Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5x5 Scrimmage on Youtube

Just watched the 5x5 scrimmage posted on YouTube. Certainly got me excited for the season to start.

One observation I had was that Joey Baker didn’t play, at least not in the footage. I did see him sitting on the bench in his jersey. Is he injured? Or is something else going on?

Quote Originally Posted by aivroadstr View Post
    Just watched the 5x5 scrimmage posted on YouTube. Certainly got me excited for the season to start.

One observation I had was that Joey Baker didn’t play, at least not in the footage. I did see him sitting on the bench in his jersey. Is he injured? Or is something else going on?
    Little nagging injury stuff. Nothing major. I was told that if it was a real game, he could have played.

Paolo looks like he can score from pretty much anywhere within about 30 feet of the basket and I won't be even remotely surprised if Wendell leads this team in scoring in many, many games.

When does the season start!?!?!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Maybe they are considering redshirting him?

Too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Little nagging injury stuff. Nothing major. I was told that if it was a real game, he could have played.

Paolo looks like he can score from pretty much anywhere within about 30 feet of the basket and I won't be even remotely surprised if Wendell leads this team in scoring in many, many games.

When does the season start!?!?!
    The game is easy for Paolo- Wendell is much improved. Everything will hinge on how this team plays D. I think they can score.

Calling it now....Wendel is gonna have a great season....probably will be our second leading scorer and leader in mins played.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Calling it now...Wendel is gonna have a great season...probably will be our second leading scorer and leader in mins played.
    I think so too -- good call (great season forthcoming). I don't think so for leading scorer. I think last season is gone with the wind, can just completely forget about it. There were so many things going on out of everyone's control that had nothing to do with talent, ability, or competitiveness. He didn't play bad per se he just didn't play to his full capabilities. Any expectations he had and perhaps didn't feel like he was meeting... forgotten. If he comes in mentally tough and focused, which he will, plus this year's team is better... he's going to flourish.

By the way, not sure if it was because AJ has been banged up lately but Keels got first run with the other starters. He was out there with Jeremy, Wendell, Paolo, and Mark in the first game before the coaches started moving stuff around.

Hmmmm.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Here's the link:
    2021-22 Team Scrimmage - Full Highlights (9/29/21)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Mz9qqHp6U

how well did Keels defend?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Not much defense shown in the video, other than Mark Williams swatting balls that were like 15 feet in the air. Good heavens is he long and athletic. Can’t remember a another Duke player like him. If Duke is fortunate enough to win another banner they will ask Mark to just jump up there and place it and not waste time with a crane.

Other thoughts:
    Like many of you, I thought Moore looked fantastic. Quicker, more explosive, and most importantly his jumper looked much much smoother. Maybe this is the year his excellent FT shooting translates to the 3 point line, and if so look out. Want to see more on his decision making as in the past he has had ball stopper tendencies and forced decisions at times, but hopefully maturity and confidence helps there as well

Paolo looks totally in control at all times. Uncharacteristic for a freshman. Want to see how this plays out at game speed against real competition but he could be special. Has all the tools and skills to score from anywhere on the court, and seeming the maturity to know how to take advantage of what the defense is doing.

In the limited video Roach seemed to do a good job getting into the lane under control (much like his high school rep). If he can do that there will be a lob fest for Mark and Paolo.

Didn’t see much from others; a few AJ jumpers (he puts the ball waaay up in the air but it seems to land feather soft on the rim every time), a few nice moves from Theo John, but nothing else really stuck out to me.

I know it’s a curated video only showing the good stuff, but I’m super excited for the season!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Keels didn't look as heavy as he was in earlier pictures and I thought he moved very well offensively and defensively, but looks can be deceiving in videos. Maybe Jim or Jason who has seen him in person can tell us. I don't know why, but to me it looks like AJ is a little bit behind the other players. I guess it could very well be because of his injuries.
    From the video I'm certain Coach K is not retiring because of any mental problems. Man, he's sharp as a tack.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Keels didn't look as heavy as he was in earlier pictures and I thought he moved very well offensively and defensively, but looks can be deceiving in videos. Maybe Jim or Jason who has seen him in person can tell us. I don't know why, but to me it looks like AJ is a little bit behind the other players. I guess it could very well be because of his injuries.
    From the video I'm certain Coach K is not retiring because of any mental problems. Man, he's sharp as a tack.

