Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 338
  1. #21

    The moral of the story!

    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Anyone who read that and didn't instantly think of this scene is obviously one of the three people left on this planet that hasn't seen The Princess Bride.

    Omg, CBAB, thanks for that clip! I had seen this but my addled brain didn't recall it. That's on me, as they say.

    I just can't keep pondering the moral of the story, as it related to the greater existential issue of Duke Football play calling.

    The best I can come up with is: It doesn't matter which play is called, lethal outcome, no matter what.

    It all comes down to execution, and that's on...fade to black
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

  2. #22

    Meta level stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I thought my line about setting up the jump pass was brilliant...then you had to go and top it with this ^^^^^ - so with el mucho grudgings...I sporked ya...
    Dear HBCK, We're in tricky waters here. While I greatly appreciate your humility, I think I was the one that fell into the trap of not realizing the subtle genius at work. I thought, "jump pass"? But no, that is obviously too obvious. Yet, all along, that was what the greater minds -- you and the OC -- were thinking. And I used to think that our O was lacking in deception and imagination -- hah! There is trickery going on at a much deeper level than some of us were looking for. Any ol OC can create superficial deception through five to six east-west movements among our backs and line. But the geniuses are creating mental havoc in the DCs' minds: That play call can't be that dumb or predictable, it just can't. What in heck do they have up their sleeve? Those last four 3 and outs in a row must be designed to lull us to sleep and then they spring their trap! Oh no, the dreaded Bubble Screen! This is not for the faint of heart, people!
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Dear HBCK, We're in tricky waters here. While I greatly appreciate your humility, I think I was the one that fell into the trap of not realizing the subtle genius at work. I thought, "jump pass"? But no, that is obviously too obvious. Yet, all along, that was what the greater minds -- you and the OC -- were thinking. And I used to think that our O was lacking in deception and imagination -- hah! There is trickery going on at a much deeper level than some of us were looking for. Any ol OC can create superficial deception through five to six east-west movements among our backs and line. But the geniuses are creating mental havoc in the DCs' minds: That play call can't be that dumb or predictable, it just can't. What in heck do they have up their sleeve? Those last four 3 and outs in a row must be designed to lull us to sleep and then they spring their trap! Oh no, the dreaded Bubble Screen! This is not for the faint of heart, people!
    LOL...all I can say is..the wouldn't let me double spork you!
    GREATEST SERIES END EPISODES EVER? !
    NOT MASH: either Burn Notice or The Americans.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Back to discussing the game, Georgia Tech averages 184 rushing yards per game:

    https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-t...CQRKZ4JFC6KJI/

    AJC is a good site to visit for more pre-game coverage.
    Bob Green

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Back to discussing the game, Georgia Tech averages 184 rushing yards per game:
    Which means they'll get 50 rushing yards Saturday, along with the 400 in the air.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    I worry more about our offense than theirs.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Blue-Black-Black for the uniform Saturday. Artistic reveal, but I didn’t see the logo on the helmet during the video. My guess, based on the other blue helmet games, is the script Duke.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC

    Pretty good chance of thunderstorms Saturday in Durham.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Pretty good chance of thunderstorms Saturday in Durham.
    Hopefully the lightning stays away. Green Family has brand new rain suits to deal with the wetness.
    Bob Green

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Pretty good chance of thunderstorms Saturday in Durham.
    Can fans bring bread and milk to WW?

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Sadly, my prediction is GT 35, Duke 17. Their QB will run circles around our D. We will again lose the TO battle. I'll be there trying to help our guys come rain or shine. Go Duke!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rougemont Nebulae
    I have peered into my crystal skull and it has revealed its secrets to me. It did say that prognosticating on Duke Football was a tough ask even for the omniscient crystal skull but managed to come up with a few insights

    * CS said that "little minds" forget that Gunnar Holmberg is only 5 games into his college football career and that Duke will flourish this week under his continued maturation.
    * CS predicts a very significant contribution from Durant including 2 time-consuming 2nd half drives amassing 40-60 all purpose yards per drive to help keep the GT offense off the field
    * CS reminds the "little minds" that coaches are loathe to ask too much of inexperienced QBs and that Gunnar's inexperience coupled with a Durant stinger could've contributed to the weird play-calling last week. As this point is more "analysis" than prognostication CS claims no particular expertise into why the play-calling is unimaginative to comically bizarre a good measure of the time.
    * CS offered other insights about something called "quantum mechanics" and the "multiverse" but I was losing focus so to sum: Duke 28 GT 17.
    "You will stop hearing the term 'Big Brother' because we will do it to ourselves." --Neil Postman

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    I have peered into my crystal skull and it has revealed its secrets to me. It did say that prognosticating on Duke Football was a tough ask even for the omniscient crystal skull but managed to come up with a few insights

    * CS said that "little minds" forget that Gunnar Holmberg is only 5 games into his college football career and that Duke will flourish this week under his continued maturation.
    * CS predicts a very significant contribution from Durant including 2 time-consuming 2nd half drives amassing 40-60 all purpose yards per drive to help keep the GT offense off the field
    * CS reminds the "little minds" that coaches are loathe to ask too much of inexperienced QBs and that Gunnar's inexperience coupled with a Durant stinger could've contributed to the weird play-calling last week. As this point is more "analysis" than prognostication CS claims no particular expertise into why the play-calling is unimaginative to comically bizarre a good measure of the time.
    * CS offered other insights about something called "quantum mechanics" and the "multiverse" but I was losing focus so to sum: Duke 28 GT 17.
    My "little mind" tells me if we hold GT to 17 points we will have a very good chance of winning.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Everyone on the board knows how neutral and non-biased I am...

    Duke 31, Georgia Tech 30
    Bob Green

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    College Football News game preview:

    https://collegefootballnews.com/2021...s-how-to-watch
    Bob Green

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    College Football News game preview:

    https://collegefootballnews.com/2021...s-how-to-watch
    Their preview is more depressing than their prediction of 34-27 GT.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta 'burbs
    Well, crap. Started my drive up from Atlanta for the game. Made it to Gaffney. Car trouble, made a quick patchwork repair to get me back home.

    Y’all cheer extra hard for me tomorrow.

    GO DUKE!

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Well, crap. Started my drive up from Atlanta for the game. Made it to Gaffney. Car trouble, made a quick patchwork repair to get me back home.

    Y’all cheer extra hard for me tomorrow.

    GO DUKE!
    Sorry to hear this. Be safe!
    Bob Green

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Well, crap. Started my drive up from Atlanta for the game. Made it to Gaffney. Car trouble, made a quick patchwork repair to get me back home.

    Y’all cheer extra hard for me tomorrow.

    GO DUKE!
    You could always hitchhike.

    Actually back in the 70s when I was a freshman at UNC (I know, I know) I would hitchhike from Chapel Hill to. Durham to attend Duke football games with my Duke grad dad. Good times.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Similar Threads

  1. FB: Duke 41, Georgia Tech 23
    By Bob Green in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 154
    Last Post: 10-14-2019, 12:19 AM
  2. FB: Duke 43, Georgia Tech 20
    By devildeac in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 11-21-2017, 11:00 AM
  3. FB: Duke vs. Georgia Tech, 9/26 12:00 pm EDT
    By Bob Green in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 09-26-2015, 04:32 PM
  4. FB: Georgia Tech 49, Duke 10
    By loran16 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 11-15-2009, 10:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •