Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

QuadEx - New Duke Housing program

I just got an e-mail from Duke about the new QuadEx system where freshman East Campus dorms will be linked to West Campus quads for a new residential life system. I think Duke has tried various plans like this in the past but it seems like they are going all-in on this. This is the official death of on-campus housing for all selective living groups, which have been losing their on-campus presence. It sounds very Yale-like to me.

Are students happy about this?

Ironically, when I was there 15+ years ago, my freshman dorm "linked" to the same quad they're proposing now...But, yeah, they're trying to make it more of a "community" (that EVERYONE has to join) so you have residential colleges almost. I don't know the current student viewpoint on it, but obviously those in SLGs/Greek system probably are NOT happy about it given those groups will no longer have on-campus housing or much university support. Brodhead as a Yalie certainly probably put some wheels in motion, but many administrators have been pushing for something like it. Rice is another school that has a residential college system. I'm sure this system will have pros and cons for different people. There is obviously a nationwide move to have more inclusive environments.

I have strong views on it, but I’m more interested to hear how the current students view it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Ironically, when I was there 15+ years ago, my freshman dorm "linked" to the same quad they're proposing now...But, yeah, they're trying to make it more of a "community" (that EVERYONE has to join) so you have residential colleges almost. I don't know the current student viewpoint on it, but obviously those in SLGs/Greek system probably are NOT happy about it given those groups will no longer have on-campus housing or much university support. Brodhead as a Yalie certainly probably put some wheels in motion, but many administrators have been pushing for something like it. Rice is another school that has a residential college system. I'm sure this system will have pros and cons for different people. There is obviously a nationwide move to have more inclusive environments.
    I spent four-plus years at Rice as a grad student eons ago and am pretty familiar with its system. I have also seen internal Duke documents from various times that praised the Rice system Rice now has 11 residential colleges of 300-350 each; a master and his/her family in residence for every college. Each college has its own dining facilities (there may be some sharing); faculty advisers live in the dorms. But each college has its own structure or structures. Duke can't duplicate much of this, so I am not sure how it would work. The QuadEx at Duke would have 950 or so students per quad, maybe less if seniors live mostly off campus..

A Rice alum indicated that, even though assignments were random, each college developed some distinct traits and features, just -- well -- because they did.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I spent four-plus years at Rice as a grad student eons ago and am pretty familiar with its system. I have also seen internal Duke documents from various times that praised the Rice system Rice now has 11 residential colleges of 300-350 each; a master and his/her family in residence for every college. Each college has its own dining facilities (there may be some sharing); faculty advisers live in the dorms. But each college has its own structure or structures. Duke can't duplicate much of this, so I am not sure how it would work. The QuadEx at Duke would have 950 or so students per quad, maybe less if seniors live mostly off campus..

A Rice alum indicated that, even though assignments were random, each college developed some distinct traits and features, just -- well -- because they did.
    Are the residential college assignments at random or does the student have input? On the surface this appears proscriptive. The Administration now controls housing from freshman year (East Campus) through senior year via the residential college system. Off-campus could provide some sanctuary from Big Brother, I guess. The note I received gave me the impression of a social life where the administration is more involved.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    It sounds very Yale-like to me
    Oh, thank god. I was afraid Duke might do something original.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Oh, thank god. I was afraid Duke might do something original.
    I think a case could be made that the awkward use of the word "quad" is original.

On the subject of Student Affairs, I remember my Quad Ex fondly. She had the beauty of a thousand Edens and I loved her from the Hollows of my heart. I gal like that you Wannamaker proud. Alas our time was Swift and our memories Few. She found a man named Kilgo and I was too Craven to put up a fight.

The obvious concern is that this idea will push all social life off campus. I understand that universities must evolve, but this feels like Duke administrators want the university to be exactly like other Ivies rather than developing and evolving its own unique identity and culture.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    like Duke administrators want the university to be exactly like other Ivies .
    Have we switched conferences?

Are the residential college assignments at random or does the student have input? On the surface this appears proscriptive. The Administration now controls housing from freshman year (East Campus) through senior year via the residential college system. Off-campus could provide some sanctuary from Big Brother, I guess. The note I received gave me the impression of a social life where the administration is more involved.
    At Rice they are intentionally random. I assume they will be at Duke, unless they recognize roommate preferences, which is a minor wrinkle.

I also assume there will be afirestorm over the new plans from existing students and their -- ahem -- national organizations. So, we shall see what happens, won't we?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

At Rice they are intentionally random. I assume they will be at Duke, unless they recognize roommate preferences, which is a minor wrinkle.

I also assume there will be afirestorm over the new plans from existing students and their -- ahem -- national organizations. So, we shall see what happens, won't we?
    I will be interested if there is any pushback from students involved with non-Greek SLGs.

Didn’t the frats withdraw their affiliations last spring?

-jk

Notre Dame effectively has residential colleges. You generally stay in the same dorm all four years unless you escape to off-campus housing, which the university discourages. There are no fraternities or sororities at Notre Dame, at least officially.

I think Vanderbilt also is moving more toward the residential-college model.

I will be interested if there is any pushback from students involved with non-Greek SLGs.
    Good point. There are the frats (which I think are largely gone) and selective groups (in my day there were Mirecourt, CC, etc). We also had groups like arts dorm, Mi Gente and Round Table. I guess there will be no more on campus selective groups.

I’m sure that each quad will be constructed to have balanced gender, diversity, etc. Duke will not let it be “random.”

I believe Duke got rid of roommate preferences already. With social media these days, many incoming students connected with others to pick their roommate before arriving and Duke didn't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Didn’t the frats withdraw their affiliations last spring?

-jk
    Yes, the writing was on the wall...Duke had already implemented rules such as delaying rush beyond what has historically occurred. I think all but 3 fraternities disaffiliated from the university.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I have strong views on it, but I’m more interested to hear how the current students view it.
    they are super excited about not being able to choose a roommate outside of their "quad"

This is idiotic, IMO, but hey, given this is the third or fourth housing model in the last decade, I suppose I just have to wait a year or two for it to change.
    April 1

Maybe President Price got a sorting hat

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    they are super excited about not being able to choose a roommate outside of their "quad"

This is idiotic, IMO, but hey, given this is the third or fourth housing model in the last decade, I suppose I just have to wait a year or two for it to change.
    All this will do is force even more people off campus into houses and apartments. The administration really needs to start thinking about what makes Duke unique rather than how can Duke be like Yale

Of course when you force out administrators who truly understand Duke’s ethos like Dean Sue and Dean Wilson and replace them with people who are clueless to the history and uniqueness of the school, you get tin-eared policies like this

I wouldn’t be surprised if the decision to implement this type of system was a precursor to Dean Sue leaving/being shown the door rather than an effect.