GoDuke!
    I agree about AJ. I thought he looked mechanical and slow.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

In his press conference earlier this week, K said that Griffin missed some time earlier this summer but has looked great the past couple of weeks. He's the biggest unknown on the team IMO, he could play like a top 5 pick or he could be limited from having missed so much time from his high school injuries. It was disappointing to not see more out of him, especially when there were reportedly some NBA scouts in the stands to he probably wanted to show out.

Moore looked great, I expect K to name him a captain and he'll have the ball in his hands managing the game a lot. This is the first time I've really seen Theo on the court as he wasn't in the first two scrimmage videos; my expectations of him are higher after seeing him but I do recognize that it's a practice scrimmage and he has an inherent advantage over the young guys at this point in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    In his press conference earlier this week, K said that Griffin missed some time earlier this summer but has looked great the past couple of weeks. He's the biggest unknown on the team IMO, he could play like a top 5 pick or he could be limited from having missed so much time from his high school injuries. It was disappointing to not see more out of him, especially when there were reportedly some NBA scouts in the stands to he probably wanted to show out.

Moore looked great, I expect K to name him a captain and he'll have the ball in his hands managing the game a lot. This is the first time I've really seen Theo on the court as he wasn't in the first two scrimmage videos; my expectations of him are higher after seeing him but I do recognize that it's a practice scrimmage and he has an inherent advantage over the young guys at this point in the season.
    I think Theo will use his experience and strength to be a unique role player that will minimize drop off while Mark is resting. What a great add for depth and practice competition.

We are absolutely loaded with talent this year. That's my takeaway. Has Coach K said it yet? "This team has a chance to be special."

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    We are absolutely loaded with talent this year. That's my takeaway. Has Coach K said it yet? "This team has a chance to be special."
    I'll be satisfied if we don't get knocked back.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    Keels and AJ are two huge question marks right now. We shall see.

It is wonderful to see Moore playing w/ fluidity and confidence.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'll be satisfied if we don't get knocked back.
    Yes, but let’s revert to the years when we did the “knocking back”!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Not much defense shown in the video, other than Mark Williams swatting balls that were like 15 feet in the air. Good heavens is he long and athletic. Can’t remember a another Duke player like him. If Duke is fortunate enough to win another banner they will ask Mark to just jump up there and place it and not waste time with a crane.

Other thoughts:
    Like many of you, I thought Moore looked fantastic. Quicker, more explosive, and most importantly his jumper looked much much smoother. Maybe this is the year his excellent FT shooting translates to the 3 point line, and if so look out. Want to see more on his decision making as in the past he has had ball stopper tendencies and forced decisions at times, but hopefully maturity and confidence helps there as well

Paolo looks totally in control at all times. Uncharacteristic for a freshman. Want to see how this plays out at game speed against real competition but he could be special. Has all the tools and skills to score from anywhere on the court, and seeming the maturity to know how to take advantage of what the defense is doing.

In the limited video Roach seemed to do a good job getting into the lane under control (much like his high school rep). If he can do that there will be a lob fest for Mark and Paolo.

Didn’t see much from others; a few AJ jumpers (he puts the ball waaay up in the air but it seems to land feather soft on the rim every time), a few nice moves from Theo John, but nothing else really stuck out to me.

I know it’s a curated video only showing the good stuff, but I’m super excited for the season!
    If Paolo is 6'10" - 6'11" (and he towers over Wendell, so I believe it) then how tall is Mark? Dude is just huge. He's almost a head taller than Paolo.

Wendell hype?

As someone who has (justifiably) been a harsh critic of Wendell Moore these past 2 seasons, I have to admit he looks like a different player now. Bigger, stronger, more explosive. These are all good things, but the real area of improvement that will unlock his potential to be a 1st round draft prospect is the basketball IQ. If he becomes a real threat as a playmaker who can read plays and make decisions at a high level on both ends, it would be a game changer for both him as an NBA prospect, and for this team, which needs him to be a stronger ball handler than he has been in the past.

Hoping what we're seeing here translates to the real games. It would be a very nice story for a guy who (IMO) has not lived up to his potential to this point.
    Last edited by kAzE; 10-01-2021 at 06:57 PM.