Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Mad Max got it done. Giants are going home and that is that.
    That was not a swing but I don’t think it was going to matter.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

A horrible call, ump just totally blew that one. But Scherzer probably had that batter’s number. Still, a miserable call and unsatisfactory way to end a great series. Poor ump’s gonna have tough time on that call.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    That was not a swing but I don’t think it was going to matter.
    I agree. Check swinging wasn’t gonna get it done, no matter how bad that call was.

The LA v Giants season long fight was extreme. As a Padres fan I was a bystander, but wow did it come down to the last game/out/strike.

Go Braves.

Terrible ending to an incredible game.

Great game. I think the Dodgers survived Dave Roberts in that game as he made 3 highly questionable decisions - not double switching to have the option to extend Trienen a second inning (as fixated upon by the TV guys); having a fly ball hitter in Taylor try to bunt with first and third and one out; and using Scherzer out of the pen to close the game (as someone who has watched Scherzer a ton the last few years, he’s usually not a great first inning pitcher and settles in as the game goes on). Glad the Dodgers won but I think these were the wrong calls.

Going forward the Dodgers have been getting a huge lift from Bellinger who gave them nothing during the regular season, but they need more from both Turners and really need Muncy to return.

Also, I’m amazed at how many guys can throw 100+ so easily! Graterol and Doval look like they are making easy BP throws and the ball explodes from their hands. So impressive

With the league championship series now set, who ya got? I checked 538 and here's how they have it...

Dodgers 54%
    Astros 22%
    Braves 13%
    Red Sox 11%

I will admit it seems like there is a really good chance the World Series will be Houston vs LA but I can definitely see scenarios where they could both lose as well. The Braves are hot, have their pitching lined up and rested and in Boston they are playing loose and have nothing to lose. Should be fun!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    With the league championship series now set, who ya got? I checked 538 and here's how they have it...

Dodgers 54%
    Astros 22%
    Braves 13%
    Red Sox 11%

I will admit it seems like there is a really good chance the World Series will be Houston vs LA but I can definitely see scenarios where they could both lose as well. The Braves are hot, have their pitching lined up and rested and in Boston they are playing loose and have nothing to lose. Should be fun!
    Woohoo, now I know the Sox are winning it all!

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Great game. I think the Dodgers survived Dave Roberts in that game as he made 3 highly questionable decisions - not double switching to have the option to extend Trienen a second inning (as fixated upon by the TV guys); having a fly ball hitter in Taylor try to bunt with first and third and one out; and using Scherzer out of the pen to close the game (as someone who has watched Scherzer a ton the last few years, he’s usually not a great first inning pitcher and settles in as the game goes on). Glad the Dodgers won but I think these were the wrong calls.
    Actually, Max could be the best closer in baseball if he were used that way. His last relief appearance before this (at least in my memory) was against Dave Roberts' Dodgers in the 2019 NLDS, game 2, where he pitched the eighth inning and struck out the side.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...01910040.shtml

I remember Sean Doolittle after the season saying that Scherzer came down to the pen and asked Doolittle, "What do I do?"

Doolittle thought "why are you asking me? You're freaking Max Scherzer", but said "do what you normally do, but faster."

Going forward the Dodgers have been getting a huge lift from Bellinger who gave them nothing during the regular season, but they need more from both Turners and really need Muncy to return.

Also, I’m amazed at how many guys can throw 100+ so easily! Graterol and Doval look like they are making easy BP throws and the ball explodes from their hands. So impressive
    Must spread … but I completely agree with your assessments of the decisions made by Robert’s in game 5. Especially the safety squeeze. Taylor has been swinging the bat well all series.

Braves walk it off in the 9th to take game 1 against the Dodgers!

This is huge for Atlanta with LA's big 3 waiting in the wings.

Braves struck out 14 times but found a way. They were gifted an exit from the top of the 9th due to a bonehead base running error by the Dodgers and then Riley knocked in Albies to walk it off.

Go Braves!!!

11 base runners to 4 so far. Tie game. Dodgers wasted a lot of chances last night, too. That’s baseball.

Go Braves! Sorry Wilson.

More inexplicable Roberts decisions. I thought he pulled Scherzer too early and then having Urias pitch the 8th was an unnecessary desperation move. When the Nats used their starters in relief in 2019 it was because the bullpen was crazy shaky, but that’s not the case for the Dodgers. I feel like they gave this one away and wasted a good Scherzer start. But props to the Braves for incredibly clutch hitting 2 nights in a row.

