Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Charlie Morton threw 16 pitches last night on a broken leg. He got two Ks and his last pitch was 95.9 MPH. On a broken leg.
    Yeh, the great Bob Gibson was hit by a line drive and his leg was broken. Gibby pitched to 3 more batters but couldn't go any further in the game. He was one tough cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Ray Knight landed at least one solid punch on an opposing player for those ‘86 Mets. I don’t remember who it was or the exact circumstance, but it happened at third base and his boxing skills showed.
    It was Eric Davis of the Reds, whose hard slide after stealing third set Knight off (don't think it took much). Benches cleared, and I distinctly recall Tim McCarver saying "here comes Tom Browning, he's tougher than a fast food steak".

Man, this is going to be a Johnny Allstaff Series. No McCullers, Morton goes down, etc. Urquidez pitched a gem in post-season 2 years ago, so not out of question he goes deep tonight. But the winner is going to be whoever unlocks the other team's bullpen first. That is how the Astros beat the Dodgers 4 years ago and how the Nats beat the Astros 2 years ago.

Question for Braves fans — Braves hope to win in 4, but have to plan for 6-7, yes? So, what are Snitker’s options planning forward?

Fried tonight, 5 days’ rest, that seems pretty good. Then presumably it’s Anderson on Fri, 5 days’ rest, good again, or at least as good as the Braves have available.

I don’t know much about the Braves, but enough to know Morton’s awful luck seems to have left them with only 2 starters. Do the Braves actually have a regular-season 4th, now 3d, starter for Sat?

If not, it seems Snitker has to go either: (1) 2 straight bullpen games, Sat/Sun, thus saving Fried and Anderson for games 6/7, giving them sufficient rest; or (2) bullpen game on Sa, then Fried on 3 days’ rest Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Question for Braves fans — Braves hope to win in 4, but have to plan for 6-7, yes? So, what are Snitker’s options planning forward?

Fried tonight, 5 days’ rest, that seems pretty good. Then presumably it’s Anderson on Fri, 5 days’ rest, good again, or at least as good as the Braves have available.

I don’t know much about the Braves, but enough to know Morton’s awful luck seems to have left them with only 2 starters. Do the Braves actually have a regular-season 4th, now 3d, starter for Sat?

If not, it seems Snitker has to go either: (1) 2 straight bullpen games, Sat/Sun, thus saving Fried and Anderson for games 6/7, giving them sufficient rest; or (2) bullpen game on Sa, then Fried on 3 days’ rest Sun.

I'm guessing Smyly starts one of those bullpen games, and you just gotta hope he goes deep.

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I hope others recognize the genius of this post.
    Gotta admit, I need further, ah, elucidation.

Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    Gotta admit, I need further, ah, elucidation.
    https://youtu.be/CahNAauFgys

I think we wait and see where we are after Game 3 and maybe not until after Game 4. Game 4 was always going to be bullpen/ opener/ Smyly. It’s really only game 5 that has necessarily changed. If we’re ahead in the series maybe we just blow it out with two bullpen games, knowing there’s an off day after Game 5, then Fried/ Anderson in 6/7. If we’re tied or behind, bring back Max on short rest in Game 5, Anderson on short rest in 6, and then all hands on deck in 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I think we wait and see where we are after Game 3 and maybe not until after Game 4. Game 4 was always going to be bullpen/ opener/ Smyly. It’s really only game 5 that has necessarily changed. If we’re ahead in the series maybe we just blow it out with two bullpen games, knowing there’s an off day after Game 5, then Fried/ Anderson in 6/7. If we’re tied or behind, bring back Max on short rest in Game 5, Anderson on short rest in 6, and then all hands on deck in 7.
    This is probably accurate. Also, huge that Jackson maybe got a little of his mojo back. He will now be needed even more.

The Braves got a HUGE win last night. Tonight is not a must win for Houston, but it is a much bigger game for them. If Atlanta can get 2 on the road they have to feel great about their chances. Couple that with an excellent bullpen game last night and the bats staying hot and Atlanta is playing with a lot of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post

Gonna have to mash and hopefully get an unlikely contribution from Wright or Smyly for 4-5 innings.

The Braves may add Touki Toussant who provided spot starts during the season. I think Kyle Wright and Drew Smyly have been starters in the past as well. Its definitely spit and bubble gum time, though.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    The Braves may add Touki Toussant who provided spot starts during the season. I think Kyle Wright and Drew Smyly have been starters in the past as well. Its definitely spit and bubble gum time, though.
    Touki Toussant -- talk about cool names!

Added Tucker Davidson to the roster. Going all-in on lefties.

Bet on the visitors

No home team was won a game in the World Series since 2018. The Asterisks have done their part, losing five in a row at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    No home team was won a game in the World Series since 2018. The Asterisks have done their part, losing five in a row at home.
    Umm… the home team won 3 of 6 games in the 2020 WS (games 1, 4, and 6).

Basically just the 2019 Series was weird.

Well

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Umm… the home team won 3 of 6 games in the 2020 WS (games 1, 4, and 6).

Basically just the 2019 Series was weird.
    Not really. The 2019 Series was played at a neutral site. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Not really. The 2019 Series was played at a neutral site. 😊
    A fair point about the 2020 series not being played at true home stadiums. I definitely wouldn’t bet on the road team in general though, at least not on the basis of just 8 total games (seven of them in the weird 2019 Series) .

Oh

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    A fair point about the 2020 series not being played at true home stadiums. I definitely wouldn’t bet on the road team in general though, at least not on the basis of just 8 total games (seven of them in the weird 2019 Series) .
    As to betting, my tongue was in my cheek, but as a Nats fan in DC, I’ll always remember those four wins in Houston in 2019.

Starting pitching for Braves

Braves will miss Morton going forward. Fried got tattooed tonight. The Braves have been able to shield the glaring hole of losing Soroka pretty well to this point in their season but this series now goes at least 5 games. I think they may have finally run out of pitching. The Stros look poised to hang lots of crooked numbers on the Braves pitching staff tonight and going forward. Who will step up and eat innings for the Braves? I look at their roster and aside from Anderson and Fried who got shelled tonight, I see no obvious candidates.