ks), and really battled in some tough situations during his start. A season that included the Cardinals longest winning streak in franchise history came to a screeching halt in a gut wrenching manner. This one hurts right now, as I thought this team had what it took for a long ride into October. That’s baseball, though. Just a month or so ago, this team had a 2.9% chance to even make the playoffs and they battled to get a shot at the Dodgers. It just wasn’t meant to be this year. It was surely a fun ride, though. Now, one of the hardest things about being a fan of any team, having to wait 6 months to see them play meaningful games again. Well, congratulations again to the Dodgers and hopefully they give us an entertaining series versus the Giants. Until next season …

Let’s Go Cardinals!

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    With apologies to the (many, apparently) Cardinals fans on this board, that NL Wild Card game was awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Sorry to the devoted Cards fans, but that was one heck of a ride.
    As a lifelong Dodgers fan and former Reds season ticket holder, very happy with last night's result. Would have enjoyed a Pujols walkoff but maybe against the Giants?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Well, all good things must come to an end. And that’s what happened to the 2021 season of the Cardinals last night. Tied 1-1 in the bottom of the 9th inning, Chris Taylor hit a walk off 2-run HR off Alex Reyes to send the Dodgers to the NLDS vs the Giants and send the Cardinals home to St. Louis. Congratulations to the Dodgers for a well played game. The Cardinals scratched a run off Max Scherzer in the 1st inning and had opportunities for more, but they could never seem to get a clutch hit with runners in scoring position. In fact, they were 0-11 with runners in scoring position. Their only run was scored on a wild pitch. Adam Wainwright pitched his heart out as he’s done all season long (5.1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BBs, 5 Ks), and really battled in some tough situations during his start. A season that included the Cardinals longest winning streak in franchise history came to a screeching halt in a gut wrenching manner. This one hurts right now, as I thought this team had what it took for a long ride into October. That’s baseball, though. Just a month or so ago, this team had a 2.9% chance to even make the playoffs and they battled to get a shot at the Dodgers. It just wasn’t meant to be this year. It was surely a fun ride, though. Now, one of the hardest things about being a fan of any team, having to wait 6 months to see them play meaningful games again. Well, congratulations again to the Dodgers and hopefully they give us an entertaining series versus the Giants. Until next season …

Let’s Go Cardinals!
    Yes, the 17 game winning streak that got the Cards into the playoffs was magical. My heart went out to Alex Reyes who gave up the walk off homer to Taylor. Alex has battled his way back from some series injuries in his career. He was the top prospect in the Cardinal organization a few years ago and I hope he can rebound from this. Adam Wainwright was quick to console him after the game and said we wouldn't be here without Alex Reyes. It will be a long offseason for the young man, that's for sure. Now I can't wait for the post season to be over so The Hot Stove Season can begin. I'm hoping the Cards sign on of the FA shortstops and a top of the line starter. Not a time to go cheap Mr. Mozeliak.
    GoRedbirds and God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Yes, the 17 game winning streak that got the Cards into the playoffs was magical. My heart went out to Alex Reyes who gave up the walk off homer to Taylor. Alex has battled his way back from some series injuries in his career. He was the top prospect in the Cardinal organization a few years ago and I hope he can rebound from this. Adam Wainwright was quick to console him after the game and said we wouldn't be here without Alex Reyes. It will be a long offseason for the young man, that's for sure. Now I can't wait for the post season to be over so The Hot Stove Season can begin. I'm hoping the Cards sign on of the FA shortstops and a top of the line starter. Not a time to go cheap Mr. Mozeliak.
    GoRedbirds and God bless.
    Mozeliak does tend to engage in dumpster diving. Occasionally he finds something worthwhile; Happ and Lester came in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Mozeliak does tend to engage in dumpster diving. Occasionally he finds something worthwhile; Happ and Lester came in handy.
    That's a pretty accurate description of how President of Operations, John Mozeliak builds teams. I used to call it signing or trading for "the over the hill gang". It seems MO is more interested in saving the owner $$$$$$$$ but I have to commend him for staying with the young outfielders as they seem to have started to come into their own. However, acquiring pitching has not been his strong suit . The vets, Happ and Lester did help the team because the pitchers they replaced couldn't find the strike zone and they sat records for walks, especially bases loaded walks.

Good umpiring news

West is terrible, but he isn't even close to being the worst MLB ump in my lifetime; that's Angel Hernandez.
    Joe West is retiring!

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/v...ild-card-game/

Well

The guy the Nats got for Lester, Lane Thomas, was quite good. Nats fans are trying to figure out they managed to get anything for Lester, let alone a player who looks to be a decent player for the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Did he make the decision while standing there on national TV with headphones on, listening to whether to call out a base runner running back to first?
    Carolina delenda est

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Did he make the decision while standing there on national TV with headphones on, listening to whether to call out a base runner running back to first?
    How did you know? MLB asked West if he was retiring and West said no, so they told him to put the headset on and replay officials told Joe he’s retiring.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    The guy the Nats got for Lester, Lane Thomas, was quite good. Nats fans are trying to figure out they managed to get anything for Lester, let alone a player who looks to be a decent player for the next few years.
    Lane was originally signed by Toronto in 2014. The Blue Jays traded him to the Cardinals for cash considerations in July, 2017. He spent most of 2018 in Springfield(AA) and Memphis(AAA). In early 2019, shuttled between Memphis and St. Louis he hit very well, mostly as 4th outfielder and pinch hitter. The future looked bright for Lane. Then he suffered a broken wrist(HBP) in September 2019 and was placed on the 60 day IR. In 2020 he got a chance to be the 4th outfielder but he couldn't get the job done. It looks like he found his stroke with the Nats. I wish him well, just not when he's playing against the Cards.

Amazing how quickly this thread went to sleep after the Cards were eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    I had a Teams call with the head of our Sacramento office today and he was proudly sporting his Oracle Park background. We had to agree to disagree with how absolutely wonderful and awe-inspiring his Giants are, but we at least settled on where the Dodgers can go, along with the horses they rode in on.

Go Braves (sorry Wilson).
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    I may have jokingly referred to this as Cardinals Baseball Report over the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I may have jokingly referred to this as Cardinals Baseball Report over the summer.
    That's really the other thread, this one is only a a week old. And if the Dodgers are out tonight, that will be it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    That's really the other thread, this one is only a a week old. And if the Dodgers are out tonight, that will be it for me.
    Yes, I’ve been rooting for Dodgers, solely because of Scherzer. If they’re out, I may not pay much attention.

The Dodgers are evil incarnate and should hopefully be appropriately consigned to flames tonight. Not that I have much interest in the game or anything.

Long time Cardinals fan, but here in Richmond we have the Flying Squirrels - AA farm team of the Giants. So, rooting for the Giants now.

Plus, they’re not the dodgers or red sox.