More inexplicable Roberts decisions. I thought he pulled Scherzer too early and then having Urias pitch the 8th was an unnecessary desperation move. When the Nats used their starters in relief in 2019 it was because the bullpen was crazy shaky, but that’s not the case for the Dodgers. I feel like they gave this one away and wasted a good Scherzer start. But props to the Braves for incredibly clutch hitting 2 nights in a row.
    I agree with mkirsh’s take on Roberts, some of whose moves have struck me — occasionally during the season as well as in these playoffs — as over-managing, too clever by half. And for such a strong team, the Dodgers also just play some bad baseball at times, e.g., Taylor’s awful base running last night, and Seager’s failure to get in front of the ball tonight, when the right baseball play was just to keep the ball in front of him, knock it down. Seager’s instinct was to “pick it” with the game on the line?? That’s bad baseball. (They lost a game to the Giants way back in July when a little-used second baseman failed to stretch for the throw on a simple force play. Bad baseball.)

The Dodgers often overcame lazy plays during the season with clutch hitting and home runs, but they’re 2-18 RISP in the first 2 NLCS games.

Braves have been clutch, Dodgers a bit clutzy.

Scherzer said he was done.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I agree with mkirsh’s take on Roberts, some of whose moves have struck me — occasionally during the season as well as in these playoffs — as over-managing, too clever by half. And for such a strong team, the Dodgers also just play some bad baseball at times, e.g., Taylor’s awful base running last night, and Seager’s failure to get in front of the ball tonight, when the right baseball play was just to keep the ball in front of him, knock it down. Seager’s instinct was to “pick it” with the game on the line?? That’s bad baseball. (They lost a game to the Giants way back in July when a little-used second baseman failed to stretch for the throw on a simple force play. Bad baseball.)

The Dodgers often overcame lazy plays during the season with clutch hitting and home runs, but they’re 2-18 RISP in the first 2 NLCS games.

In contrast to Roberts decisions, I think Brian Snitker deserves a lot of credit for the way he as managed the first two games. Almost every tough decision has been the right call so far. Putting Rossario in the leadoff spot, batting Joc in front of Duvall even though he was the NL RBI leader this year and the way he has managed the late game bullpen situations has been great.

I agree with the idea that the Dodgers have not been very sharp and have made some mistakes/blunders but as you mentioned the sole reason the Braves are up 2-0 is the Dodgers inability to get hits with runners in scoring position.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    In contrast to Roberts decisions, I think Brian Snitker deserves a lot of credit for the way he as managed the first two games. Almost every tough decision has been the right call so far. Putting Rossario in the leadoff spot, batting Joc in front of Duvall even though he was the NL RBI leader this year and the way he has managed the late game bullpen situations has been great.

I agree with the idea that the Dodgers have not been very sharp and have made some mistakes/blunders but as you mentioned the sole reason the Braves are up 2-0 is the Dodgers inability to get hits with runners in scoring position.
    And then there's Ron Washington waving runners around at third base. Seems to be working so far.

Hope he doesn't wear out his waving arm.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    And then there's Ron Washington waving runners around at third base. Seems to be working so far.

I know two lefties were coming up but I thought the move was to leave Treinen in (he only threw 9 pitches in the 7th) and bring in Urias to face Freeman if someone got on. I didn't like bringing in Urias at the time and I like it less now.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post

I agree that Roberts overthought the situation in putting in Urias. Haven't they learned from Kershaw in prior years that plugging a starting pitcher into a relief spot can change things. I was okay with Scherzer in the end against Giants, but that added to his tiring early last night. Up 2 in the 8th, was it worth throwing Urias, even if it had worked out? I disagree that the Dodgers are a lazy team, notwithstanding one play by a little-used player in one game against the Giants. I don't think Seager had time to get squarely in front of that ball. Fundamentally, yes, he at least should have leaned that way, but he played it like most all major league players would play that ball. That's a play he would normally make look easy but just missed it. It was one of those errors that doesn't technically go as an error in the box score. Leaving runners on base is killing the Dodgers. Also, the modern of approach of swinging for the fences and taking more walks and strikeouts statistically works most the time, but the last 2 nights they have had a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs and failed to make the fundamental play to score the run.

As a Dodgers' fan, I hope there is a long ways to go in the series. I wonder, though, what is the biggest regular season win differential in league championship series history for the less winning team to advance? To put it in perspective, there was more difference in wins between the Dodgers and Braves than between the Braves and the Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

Certainly having better luck than Wendell "Send'em in" Kim from back in the day.