Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    To say our remaining games will be dogfights is perhaps a bit optimistic. Before today, our previous 5 ACC games were blowout losses. This looked like our best chance for a league win. With the loss, my realistic goal moves from "stay in contention for a bowl bid" to "hope we can win a game in the ACC."
    I respectfully disagree... I say that the ACC is a mass of grey because the conference generally sucks at football this season. Our remaining conference games, with the exception of Wake, will all be 'winnable' dogfights because none of the remaining opponents have distinguished themselves as being particularly good at winning on the football field thus far this season. We could win any of the remaining games on our schedule (with the exception of Wake)... we could also lose any [or all] of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    I respectfully disagree... I say that the ACC is a mass of grey because the conference generally sucks at football this season. Our remaining conference games, with the exception of Wake, will all be 'winnable' dogfights because none of the remaining opponents have distinguished themselves as being particularly good at winning on the football field thus far this season. We could win any of the remaining games on our schedule (with the exception of Wake)... we could also lose any [or all] of them.
    I agree that we "could" win any of them. But that does not mean that mean they are anything like a toss up. We will be underdogs in all 6. In my opinion going 0-6 is more likely than going 3-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Official attendance was 11,849 but the crowd looked smaller.
    while of course it was nowhere near that 12k number, there were a significant number of people bunched in the seats under the tower. A moral attendance victory, if you will.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    I agree that we "could" win any of them. But that does not mean that mean they are anything like a toss up. We will be underdogs in all 6. In my opinion going 0-6 is more likely than going 3-3.
    UVA opened as 11 pt favorite this Saturday. Think most of the remaining lines will be double digit unless we actually win an ACC game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The team inherently deserves support. That's not debatable in my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I agree, which is why I was in Wallace Wade Stadium yesterday and will be there on November 6.
    Here, here! Be there!

The covered seats in sections 26 and 27, where we pay over $400 each for season tickets to not sit in the rain or direct September sun, there were more folks around us than there have been earlier in the season. I think many folks from the uncovered seats had moved up/over to be under cover.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

We could win any of the remaining games on our schedule (with the exception of Wake)... we could also lose any [or all] of them.
    I would have to add Pitt to the exception list. Not that they are as impressive a team as Wake ... I just don't think we have a prayer of defending their pass attack.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I would have to add Pitt to the exception list. Not that they are as impressive a team as Wake ... I just don't think we have a prayer of defending their pass attack.
    The same Pitt team that lost at home to Western Michigan? As I said in a previous post, with the exception of Wake, I don't think anyone left on our schedule has done anything of note that should have our guys quaking in their boots/cleats. The ACC is a muddled mess of football mediocrity this season.

The same Pitt team that lost at home to Western Michigan? As I said in a previous post, with the exception of Wake, I don't think anyone left on our schedule has done anything of note that should have our guys quaking in their boots/cleats. The ACC is a muddled mess of football mediocrity this season.
    It's a good line-up to allow us to go undefeated the rest of way, moral or otherwise.
    April 1

And yet we are very clearly at the bottom.

...and scored 52 points on Georgia Tech. We did lose to UNC Charlotte. Not sure how they stack up against Western Michigan. Carolina, who I would guess would be considered in the muddled mess, beat us by 3 touchdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    And yet we are very clearly at the bottom.
    Maybe it’s just my rose colored glasses, but haven’t we improved in each game this year? Last week folks predicted we would get clobbered because GaT beat down the cheats. We won every statistic except the most important. I get it. But with a little more improvement we can win this game.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    ...and scored 52 points on Georgia Tech. We did lose to UNC Charlotte. Not sure how they stack up against Western Michigan. Carolina, who I would guess would be considered in the muddled mess, beat us by 3 touchdowns.
    We have the talent to be mediocre in the ACC. That’s not the problem.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Maybe it’s just my rose colored glasses, but haven’t we improved in each game this year?
    The Carolina game says "no". And if there was any improvement in the GT game, it wasn't enough to win with.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The Carolina game says "no". And if there was any improvement in the GT game, it wasn't enough to win with.
    Yeah, although I will say the defense performed better than I expected - of course the offense was only worse in the second half of the Northwestern game…

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Maybe it’s just my rose colored glasses, but haven’t we improved in each game this year? Last week folks predicted we would get clobbered because GaT beat down the cheats. We won every statistic except the most important. I get it. But with a little more improvement we can win this game.
    We improved against GT compared to the play against the cheats, but our performance against the cheats was a huge step back from the previous two weeks. I'd say in the 4 games since the first game, Duke is 2-2 on the improve versus last game metric.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    We have the talent to be mediocre in the ACC. That’s not the problem.
    Precisely... And the ACC as a whole this season is tremendously mediocre...

Look, I haven't suggested we'd 'go undefeated' against the rest of our schedule (as it seems someone suggests below). I've merely pointed out that it certainly ain't a murderers row, so we can win any of the remaining games [again, with the exception, IMO, of Wake]. As I've also stated, we can certainly lose all of them. Yes, Charlotte is a really bad loss... As is Western Michigan (again, at home)—the point being that Pitt is certainly just as capable of a really bad loss as our guys are. Most of the remaining schedule will play out as a series of dogfights because the teams in the conference this season are largely dog***t—they've been inconsistent and unimpressive thus far, and I don't see that changing too much, given that everyone's basically halfway through this year's campaign...

Precisely... And the ACC as a whole this season is tremendously mediocre...

Look, I haven't suggested we'd 'go undefeated' against the rest of our schedule (as it seems someone suggests below). I've merely pointed out that it certainly ain't a murderers row, so we can win any of the remaining games [again, with the exception, IMO, of Wake]. As I've also stated, we can certainly lose all of them. Yes, Charlotte is a really bad loss... As is Western Michigan (again, at home)—the point being that Pitt is certainly just as capable of a really bad loss as our guys are. Most of the remaining schedule will play out as a series of dogfights because the teams in the conference this season are largely dog***t—they've been inconsistent and unimpressive thus far, and I don't see that changing too much, given that everyone's basically halfway through this year's campaign...
    Here are the rankings from Football Outsiders, (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fplus/2021) for our opponents this season, and Western Michigan because people keep bringing that up. Just to add a little context here in terms of where we stand relative to our opponents.

Team Defense Offense Overall
    Pittsburgh 27 22 19
    North Carolina 67 10 31
    Wake Forest 61 24 36
    Miami 34 46 42
    Virginia Tech 36 55 43
    Virginia 92 18 54
    Louisville 86 27 57
    Georgia Tech 59 64 66
    Western Michigan 90 51 79
    Northwestern 46 102 85
    Duke 80 85 86
    Charlotte 126 67 108
    Kansas 123 105 124

^ good list. It shows the nature of the challenge for our next six games.