Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Sorry to rain on your parade. But from where I sit, it's cheaters against tomahawk choppers. I hope I can stop throwing up between now and Opening Day.
    To each his own.

Rosario was pretty darned good though.
    Last edited by camion; 10-24-2021 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    To each his own.

Rosario was pretty darned good though.
    Oh yes he was.

Congratulations Atlanta Braves. Most people even me thought their season was over when Acuna went down but those guys thought otherwise. Then management helped the team at the trade deadline and here we are.
    I know most baseball fans hate the Astros for the sign stealing and and I'm still not happy that it happened. However, cheating has gone on in baseball for many years. Spit balls, tar and other foreign substance on all three pieces of equipment(bat, ball & glove) needed to play the game. As for the tomahawk chop, to me it's no different than the "wave".

GoBraves in 4 games. I want the season to end so the Cardinals can get them a manager and add a few pieces to the 2022 roster.

On August 1, the Braves lost to the Brewers to drop to 52-55. 107 games into the season, we were below.500 and sitting in 3rd place in MLB’s weakest division, having lost our best hitter and our best pitcher for the season.

Less than three months later we’re in the WS.

What an amazing turnaround. Alex A. will rightly get a ton of credit for his deadline remaking of the OF, but huge kudos to the players who hung in there when they could have folded, and to Snitker who kept them playing hard every day. He’s underrated as a tactician - the decision to PH for Anderson in the 4th probably decided the game.

ah, well, so we get the cheating Astros vs the team that doesn't want to play in front of its own citizens...good matchup!

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    On August 1, the Braves lost to the Brewers to drop to 52-55. 107 games into the season, we were below.500 and sitting in 3rd place in MLB’s weakest division, having lost our best hitter and our best pitcher for the season.

Less than three months later we’re in the WS.

What an amazing turnaround. Alex A. will rightly get a ton of credit for his deadline remaking of the OF, but huge kudos to the players who hung in there when they could have folded, and to Snitker who kept them playing hard every day. He’s underrated as a tactician - the decision to PH for Anderson in the 4th probably decided the game.
    Getting hot and staying hot are such weird things in sports. Playing with a ton of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Getting hot and staying hot are such weird things in sports. Playing with a ton of confidence.
    They’re definitely hot but I think they assembled a good team with the pieces they added. Like I don’t think this is some lucky, miracle run. Duvall, Peterson, Soler, and Rosario are legit major league players. So adding that much talent to the mix is the difference. That’s a pretty dang good outfield and had we started the season with those guys I fully believe we would have won the division. This Braves team is a dangerous lineup.

Well

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    They’re definitely hot but I think they assembled a good team with the pieces they added. Like I don’t think this is some lucky, miracle run. Duvall, Peterson, Soler, and Rosario are legit major league players. So adding that much talent to the mix is the difference. That’s a pretty dang good outfield and had we started the season with those guys I fully believe we would have won the division. This Braves team is a dangerous lineup.
    They are legit major leaguers, but none are particularly great or even very good. Hot at the right time, though, especially Rosario. He's been amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    They are legit major leaguers, but none are particularly great or even very good. Hot at the right time, though, especially Rosario. He's been amazing.
    Pitching to Rosario in his homer at bat last night was sort of like a heat check in basketball.

Yep. He's still smokin'.

I agree. They are playing like all stars for sure. But this is not what they have been historically as individuals. And I don't care! Enjoying the ride.

Jorge Soler hit 48 homers two years ago. Rosario hit 32 in 2019 and drove in over 100. Adam Duvall almost hit 40 home runs this year. Joc Pederson is a well known post season performer.

Jorge Soler hit 48 homers two years ago. Rosario hit 32 in 2019 and drove in over 100. Adam Duvall almost hit 40 home runs this year. Joc Pederson is a well known post season performer.
    Joctober!

Plus there's no place for facts in the already agreed upon narrative in my head. Watch yourself.

All true

The stats you cite are correct, of course, but it would be easy to counter them. For example, Soler was below replacement level this season, Rosario for his career has produced about 5% more offense than the average MLB hitter, which is not great for a corner OF, Duvall didn't do much except hit HRs this season (.282 OBP), and Pederson has been a weak hitter the last two years. But they are all doing well this postseason.

The stats you cite are correct, of course, but it would be easy to counter them. For example, Soler was below replacement level this season, Rosario for his career has produced about 5% more offense than the average MLB hitter, which is not great for a corner OF, Duvall didn't do much except hit HRs this season (.282 OBP), and Pederson has been a weak hitter the last two years. But they are all doing well this postseason.
    Baseball has become HR centered and stats show many times the teams that hit the most homers win. It was pretty true in this series and those guys can all hit them. If you go 1 for 5 and hit a three run homer your average is terrible but production is great.

Eddie Rosario is the only one of those guys playing above his head. Duvall had a pretty typical Duvall series. He hit a homer, had a couple of RBIs, played decent defense, and hit for a low average.

I would be fully comfortable with those 4 outfielders starting the season for the Braves and would expect them to be the favorite going into the series.

The narrative is not how are those guys playing well, its how was AA able to get those guys. It's not like Rafeal Belliard came in and hit three homers in a series. These guys are decent players.

Baseball has become HR centered and stats show many times the teams that hit the most homers win. It was pretty true in this series and those guys can all hit them. If you go 1 for 5 and hit a three run homer your average is terrible but production is great.

Eddie Rosario is the only one of those guys playing above his head. Duvall had a pretty typical Duvall series. He hit a homer, had a couple of RBIs, played decent defense, and hit for a low average.

I would be fully comfortable with those 4 outfielders starting the season for the Braves and would expect them to be the favorite going into the series.

The narrative is not how are those guys playing well, its how was AA able to get those guys. It's not like Rafeal Belliard came in and hit three homers in a series. These guys are decent players.
    Rosario was playing above everyone's head in this series. It's unlikely he'll hit .560 in the next series, but that's okay. I'd settle for .460.

Rosario was playing above everyone's head in this series. It's unlikely he'll hit .560 in the next series, but that's okay. I'd settle for .460.
    It is good to manage your expectations.

Should have set the record for hits in series last night. Crushed one in the 9th but Bellinger made a play on it.

Love the vibe here in Atlanta - the party was going on at the battery past the wee hours of the morning. Friends who were at the game said the atmosphere was electric and having WaHo in the press box for Plaschke we great (and from my perspective, Plaschke made a giant fool of himself with his self righteous coverage of the Braves). I'm always a hug Braves fan, and this team is as likeable as any that I can recall. The infield is homegrown, the outfield was put together with spit and bubble gum and the bullpen consists of a bunch of also rans (Matzek was out of baseball in 2017, Luke Jackson should have been out of baseball after last year, Minter spent an extended period in the minor leagues this year because of control issues, and Will Smith was a roller coaster for most of the year) - Fried was effective game 1 but the bullpen otherwise carried this team.

I'm fully expecting that we Atlanta all over ourselves in the WS, but its been a fun ride to get here.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

It's funny how memory plays tricks. I had a memory of Brian Snitker playing for the Bulls back in the day, and that memory was of a multi-year presence as a player. I was curious what players he played with, so I looked him up at StatsCrew and found out that he only had a cup of coffee in 1980 (the first year the Bulls returned to Durham), playing in 3 games and going 2-for-10 at the bat, after which he was released and then kept on as a roving instructor. I suspect I was maybe confusing his playing time with his instructor time and later as manager of the Bulls in '83 and '84. I am amazed at his longevity with the program, having been associated with the Braves in one fashion or another from 1977 to current time. And I suspect it has already been mentioned somewhere here that his son is currently a coach with the Astros.

I was also surprised to see that "Dirty" Al Gallagher, the Bulls' manager in '80, was a player-coach and managed a respectable 9 hits in 26 at-bats that year (another thing I have no memory of, even though I saw a number of Bulls games that year).